• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Kevin Durant/N.Y. Knicks Bandwagon: I'm Now In...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should try reading more recent articles.

Since Demps got fired and Griffin got hired, the following has happened.

Gayle Benson has denied making the "over my dead body" comment re: trading with the Lakers. She wasa asked about it directly by Ramona Shelburne and called it "totally false" and "absurd".

Alvin Gentry (the Pels coach) and Griffin have both said they like the Lakers kids.

Griffin has said that he would have taken the Lakers deal during the season (and no, it wasn't the whole roster minus Lebron).

The Knicks still seemingly have the edge because they can offer kids and the #3 pick. The Lakers can offer kids and the #4 pick.

It will likely come down to which kids the Pels like better. I haven't seen anything about what they think of the Knicks proposed kids as compared to the Lakers. The Lakers may have to figure out a way to sweeten their offer.

Also, if the rumors are true and the Knicks are shopping the #3 pick to move down....advantage Lakers over Knicks for AD

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gayle Benson has denied making the "over my dead body" comment re: trading with the Lakers. She wasa asked about it directly by Ramona Shelburne and called it "totally false" and "absurd".

Alvin Gentry (the Pels coach) and Griffin have both said they like the Lakers kids.

Griffin has said that he would have taken the Lakers deal during the season (and no, it wasn't the whole roster minus Lebron).

The Knicks still seemingly have the edge because they can offer kids and the #3 pick. The Lakers can offer kids and the #4 pick.

It will likely come down to which kids the Pels like better. I haven't seen anything about what they think of the Knicks proposed kids as compared to the Lakers. The Lakers may have to figure out a way to sweeten their offer.
Of course, this change in tone/rhetoric towards the Lakers can also be explained by the fact that it is strategically smarter for the Pelicans to feign interest in the Lakers as a trading partner... that at least creates the illusion of a bigger bidding war for AD and drives the price up theoretically.

So it could very well be the case that enmity for the Lakers within the Pelicans organization is still a very big factor in the overall equation... but this enmity is simply under the surface now, for obvious strategic reasons.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all forget one major item......the Pelicans do NOT have to trade Anthony Davis. They can keep him, see what happens with him and for him with Zion aboard. If it doesn't work then they can trade AD to the Celtics in mid season and still score with a boatload of picks and some young players.

If I was the GM, I'd be telling AD not to pack his BVDs just yet.

There is absolutely "0" chance that the Pels will trade AD this offseason, but if I was Clutch, I would advise AD not to pack his BDV (in order to move from N.O.) ever...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

I think NY's package is better than Boston's.

I also rate LAL higher than Boston because I don't think they will put forth anything close to their best package.

That being said, LA only has a legit chance if NY and Boston don't go all out to get AD (highly possible). Also, LA's trade package is a lot better now that they hold the 4th pick. In January it was looking like it would be out of the lottery if the Lakers completed the trade.

NY’s package wasn’t better than what Boston could offer, even when they had Porzingis. It definitely isn’t now that Porzingis is gone.

Marcus Smart is a 1st team all NBA defensive pick at Guard. Jason Tatum is the best player out of all the guys who can be offered between NY, Boston and LA. And no team has the amount of draft picks Boston can package together with it.

It comes down to who wants to pay up. If Boston does — they will get him over any package NY or LA can offer.

The Knicks can offer what? Dennis Smith Jr, who is essentially a poor man’s version of Jrue Holiday?

Tim Hardaway or Kevin Knox? Between the two they shot 37% from the floor. Knox is fun to watch dunk, but he is one of the most inefficient players in the NBA at this point.

Mitchell Robinson? He is a solid rebounder, but in today’s NBA, teams aren’t building around an on the block center who can step out and help spread the floor (trust me — I’m stuck watching Andre Drummond)

I guess we shall see. The only team I see with the type of young players and draft picks needed to acquire someone like AD is Boston.

I think LA and NY are the two teams who are willing to trade the farm to get AD, but when the best player between the two teams they can offer is Kyle Kuzma. I don’t see a deal getting done unless NO is out of options.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No offense, but the players the Lakers can offer aren’t very good. Ball looks like a disaster. Until Ingram puts on about 30-40 lbs, he will be an injury waiting to happen — guy is 6’9” and weighs like 180 lbs.
Kyle Kuzma is the best player you have to offer, but it will take a hell of a lot more than that to get AD.

I think the Lakers and Knicks would agree to any deal to get AD.

I don’t see either team having the players necessary to get a deal done though.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that Ainge has decided to build the future around Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown. Trading them doesn't appear to be the way he wants to go. That and Kyrie refuses to commit to anything. Ainge has decided that Kyrie will not be back and he has to make some other moves, like possibly trying to keep Rozier.

I think the smart move is to move on and let Kyrie go wherever he wants.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read today that Ainge has decided to build the future around Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown. Trading them doesn't appear to be the way he wants to go. That and Kyrie refuses to commit to anything. Ainge has decided that Kyrie will not be back and he has to make some other moves, like possibly trying to keep Rozier.

I think the smart move is to move on and let Kyrie go wherever he wants.
Did Danny Ainge actually say or suggest that?

Link?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY’s package wasn’t better than what Boston could offer, even when they had Porzingis. It definitely isn’t now that Porzingis is gone.

Marcus Smart is a 1st team all NBA defensive pick at Guard. Jason Tatum is the best player out of all the guys who can be offered between NY, Boston and LA. And no team has the amount of draft picks Boston can package together with it.

It comes down to who wants to pay up. If Boston does — they will get him over any package NY or LA can offer.

The Knicks can offer what? Dennis Smith Jr, who is essentially a poor man’s version of Jrue Holiday?

Tim Hardaway or Kevin Knox? Between the two they shot 37% from the floor. Knox is fun to watch dunk, but he is one of the most inefficient players in the NBA at this point.

Mitchell Robinson? He is a solid rebounder, but in today’s NBA, teams aren’t building around an on the block center who can step out and help spread the floor (trust me — I’m stuck watching Andre Drummond)

I guess we shall see. The only team I see with the type of young players and draft picks needed to acquire someone like AD is Boston.

I think LA and NY are the two teams who are willing to trade the farm to get AD, but when the best player between the two teams they can offer is Kyle Kuzma. I don’t see a deal getting done unless NO is out of options.

It doesnt matter what Boston could offer, it’s what they will offer and from reports they are done pursuing AD. Plus Boston would still risk a rental bc Kyrie is most likely gone.

Kuzma wouldnt be the best player in the deal. It would be Ingram. Somehow getting another top 7 pick could help LA but I doubt someone will do that for Ball. Griffin from reports loves the projectio of Holdiday and Ball though...all rumors though. We wont know until after the season bc nothing can essentially happen till then. Should be interesting

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, this?:

https://www.clnsmedia.com/podcasts/danny-ainge-prepared-to-build-celtics-around-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown

Danny Ainge isn't quoted at all in this report. Rather, an anonymous "NBA insider" is vaguely alluded to.

It's asshat stuff.

There is a lot of noise certain times of year... the lead-in to the NBA draft is one of those times. Most of it is worthless.

But it still makes sense. Why pursue AD? You basically are losing Tatum, maybe Brown and picks + Kyrie in FA for AD. Why would AD commit long-term to that. Building around a 20 year old Tatum is a more logical idea. Having those 3 1st rounds picks could be huge, they could get an AS or even star from one of those picks possibly...who knows. Only way I see them going after AD is if Kyrie commits...I just think at this point that option seems very unlikely

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Ainge isn't quoted at all in this report. Rather, an anonymous "NBA insider" is vaguely alluded to.

Danny has been talking privately to a lot of the media. He hasn't had a press conference since his heart attack.
Chris Forsberg said pretty much the same thing on Boston Sports Tonight a couple of days ago. The BR article may be quoting him.

My gut tells me that Ainge is pretty sure Kyrie is gone and the AD isn't worth the truckload of talent and picks it will take to bring him to Boston.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it still makes sense. Why pursue AD? You basically are losing Tatum, maybe Brown and picks + Kyrie in FA for AD.
I don't think they do it if Kyrie doesn't agree to resign.

If Kyrie does agree to resign to play with AD... it makes plenty of sense. The argument is win a title in '19-'20.

The alternative is treading water and not really competing for a championship.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny has been talking privately to a lot of the media.
A GM who telegraphs his plays to the media in such a way sounds like a terrible GM... that's not Danny Ainge... in any event, you should take anything that any GM says with a million grains of salt.

Not that Danny Ainge has even said or suggested what you seem to think... because he hasn't.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter what Boston could offer, it’s what they will offer and from reports they are done pursuing AD. Plus Boston would still risk a rental bc Kyrie is most likely gone.

Kuzma wouldnt be the best player in the deal. It would be Ingram. Somehow getting another top 7 pick could help LA but I doubt someone will do that for Ball. Griffin from reports loves the projectio of Holdiday and Ball though...all rumors though. We wont know until after the season bc nothing can essentially happen till then. Should be interesting

Ingram may have been the higher draft pick, but Kuzma has been the better player.
It is Kuzma who was named to the 1st team all-rookie team, and it was Kuzma who was the #2 option in LA last year.
Ingram is a solid player, but he is an injury waiting to happen. He looks like he has anorexia, he is so skinny.

And no chance does a team trade away a top 10 pick for Lonzo Ball. Until Ball proves he can stay healthy and learns how to shoot (30% from 3, 41% on free throws) — they won’t get much value from him. On top of that — you have to deal with his headache of a dad. Ball is a really, REALLY poor man’s Ben Simmons.

This is why they couldn’t get a deal done last year. LA has a couple solid, but nothing special players. And I have no clue why they would want Holiday and Ball alongside each other. Both are at their best when they are ball dominant. Taking the ball out of Holiday’s hands takes away his value and no chance is Ball playing off the ball, as he is a brutal shooter and teams can just leave him unguarded on the perimeter.

I do agree — Boston won’t offer what they could, as it could essentially turn into a rental. But if they got a long term commitment — they are the only team who could offer what NO is looking for.
I think the Knicks are 2nd, but again, the best player they can send is ball dominant point guard in Dennis Smith. Something NO doesn’t need.
So who knows? I still think the chance of playing alongside Zion and Holiday, with the money available to bring in other talent could sway AD to stay in NO now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but the players the Lakers can offer aren’t very good.

Griffin and Gentry (among others) disagree with you.

Ball looks like a disaster.

Clearly, you've either never seen him play or think that scoring is all there is to basketball. He has elite passing skills, elite vision and plays very good defense. If he never improves his shooting he'll still have a long career as a solid starting point guard, so hardly a "disaster".

Until Ingram puts on about 30-40 lbs, he will be an injury waiting to happen — guy is 6’9” and weighs like 180 lbs.

He's put on some weight and was playing at an all star level before he got hurt.

Kyle Kuzma is the best player you have to offer, but it will take a hell of a lot more than that to get AD.

Not necessarily. As I said, Ingram was playing at an all star level before he got hurt. As good as Kuzma has been, he is also about as good as he'll ever be. Ingram can be an all star.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your mistake is that you are only considering the player's ability level and not their ability level in context with their contract, which actually determines their trade value.

For example, Marcus Smart is a good player with trade value, but at $12 million a year, he is who he is and he has little trade value for a team like the Pelicans.

While Jaylen Brown is a very good player, he only has 1 year on his rookie deal and the team acquiring him will have to pay him a lot of money next season to keep him. Robinson, on the other hand has loads of upside and 3 years until he reaches RFA.

Jaylen Brown is a far superior player today. Robinson has more trade value because the years remaining on his contract in relation to Brown's. A rebuilding team would take Robinson over Brown every time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't heard that. Why would they trade down?

They had some talk with the Hawks about getting both their top 10 picks for the 3rd, heard it wasnt serious. Also hearing rumors the Cavs want to trade up to 3. All rumors