• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The O-Line

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heading into the season our o-line was a major point if contention.

There were many posters who questioned how well our inexperienced group would hold up, and rightfully so, given that we were set to have 3 new starters across the line.

I don't think any of us saw the across-the-board improvement to the unit coming. They've simply been outstanding. Rob Sims is playing at his usual high-level, but, (imo) we've seen marked improvement at every other spot on the line.

Raiola is playing the best ball I've ever seen him play; that extra 20 lbs seems to be making a huge difference. Larry Warford looks like an absolute steal so far. Fox and Hilliard have been every bit as good as Gosder was at right tackle, but with less mental mistakes. And for all the worrying about Reiff at left tackle he's been outstanding so far this season.

Stafford has a league-low 3 sacks through 4 games, but last year's o-line was good in pass-pro as well. Where this year's group is shining is in the run game. We got bigger, younger, and more athletic across the line this offseason and it's really showing up when we run the ball. Bush and Bell have had some monster holes to run through, and on a lot of carries their not getting touched until they reach the safeties.

I know it's early, but color me impressed through the first quarter of the season. So far we've got the best O-line in the league. Combine that with one of the NFL's better D-lines and we've got a pretty good recipe for success going forward...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on here. Can not call that rainbows from you here.

Couple other huge improvements so far is the punt game. AVG. 48.8 and NET 46.3 ranks 4th and 2nd as of now.
Defense has the Lions with +4 in turnovers. TOOO many fumbles on offense right now!! The defense is 5th in league in TO's right now.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait until the Lions draft a real LT and move Backus to G and Reiff to FB or RT. Then we'll be cooking.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost unbelievable how Reggie has been able to run thru holes via Dom and Larry the way he has. Never would have thought the line would look this good across the board.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very pleasantly surprised. The O-line has been solid thus far.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So......the sky isn't falling?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. I was certainly very worried coming into the season, but figured the shorter passing game we were implementing would make it easier.

They have done better than I could have ever imagined.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very excited about this line. Gotta give some credit to Staff, Linehan and Bush though...the playcalling, the threat of Reggie and of course the execution by Stafford to neutralize blitzes by the quick release, the good decisions, and the dumpoffs to Reggie and Joique have forced defenses to back off thus opening up the running game. Reggie has defenses playing passive with their linebackers because of his threat as a receiver. He also does a great job of reading and following blocks...we just didn't have that last year. I like Bell alot he's explosive but he still runs straight ahead.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not all that surprised. I thought we would be better overall; I just didn't think that Warford would be playing at such a high level immediately.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the LT they drafted to play LT, actually plays LT well. Imagine that. And I know it's been only a few games, but so far Lane Johnson and Luke Joekel have both looked bad. I bring this up because there were some fans arguing that these rookies were already better than Reiff after never taking one NFL snap. Fisher hasn't looked great either.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thrilled he is playing well and don't want to sound negative but the team was essentially forced to play Reiff at LT. What I see here is an indictment of the garbage coaching on this team because they were very ready to move him to guard this offseason. Glad Reiff is succeeding in spite of the coaching staff.

For the record, I was vehemently opposed to drafting one of those LT's.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thrilled he is playing well and don't want to sound negative but the team was essentially forced to play Reiff at LT. What I see here is an indictment of the garbage coaching on this team because they were very ready to move him to guard this offseason. Glad Reiff is succeeding in spite of the coaching staff.

For the record, I was vehemently opposed to drafting one of those LT's.

:10: Agree with meow. I'm still not sold on the O-line but pleasantly pleased with what I've seen thus far, I fear that it might not be the O-line but more of Reggie Bush that makes it look good. Jahvid did the same thing.....If the O-line is as good as some think then put Leshoure in the game and I think I will hear how bad the O-line is.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the LT they drafted to play LT, actually plays LT well. Imagine that. And I know it's been only a few games, but so far Lane Johnson and Luke Joekel have both looked bad. I bring this up because there were some fans arguing that these rookies were already better than Reiff after never taking one NFL snap. Fisher hasn't looked great either.

:agree: Fisher looked like Doggie Doo Doo on that Thursday night game.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Staff's release has a lot to do with the league low sacks. He is actually timed to be faster than Peyton Manning so far on the young season.

Very happy with Warford, if he keeps working hard. We could be boasting two pro bowl caliber guards.

Also, agree with Tpaul. Tiny Dancer has been balling this season.

However, with all that said. I wouldn't be angry if Mayhew spent a top pick on a stud RT to pair with Warford for the next 5 to 10 seasons.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thoroughly confused by the last two posts. They drafted him to be the Backus heir apparent. If he was going to play guard it was because he was too good to keep him off the field, and they were happy with Backus. As far as it all being Bush; Bush helps. Unless your line is just destroying people you need a back with vision. Best had great athleticism and terrible vision.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rolling posted two while I was posting so the beginning of my last post should be ignored.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still tend to think that Reiff would still be a better RT than LT, but so far he has been more than adequate at LT.

I think it is only a matter of time before we start throwing deeper passes because defenses will have to defend the short stuff better going forward. Staff will need more time to throw then he has up to now. That will give us a better idea of how good the O-line is.