• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hobbit 1: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There would be no Star Wars without LOTR.

Feanor>>>>Frodo>>>Bilbo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any Star Wars Character

facts-about-europe.jpg

BowLLoveR

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All I remember about the Hobbit book was the ending was horrible

This long drawn out book with a quick wrap up that made little sense

BowLLoveR

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Battle of Five Armies?

It was a long time ago

All I remember is a ton of people all show up and there is a huge build up, then he just sneaks in, or escapes or does something with his invisbility ring and then it all just ends...

Just remember being terribly disapointed in the end

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a long time ago

All I remember is a ton of people all show up and there is a huge build up, then he just sneaks in, or escapes or does something with his invisbility ring and then it all just ends...

Well, it IS a children's book.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolkien did wrap things up in his books which may seem like they dragged on for a bit. The movies left out the real ending to The Return of the King even though it hinted at it when Frodo looked into Galadriel's mirror while in Lothlorien.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a long time ago

Bilbo uses the ring to sneak in to the dragon's lair, and basically just pisses him off.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bilbo uses the ring to sneak in to the dragon's lair, and basically just pisses him off.

Hmm, didn't that happen about 3/4 the way through the book? I recall a battle and then something about talking animals in the north somewhere. Been awhile, I admit.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolkien did wrap things up in his books which may seem like they dragged on for a bit. The movies left out the real ending to The Return of the King even though it hinted at it when Frodo looked into Galadriel's mirror while in Lothlorien.

The Razing of the Shire or some such. Saruman and Wormtongue went to the shire and industrialized it.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah but you knew that wasn't going to happen with how they dealt with Sauruman and Wormtongue in Two Towers.........

He'd almost had to have done 4 movies if he kept the original ending.

I would have liked to have seen Tom Bombadil.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you knew that wasn't going to happen with how they dealt with Sauruman and Wormtongue in Two Towers.........

He'd almost had to have done 4 movies if he kept the original ending.

I would have liked to have seen Tom Bombadil.

They could have cut 2-3 of the "endings" and did the Scouring ...but, yea, it would have been to long if they tried doing it right... I was okay without Tom...it would have just confused non-readers...Even with all the deviations there isn't anything to have major complaints about, I think. The changes were well done.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmm, didn't that happen about 3/4 the way through the book? I recall a battle and then something about talking animals in the north somewhere. Been awhile, I admit.

LOL I didn't realize I posted that. I had more and thought I clicked "cancel" lol.

Basically the Dwarves and Bilbo are on their way to retrieve a treasure that was stolen from the family of the main dwarf, Thorin. There are 13 dwarves and that's seen as an unlucky number, which is why Bilbo was picked up for the ride to make it 14.

Before Bilbo and the Dwarves made it to the Lonely Mountain, they were rescued by the Eagles from goblins riding Wargs(giant wolves). The goblins were after them because Gandalf killed the Goblin King like a boss.

Eventually Gandalf dips out to go do some wizard shit, and Bilbo and the gang makes it to the Mountain on their own. I left a lot out here, just keep in mind they pissed off a whole army of elves on the way.

Bilbo uses the ring to disappear and try to steal something from Smaug the Dragon, but Smaug can smell him and asks him wtf is he doing. In talking to Bilbo, Smaug thinks Bilbo is one of the Lake Men, which are the people who built a town on the surface of the lake near Smaug's mountain.

Well Smaug goes apeshit and starts fucking the town up something serious. In their conversation, Bilbo noticed a weakness in Smaug's armor, and sent message to Bard of Lake Town who promptly drops Smaug out of the sky with one black arrow.

So now the dragon is dead, Laketown is fucked, and there are some pissed off elves on their way.

Laketown wants some of the treasure to rebuild the town and because one of their bad asses killed the dragon. The elves want some, can't remember why exactly. Probably because their prissy asses are pissed in general. The dwarves are greedy as hell and tell em all to piss of they aint getting jack.

So the dwarves call in reinforcements, and the armies of dwarf, elf, and men are about to have a triple threat over a big pile of gold. Right before they can throw down, the goblins and wargs crash the party, still pissed about the king being offed.

The original three armies put their shit aside and team up because fuck goblins. So you have a battle of 4 armies going down. Well the goblins are getting the upper hand, until the Eagles hear about whats going down and remember that they live by the "fuck a goblin" creed and bring their army in to rout those bastards.

That's the battle of five armies. After that the book slows down to everyone getting along and splitting up the treasure like diplomats. During the trip, Bilbo got "Sting", a sword that glows when evil is near, and mithril chainmail, which is worth more than the entire Shire.

These two items, along with the ring, are seen in the LOTR movies as they were handed down to Frodo.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all, I'm looking forward to The Hobbit as I love the LOTR. Should not dissappoint....

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I didn't realize I posted that. I had more and thought I clicked "cancel" lol.

Basically the Dwarves and Bilbo are on their way to retrieve a treasure that was stolen from the family of the main dwarf, Thorin. There are 13 dwarves and that's seen as an unlucky number, which is why Bilbo was picked up for the ride to make it 14.

Before Bilbo and the Dwarves made it to the Lonely Mountain, they were rescued by the Eagles from goblins riding Wargs(giant wolves). The goblins were after them because Gandalf killed the Goblin King like a boss.

Eventually Gandalf dips out to go do some wizard shit, and Bilbo and the gang makes it to the Mountain on their own. I left a lot out here, just keep in mind they pissed off a whole army of elves on the way.

Bilbo uses the ring to disappear and try to steal something from Smaug the Dragon, but Smaug can smell him and asks him wtf is he doing. In talking to Bilbo, Smaug thinks Bilbo is one of the Lake Men, which are the people who built a town on the surface of the lake near Smaug's mountain.

Well Smaug goes apeshit and starts fucking the town up something serious. In their conversation, Bilbo noticed a weakness in Smaug's armor, and sent message to Bard of Lake Town who promptly drops Smaug out of the sky with one black arrow.

So now the dragon is dead, Laketown is fucked, and there are some pissed off elves on their way.

Laketown wants some of the treasure to rebuild the town and because one of their bad asses killed the dragon. The elves want some, can't remember why exactly. Probably because their prissy asses are pissed in general. The dwarves are greedy as hell and tell em all to piss of they aint getting jack.

So the dwarves call in reinforcements, and the armies of dwarf, elf, and men are about to have a triple threat over a big pile of gold. Right before they can throw down, the goblins and wargs crash the party, still pissed about the king being offed.

The original three armies put their shit aside and team up because fuck goblins. So you have a battle of 4 armies going down. Well the goblins are getting the upper hand, until the Eagles hear about whats going down and remember that they live by the "fuck a goblin" creed and bring their army in to rout those bastards.

That's the battle of five armies. After that the book slows down to everyone getting along and splitting up the treasure like diplomats. During the trip, Bilbo got "Sting", a sword that glows when evil is near, and mithril chainmail, which is worth more than the entire Shire.

These two items, along with the ring, are seen in the LOTR movies as they were handed down to Frodo.

OK, but in the book, wasn't there a talking bear somewhere? I suppose I could make my lazy ass google it.

Yes, there was a guy named Beorn that could turn into a bear.

Beorn will appear in the two-film adaptation of The Hobbit.
The Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Beorn never actually shape-shifts between man and bear-form during the narrative of The Hobbit book: he is encountered in both forms, but his actual transformation appears "off-screen", away from the point of view of the main characters. Comments made by Weta Workshop indicate that in the adaptation, Beorn's transformation from man to bear will be a major special effects sequence.

I suppose I should reread it to the kids sometime.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have cut 2-3 of the "endings" and did the Scouring ...but, yea, it would have been to long if they tried doing it right... I was okay without Tom...it would have just confused non-readers...Even with all the deviations there isn't anything to have major complaints about, I think. The changes were well done.

Although if they did the "Scouring" story, they would have had to do Frodo and Bilbo leaving at the Grey Havens. I didn't have problem with multiple endings leaving the story of a happy note.

To me, there was only one true ending, and could have stopped there:

[YOUTUBE]q19z6-tbIHY[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, anybody that didn't get a little choked up when Aragorn told the Hobbits "My friends, you bow to no one" has no soul!!!

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Sting was Orc specific?