• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Mahomes GOAT thread (since this comes up in multiple threads)

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana is well respected with Chiefs fans for at least one obvious reason. Montana himself said that Brady passed him up a long time ago but the reality is that these guys are all pretty self-deprecating because they all know they belong to a pretty elite fraternity. Tom
I do think its interesting that Mahomes' big contract might not start looking so big in a couple of years when all of the other contenders pay their QB. You could have Mahomes as something like the 10th highest paid QB here shortly.
Mahomes 10 year contract was brilliant. Mahomes did KC a huge solid.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PM is off to one helluva start to a career yes,but its gonna take about another 10 years for me to consider him king.......

When he gets close to Montanas status(cant comoare numbers because of a different era) then we can talk 2nd best.....
If he can get to Bradys numbers,then we can talk best ever.......

And yes,PM is a HOFer if retired today..........

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never seen anyone like him. I love watching the man play the game. He's fantastic. But it's way too early. Get back to me when he's leading his team to SBs and tossing for > 5000 yards in his 40s.... with his 2nd team.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little early for goat talk.
He's pretty damn good tho.
Indeed. And considering the number of franchise worthy QB's that have come through KC(Could count those on one hand and still have fingers left over) I'll certainly consider us blessed...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One hell of a player but not GOAT for now.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't look the same without Reid. Makes it really easy, but Mahomes does what he needs to do. Can't take that away from him. And that's the QBs #1 job, to run the offense.

There are about a half dozen QBs in the league that Reid could make look like the best ever.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is still the most talented QB of all time imo.

Montana never lost a SB. Brady won like 14 of em.

Pat might be able to beat Brady’s total (fat chance) but he already can’t beat the other two. And Rodgers has won two of the last three MVPs.

This is stupid.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He makes plays that nobody else I’ve ever watched could make. I’ve been convinced of his goat-ness ever since this third down play where he switched to his left hand and threw for the first down while being tackled.

1676438913479.jpeg

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't look the same without Reid. Makes it really easy, but Mahomes does what he needs to do. Can't take that away from him. And that's the QBs #1 job, to run the offense.

There are about a half dozen QBs in the league that Reid could make look like the best ever.
Folks said Brady couldn't do without Belichick.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care how Mahomes is ranked in comparisons.

Just finally having a quarterback in KC who has played in a winning way in the biggest games is what matters to me. He's already accomplished everything you could ask for from a franchise quarterback.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the three things he has off the charts right now are: 1) EPA, 2) Getting to AFCCG every year as a starter, 3) Unique record when trailing

Things working against him: number of young franchise QBs in the AFC, seems a little injury prone from the waist down, Chiefs defense/ST EPA during his tenure in the bottom third of the league.

Brady is so far ahead of everyone else, though, in public perception. I figured he was the obvious GOAT when he beat Atlanta in the SB. He then went to 3 Super Bowls after that winning 2 of them. At minimum, Mahomes is going to have to be at the top of the league for the next decade for a real conversation to be had.
Plus Brady convinced all doubters he was GOAT and went to a second team with a new coach and won it in year one as a senior citizen. Mahomes is ridiculous but he will probably need a couple more to enter the legit conversation until then it's Brady and no one is close imo. I think it's a plus Brady did all this with basically no running ability. Obviously times have changed with style of play over the year but he still is an immobile QB with phenomenal footwork He also crushed Mahomes in their lone SB matchup head to head. If there is one guy that can do it, it can be Mahomes and I don't necessarily think he needs to match him with SB wins or beat him that category. Longevity will definitely play a part like you said.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YET....not goat YET

That was my point in the OP, he's where Tom Brady was after 5 years, ahead of Montana after 5 years. But it feels like this guy is the one.
Bingo!! It's crazy to refer a person years away from calling it a career as the GOAT. But no question about it, he is the best QB in the NFL, bar none. His 5 year stats are insane. And if his trajectory years down the road maintains its current level, then it will be ok to include him in the GOAT conversation.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo!! It's crazy to refer a person years away from calling it a career as the GOAT. But no question about it, he is the best QB in the NFL, bar none. His 5 year stats are insane. And if his trajectory years down the road maintains its current level, then it will be ok to include him in the GOAT conversation.
If his next 5 years repeat his first five and he has 2 more MVPs and 2 more SuperBowl MVPs he's in the conversation and if he plays 15+ years and has more success he's the GOAT imo. He doesn't have to equal every Brady stat to be that. Just watching him play, if I had to pick a QB to win a game to save my life, it would be Mahomes over Brady. He does everything Brady can do and stuff Brady can't, he just hasn't done it for 20+ years....YET

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YET....not goat YET

That was my point in the OP, he's where Tom Brady was after 5 years, ahead of Montana after 5 years. But it feels like this guy is the one.
He could be the one but the GOAT talk is premature. He is off to a great start with 2 rings in the bag.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his next 5 years repeat his first five and he has 2 more MVPs and 2 more SuperBowl MVPs he's in the conversation and if he plays 15+ years and has more success he's the GOAT imo. He doesn't have to equal every Brady stat to be that. Just watching him play, if I had to pick a QB to win a game to save my life, it would be Mahomes over Brady. He does everything Brady can do and stuff Brady can't, he just hasn't done it for 20+ years....YET
I would choose Mahomes over Brady, Rodgers, and Brees even at their peaks. What separates them and allows them and other all time great QBs to still be ranked ahead of Mahomes is longevity. They have or had been consistently excellent for most of their entire careers and therefore deserve their lofty positions within the all time QB hierarchy. As you stated, Mahomes needs to show this for another X number of years, which I'd say should be a minimum of at least another half dozen, perhaps longer. But as it stands right now, he's the best QB I've ever seen in a given period of time.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to credit the Chiefs with being able to seemingly tweak their roster every year without missing a beat. It's remarkable.
You can only restructure so many contracts for just so long. Eventually all those bonuses that are spread out over five to ten years become horrendously huge dead money and kill the cap for years, regardless of how big it grows. Mahomes has rewritten his $450M deal twice. The Cjiefs in 2023 have only $12M of cap space. Mahoimes going to rewrite and take another huge bonus that will be spread over the last four years of his contract and cost $60M, $70M or $80M so they can continue to sign every free agent they have? Orlando Brown is expected to harvest at least 5 years and $130M or $22M a year. Think the Bears with $125M in cap space won't blow him away with a 5 yr/$125M guaranteed??

Mahomes is undoubtedly the best right nowwith Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and Herbert not far behind. How long can the Chiefs keep his protection in tact? Everyone knows that he's subseptable to lower leg injuries and teams are already starting to tackle him lower. Once a QB starts running, he's fair game like a RG or WR to take any hit he given and no yellow hanky.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can only restructure so many contracts for just so long. Eventually all those bonuses that are spread out over five to ten years become horrendously huge dead money and kill the cap for years, regardless of how big it grows. Mahomes has rewritten his $450M deal twice. The Cjiefs in 2023 have only $12M of cap space. Mahoimes going to rewrite and take another huge bonus that will be spread over the last four years of his contract and cost $60M, $70M or $80M so they can continue to sign every free agent they have? Orlando Brown is expected to harvest at least 5 years and $130M or $22M a year. Think the Bears with $125M in cap space won't blow him away with a 5 yr/$125M guaranteed??

Mahomes is undoubtedly the best right nowwith Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and Herbert not far behind. How long can the Chiefs keep his protection in tact? Everyone knows that he's subseptable to lower leg injuries and teams are already starting to tackle him lower. Once a QB starts running, he's fair game like a RG or WR to take any hit he given and no yellow hanky.
That's some impressive hopium.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really think the Chiefs would hire someone that wouldn’t revolve the entire offense around what Mahomes wants? Andy Reid is a hell of a coach but we can’t pretend it’s all him, Reid has had several good QB’s and none have come close to the number Mahomes has.