• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Coaching Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t like Doc Rivers. I just shared for the joke of the names.
I don't either.

There should be a GIF of him in a hospital while everyone else has radioactive suits and gloves around him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bad post also would have been better if a different emoticon had been used, like an applause one.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we evaluate Hardy this year?

Yes this is a flawed roster.

Yes there's early season injuries. Nobody cares about injuries, most teams have them.

Do we evaluate his ability to try different things, to try and find a solution?

Like his scrapping his opening day starting guard rotation, and replacing one of them with Keyonte George.

Do we evaluate him by if whether some young players improve?

Let's say hypothetically, that Kessler doesn't have a better season than last year, but two others do. Is that satisfactory?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we evaluate Hardy this year?

Yes this is a flawed roster.

Yes there's early season injuries. Nobody cares about injuries, most teams have them.

Do we evaluate his ability to try different things, to try and find a solution?

Like his scrapping his opening day starting guard rotation, and replacing one of them with Keyonte George.

Do we evaluate him by if whether some young players improve?

Let's say hypothetically, that Kessler doesn't have a better season than last year, but two others do. Is that satisfactory?

This is pretty good since yesterday was his first game.

IMG_2479.jpeg

Just kidding. I know that the NBA allows a lot more points now than before, but I had figured that somebody must’ve had a bad night in the first season since we had done better than we thought we were going to. I know that we were not a good defense either season.

Assignment for @nuraman00 , figure out what the record is for number of games before a coach does this. Nah, too much work.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assignment for @nuraman00 , figure out what the record is for number of games before a coach does this. Nah, too much work.

It's more fun than a college admissions essay.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy is starting to concern me. He says the right things and probably is highly likable but his lineups are head scratchers. The first 7 games looked like there was no playbook - no plays being run. His combinations/lineups are weird but maybe he’s just playing the terrible cards the front office dealt him. So much for there not being a need for a PG. They bet on Sexton, THT, or Clarkson and that was not a good bet.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy is starting to concern me. He says the right things and probably is highly likable but his lineups are head scratchers. The first 7 games looked like there was no playbook - no plays being run. His combinations/lineups are weird but maybe he’s just playing the terrible cards the front office dealt him. So much for there not being a need for a PG. They bet on Sexton, THT, or Clarkson and that was not a good bet.
I think the guard rotation isn't good enough to make the playoffs. Or be even close.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 7 games looked like there was no playbook - no plays being run.

This was exactly what I thought but couldn’t state it as clearly as you did. I had no idea what was going on and I started to regret purchasing the streaming option because I felt that I can watch them when they’re bad, but I have to know what they’re doing. If I can’t tell what they’re doing, then it is just a bunch of players running around the court.

I guess if they were just a bunch of players, running around the court and winning, I would accept it, and just accept that I don’t know basketball schemes and plays. But if they’re not shooting well, defending well, or winning, thete better be some direction or I have no interest in watching. I know they’re going to miss out. They’re going to be so sad not to have me watching. When the season is over, and they have a big losing record, a reporter is going to ask them what they were missing and the answer is going to be MHSL82 watching. :D

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point of this season now is figuring out what exactly Lauri is and what he’s worth. Their half court offense is terrible, so that makes me think that he is going to be a perennial #2. If he can’t take the ball in the half court and get them a bucket, then the Jazz are still searching for an alpha. A #2 is great, but just don’t turn this into a Hayward situation where the franchise goes all in on a #2. I think Hardy needs to play whomever is the best compliment for Lauri and Walker and let the chips fall where they may in losses. The guards are what they are. No one has separated themselves into anything but yeoman.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lauri tends to get lost in the offense too much too. I don’t know if that’s the offense, players not being able to find him, or Lauri. Lauri is running A LOT though and often doesn’t get a touch for multiple plays.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Popovich is obviously a good coach. I wonder how many games he would win if his life depended on it with the roster he had last year and this year. I’m not saying tank specifically, but I believe a coach like him when he knows that his team isn’t going to compete will be focusing on fundamentals, and all that other stuff that would lead to better team in the future. Or at least that’s my benefit of the doubt. M

My guess is that they’re better than 5–28 this year, but obviously still not good. And again I’m not saying specifically trying to lose, but rotation, minutes, and on certain type of play, etc. There won’t be that much wiggle room because usually the type of play that will build good habits for a player will also give you a better chance of winning the game.

So I’m not really saying he is sacrificing the chances to win by teaching them something. The team just may be better than 5–28. And I believe that if someone else was coaching the team to that record, we would say that Popovich would get more out of them. How much would Popovich win in Detroit? obviously, the level of success he had was in part due to Duncan, Robinson, Ginobili, etc. I just give him credit for coaching, too.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I think it's easier to go from bad to good with a guard, than it is a big.

And easier to go from good to great with a big, than a guard.

The Spurs don't have a single guard that would start on a 21 win team.

He has made some rotation moves, like taking Sochan out of the starting lineup, a few weeks ago. Sochan was the starter at the beginning of the year. But at some point, it was time to try something different.

I think ending the season with about 16 wins seems doable. That's my goal for the Spurs, at this point.

Their Rodeo Road Trip this year is 9 games. Let's see how they do before, and after. I wonder what their worst rodeo road trip is. I'll find out when it gets closer. I think the best one was when they had a 9 game one, and lost game one, and won the next eight.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Popovich is obviously a good coach. I wonder how many games he would win if his life depended on it with the roster he had last year and this year. I’m not saying tank specifically, but I believe a coach like him when he knows that his team isn’t going to compete will be focusing on fundamentals, and all that other stuff that would lead to better team in the future. Or at least that’s my benefit of the doubt. M

My guess is that they’re better than 5–28 this year, but obviously still not good. And again I’m not saying specifically trying to lose, but rotation, minutes, and on certain type of play, etc. There won’t be that much wiggle room because usually the type of play that will build good habits for a player will also give you a better chance of winning the game.

So I’m not really saying he is sacrificing the chances to win by teaching them something. The team just may be better than 5–28. And I believe that if someone else was coaching the team to that record, we would say that Popovich would get more out of them. How much would Popovich win in Detroit? obviously, the level of success he had was in part due to Duncan, Robinson, Ginobili, etc. I just give him credit for coaching, too.

Timely post. The Spurs played the Bucks close, down to the final seconds, and lost.

The Spurs and Wembanyama had a game losing inbounds violation in the closing seconds.

No, the Spurs don't play like this every game. But they did appear to be playing "the right way".

Also, and I've thought this for a while, but the Bucks should have more losses. Their offense is a little better, but their defense is 22nd.

I don't think a team with a 22nd ranked defense will win a title.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only seen the Spurs once in person, in 2002. I regret never taking a picture of Popovich. That was years before I'd start bringing a camera to games.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3