• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Positives thread

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious for the preacher who decided to ridicule the people he calls "cancer," starting at what point tonight was the sunshine supposed to start spreading?

I just wonder if the Reverend Beggs saw the same week of baseball that the rest of us saw.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people think it's treason to criticize the home team. Some players may believe a lineups energy comes from the fans. Some managers think winning is a product of chemistry.

Some people just prefer to make excuses, because it's easier on the ego than accountability.

Fact is, all but one team loses. Every year.

I've loved teams even with losing records because they served the game well- played as hard and as well as their ability allowed. They just got beat.

I've also been dusgusted by teams with far greater talent that were poor servants of the game. Selfish, weak, lazy, cocky, swag without the wag. These teams usually manage to still lose, but they typically don't sweat as much doing it. They just quit, or commmit suicide by stupidity,

This Reds team has been backing itself into a last chance corner for weeks. They've managed to play just well/bad enough to be the closest to not making the post season as is possible without actually not making it. They have to win the last 2 games in order to "win" home field "advantage" in a one game play-in, for the opportunity to play the best NL team in the NLDS, on the road. They have another series to win after that, to get to the World Series.

The fact is, the Reds don't really have to win either Pirates regular season game, because the Reds haven't won a home playoff game in two decades, so I don't believe playing on the road could possibly be a disadvantage.

Unless the Reds can suddenly do a 180 and start scoring runs and playing D and running the bases and pitching like a team deserving a post season spot, against teams that have, this season is about over. The body language of this team looks more like a team that lost 100 games. Where's that clubhouse chemistry now ?

I believe the harder you work, the smarter you get, the more prepared you become, and the luckier you get.

I believe good chemistry comes from winning, not the other way around.

Opportunity only rarely knocks, you have to open the door yourself, and be smart enough to invite it in, instead of running it off.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and I believe Dusty has it wrong, a little urgency isn't dangerous, except in a fan base or a GM that has an urgency for excellence. Then it's potentially dangerous if you fall short.

A little more urgency in spring training, in May, June and July, make it less pressured in September.

If you want to win, you know what is dangerous ? Status quo. Complacency. Lack of accountability. Excuses. Procrastination. Relaxation. Tolerance.

Excellence is relentless urgency.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Reds bow out this weekend and Tuesday in Pittsburgh(which I fully expect), does it lay credence to get DUSTFUCK the hell out of Cincy? A team 2nd in the national league in Strike outs and the baseball IQ of the Bad News Bears---yeah I think so. This idiot sucking on a toothpick and wearing wristbands like a 1975 12 year old MUST GO. He and his loser sidekicks Jerkoby/Berry/Spier must get out of Cincy for this team to have a chance to flourish. They need a teacher and a leader not a manager praising the opposing pitcher on sub .500 teams for dominating his lineup.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way this team has played the last two and a half months, and the way they have finished out the season. That's a big hell yes!!! WVU.

and they can also send Ludwicks ass back to St Louis as far as I am concerned!!

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Dusty's perspective that urgency is the enemy might have contributed to the sleepwalk in September... Many players were a letdown, but it simply looked like the were in the dumps....Depressed, tentative, low energy. Yea, losing can do that, but that can also contribute to losing. Players should have been fired up for post season a month ago when they could have won the division, but I got the impression they just though there was no pressure, and they had plenty of time, and a soft schedule...and they went to sleep. Of course I blame Dusty for that, but top players like Votto, BP, Choo, Bruce, Arroyo , etc didnt inject a fix either.

Teams evolve, and complacency with status quo isn't conducive to winning against smarter, hungrier teams. Reds need a few changes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all snickered in March when Izturis was chosen as our backup 2nd baseman.
Got news for ya ... he's our regular now. Funny how things that didn't matter at the time, suddenly do matter.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and those losses in May and June, and to the dregs of MLB in September didnt mean anything either.

They all count. Meanwhile, this team is a little older, maybe a little more beat up, a couple if guys eyeballing free agency, and the short talent lifespan of a MLB team, keeps ticking while Dusty plays status quo un solved crosswords on his lineup card.

This team needs a manager with a sense of urgency, and less complacency with mediocrity. Teams tend to take on the personality of the manager- and this is a group of nice, relaxed guys intelligent about too many things other than baseball 101.

They need a little hunger for excellence and less devotion to tolerance.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds sold out GABP for the last series of the year. Set a record in GABP, and although it's a moderate number compared to many venues, it's still a record...that shows the fans support the Reds, even after dissapointment.

I have no doubt, if the Reds get a chance to play again this season at home, GABP will be sold out again. There is plenty of support in Cincinnati, but I've also seen the reverse when the product is bad...and to be honest, it's been pretty bad for the last several weeks.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a little tougher selling out a weekday game in late Sept.