• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Kevin Durant/N.Y. Knicks Bandwagon: I'm Now In...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one would have asked me on the morning of Thursday, May 14th, I would have labeled a potential Durant signing with the Knicks as a feeble and short-sighted move on his part. However, after the results of the draft lottery, my opinion on the matter has done a complete 180. It actually makes complete sense now for Durant, the Knicks, the Pelicans, and the league in general.

As crazy as it may sound, New Orleans winning the lottery actually helps the Knicks (with them staying in the top three) in any potential quest to trade for Anthony Davis. Such a package would be enticing to bring in A.D. to pair with Durant as well as one other potential max signing, either Kemba or Kyrie (I personally prefer Kemba for that team).

Say New York offers the #3 pick (let's call him R.J. Barrett), along with Dennis Smith Jr., Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, the Mavs' 2021 pick, and a filler or two (either a second round pick and/or the non-guaranteed contract of Lance Thomas), New Orleans' lineup would then look like this:
  • Point Guard - Dennis Smith Jr. or Jrue Holiday
  • Shooting Guard - Jrue Holiday or R.J. Barrett
  • Small Forward - R.J. Barrett or Kevin Knox
  • Power Forward - Zion Williamson
  • Center - Mitchell Robinson, Jahlil Okafor, or FA signing
And with Julius Randle likely having played his way out of the Pels' price range for the summer, this team will still be young enough that they'll take their lumps in the Western Conference, and in turn will be in the mix for another impact player in the lottery next year, regardless of where they may pick.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Durant can do whatever he wants and no one should ever be allowed to question him. :L :L :L

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If one would have asked me on the morning of Thursday, May 14th, I would have labeled a potential Durant signing with the Knicks as a feeble and short-sighted move on his part. However, after the results of the draft lottery, my opinion on the matter has done a complete 180. It actually makes complete sense now for Durant, the Knicks, the Pelicans, and the league in general.

As crazy as it may sound, New Orleans winning the lottery actually helps the Knicks (with them staying in the top three) in any potential quest to trade for Anthony Davis. Such a package would be enticing to bring in A.D. to pair with Durant as well as one other potential max signing, either Kemba or Kyrie (I personally prefer Kemba for that team).

Say New York offers the #3 pick (let's call him R.J. Barrett), along with Dennis Smith Jr., Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, the Mavs' 2021 pick, and a filler or two (either a second round pick and/or the non-guaranteed contract of Lance Thomas), New Orleans' lineup would then look like this:
  • Point Guard - Dennis Smith Jr. or Jrue Holiday
  • Shooting Guard - Jrue Holiday or R.J. Barrett
  • Small Forward - R.J. Barrett or Kevin Knox
  • Power Forward - Zion Williamson
  • Center - Mitchell Robinson, Jahlil Okafor, or FA signing
And with Julius Randle likely having played his way out of the Pels' price range for the summer, this team will still be young enough that they'll take their lumps in the Western Conference, and in turn will be in the mix for another impact player in the lottery next year, regardless of where they may pick.

I think the opposite. I think the draft killed the Knicks chances of getting Durant, unless Durant convinces someone other than AD to go to NY with him.

I think with NO getting the #1 pick and Zion Williamson, the front office will try to get AD to stay and it could definitely work.

I’m sure Durant won’t have much trouble convincing another superstar to join him if he does go to NY. I just don’t think it will be Davis. If Davis is traded — I think it’ll be to Boston.

But who knows? You never know in the NBA. Either way you look at it — NO either gets to keep one of the best players in the NBA, and draft Zion Williamson. Or they trade Davis for a king’s ransom and build a team around Williamson.

Personally — Id like to see how AD and Williamson would look together on the court. I think they’d compliment each other quite well and if they put some guys around them to knock down 3’s — they will be a tough team.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all forget one major item......the Pelicans do NOT have to trade Anthony Davis. They can keep him, see what happens with him and for him with Zion aboard. If it doesn't work then they can trade AD to the Celtics in mid season and still score with a boatload of picks and some young players.

If I was the GM, I'd be telling AD not to pack his BVDs just yet.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the opposite. I think the draft killed the Knicks chances of getting Durant, unless Durant convinces someone other than AD to go to NY with him.

I think with NO getting the #1 pick and Zion Williamson, the front office will try to get AD to stay and it could definitely work.

I’m sure Durant won’t have much trouble convincing another superstar to join him if he does go to NY. I just don’t think it will be Davis. If Davis is traded — I think it’ll be to Boston.

But who knows? You never know in the NBA. Either way you look at it — NO either gets to keep one of the best players in the NBA, and draft Zion Williamson. Or they trade Davis for a king’s ransom and build a team around Williamson.

Personally — Id like to see how AD and Williamson would look together on the court. I think they’d compliment each other quite well and if they put some guys around them to knock down 3’s — they will be a tough team.

Disagree.

Sure, NO wants AD to stay. That does not mean he will. All indications are that he still wants out.

NOLA at 1 and NY at 3 greatly improves the odds of AD and KD playing together in NY. Barrett at the center of an AD trade should interest the Pelicans very much.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree.

Sure, NO wants AD to stay. That does not mean he will. All indications are that he still wants out.

NOLA at 1 and NY at 3 greatly improves the odds of AD and KD playing together in NY. Barrett at the center of an AD trade should interest the Pelicans very much.

He wants out because like every other star, they want to be paired with other superstars. New Orleans just won the chance to add that superstar for cheap for 4 years.
Adding Zion on what will be essentially a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, gives New Orleans the opportunity, if they can convince AD to stay, to add another star alongside him. I believe NO has like 40 million coming off their books.
Of course — this all comes down to ownership and if they are willing to spend.

I honestly don’t see NY putting a package together better than Boston can put together. I think he ends up going to Boston. New Orleans doesn’t care where Davis wants to go — they are going after the max return if he is traded. No one has the young talent and draft picks Boston has.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wants out because like every other star, they want to be paired with other superstars. New Orleans just won the chance to add that superstar for cheap for 4 years.
Adding Zion on what will be essentially a 4 year 40 million dollar deal, gives New Orleans the opportunity, if they can convince AD to stay, to add another star alongside him. I believe NO has like 40 million coming off their books.

I honestly don’t see NY putting a package together better than Boston can put together. I think he ends up going to Boston. New Orleans doesn’t care where Davis wants to go — they are going after the max return if he is traded. No one has the young talent and draft picks Boston has.

Don't see them convincing AD to stay. Zion isn't enough. NO was far away from being good and while they may finally have a competent GM at the helm AD has been pretty clear that he still wants to move on. And unless he changes course, the Pelicans have to trade him.

Not going to get into the details, but the Knicks package is at least comparable to the Celtics best package, and it is increasingly unlikely that the Celtics would be willing to offer their best deal if Kyrie walks as expected. Because then AD is just a rental in Boston.

I don't expect anything to happen before free agency opens, but NY will be in the driver's seat if they are able to sign Durant. They have the trade package to get a deal done and also the cap space to keep Davis around afterwards.

I rank Davis' potential destination next season in the following order:

1) NY Knicks
2) Lakers
3) Random team nobody sees coming
4) Celtics
5) Pelicans

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zion is a rookie, AD is smart enough to know even if this talented rookie blossoms into a star it will take 2-3 years AT LEAST and they still need to build a team around them. AD and NO’s relationship is all but toast, what happened, happened. It’s time to move on as much as NO wants AD to stay

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) NY Knicks
2) Lakers
4) Celtics
5) Pelicans
Gotta put the C's higher than that.

For this reason: What is the C's plan if they don't go hard after AD?

This year's playoffs proves the rule that you need a top, superstar talent to legitimately compete for a NBA championship. And the C's don't currently have one.

So the C's should be motivated to make this move... very motivated.

Not saying it's a sure thing or anything like that... just highlighting the fact that the Celtics don't have great options otherwise. We must remember that this iteration of the Boston team has been building for a long time... it would be majorly disappointing if they slide back towards anything resembling rebuild mode.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion is a rookie, AD is smart enough to know even if this talented rookie blossoms into a star it will take 2-3 years AT LEAST and they still need to build a team around them. AD and NO’s relationship is all but toast, what happened, happened. It’s time to move on as much as NO wants AD to stay
Just like LeBron was never coming back to Cleveland because the relationship was toast when he gave the state of Ohio the middle finger on national tv and chose Miami?!?

And since when does it takes 2-3 years? Ayton averaged 16 and 10. Doncic averaged 22, 8 and 6. Trae Young averaged 20, 8 and 4.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see them convincing AD to stay. Zion isn't enough. NO was far away from being good and while they may finally have a competent GM at the helm AD has been pretty clear that he still wants to move on. And unless he changes course, the Pelicans have to trade him.

Not going to get into the details, but the Knicks package is at least comparable to the Celtics best package, and it is increasingly unlikely that the Celtics would be willing to offer their best deal if Kyrie walks as expected. Because then AD is just a rental in Boston.

I don't expect anything to happen before free agency opens, but NY will be in the driver's seat if they are able to sign Durant. They have the trade package to get a deal done and also the cap space to keep Davis around afterwards.

1) NY Knicks
2) Lakers
4) Celtics
5) Pelicans

The Lakers literally offered them their entire roster other than LeBron and NO turned them down. The Lakers have no chance at all to trade for Davis, unless they find a third team with players NO wants.

Boston has Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, etc. They also has 2019 or 2020 1st round picks from Memphis, Sacramento and the Clippers, to go along with their 1st round picks.

The Knicks and Lakers could put their trade package together and couldn’t put a package together to match what Boston can offer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta put the C's higher than that.

For this reason: What is the C's plan if they don't go hard after AD?

This year's playoffs proves the rule that you need a top, superstar talent to legitimately compete for a NBA championship. And the C's don't currently have one.

So the C's should be motivated to make this move... very motivated.

Not saying it's a sure thing or anything like that... just highlighting the fact that the Celtics don't have great options otherwise. We must remember that this iteration of the Boston team has been building for a long time... it would be majorly disappointing if they slide back towards anything resembling rebuild mode.

If the Celtics do trade for AD, it is going to cost something like Tatum, Brown + contract + picks.

If they pay that kind of price, it is highly unlikely that AD would stay beyond 1 year, making it less likely the Celtics would be willing to pay the necessary cost.

That Is why i have the Celtics so low. I am assuming Kyrie is out and they won't be willing to pay the price.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers literally offered them their entire roster other than LeBron and NO turned them down. The Lakers have no chance at all to trade for Davis, unless they find a third team with players NO wants.

Boston has Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, etc. They also has 2019 or 2020 1st round picks from Memphis, Sacramento and the Clippers, to go along with their 1st round picks.

The Knicks and Lakers could put their trade package together and couldn’t put a package together to match what Boston can offer

I disagree.

I think NY's package is better than Boston's.

I also rate LAL higher than Boston because I don't think they will put forth anything close to their best package.

That being said, LA only has a legit chance if NY and Boston don't go all out to get AD (highly possible). Also, LA's trade package is a lot better now that they hold the 4th pick. In January it was looking like it would be out of the lottery if the Lakers completed the trade.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics do trade for AD, it is going to cost something like Tatum, Brown + contract + picks.

If they pay that kind of price, it is highly unlikely that AD would stay beyond 1 year, making it less likely the Celtics would be willing to pay the necessary cost.

That Is why i have the Celtics so low. I am assuming Kyrie is out and they won't be willing to pay the price.
I doubt the C's are willing to give up Brown in any potential trade... I agree that the C's would balk at that sort of demand.

So the trade would have to be headlined by Tatum, Memphis pick plus Smart and filler.

After that... yes, all of this would have to be worked in conjunction with Kyrie... with the understanding that Kyrie will stay if the C's get AD.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like LeBron was never coming back to Cleveland because the relationship was toast when he gave the state of Ohio the middle finger on national tv and chose Miami?!?

And since when does it takes 2-3 years? Ayton averaged 16 and 10. Doncic averaged 22, 8 and 6. Trae Young averaged 20, 8 and 4.

Total different situation. AD sat out half of a season and he asked to be traded many times. Lebron was ridiculed by the owner and fans after he left to Miami. The situations are different

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

I think NY's package is better than Boston's.

I also rate LAL higher than Boston because I don't think they will put forth anything close to their best package.

That being said, LA only has a legit chance if NY and Boston don't go all out to get AD (highly possible). Also, LA's trade package is a lot better now that they hold the 4th pick. In January it was looking like it would be out of the lottery if the Lakers completed the trade.

Yeah it actually looks like Boston has decided to not pursue AD anymore and build around Tatum. Right now we know LA and NY are interested and whatever other teams gets in the mix. The Lakers are the only one to actually offer anything but since they have new GM

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it actually looks like Boston has decided to not pursue AD anymore and build around Tatum. Right now we know LA and NY are interested and whatever other teams gets in the mix. The Lakers are the only one to actually offer anything but since they have new GM

Right

And NY only seriously gets involved if they land a big fish or 2 in free agency.

If they strike out, they won't be players for AD either.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Durant can do whatever he wants and no one should ever be allowed to question him. :L :L :L

Clearly in bounds. And Klay is so awesome he can make 2 steps look like 3.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You should try reading more recent articles.

Since Demps got fired and Griffin got hired, the following has happened.

Gayle Benson has denied making the "over my dead body" comment re: trading with the Lakers. She wasa asked about it directly by Ramona Shelburne and called it "totally false" and "absurd".

Alvin Gentry (the Pels coach) and Griffin have both said they like the Lakers kids.

Griffin has said that he would have taken the Lakers deal during the season (and no, it wasn't the whole roster minus Lebron).

The Knicks still seemingly have the edge because they can offer kids and the #3 pick. The Lakers can offer kids and the #4 pick.

It will likely come down to which kids the Pels like better. I haven't seen anything about what they think of the Knicks proposed kids as compared to the Lakers. The Lakers may have to figure out a way to sweeten their offer.