• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chiefs' Current Upcoming Free Agents

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CY4zs0PWMAEoiQh.jpg

The Chiefs should be somewhere approaching 40M in cap room if all the projections are correct as far as the cap rising. Sounds like a lot, but Eric Berry, DoJ, and Jaye Howard could all be very expensive. That's before discussing a Dontari Poe extension or re-signing Sean Smith. Jeff Allen would be a guy I'd like to bring back as well.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEFINITELY move on from Sean Smith. Berry imo is a MUST. and unfortunately Jaye Howard, much as I like him, may end up being a casualty...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I got to say though- A Fisher-Grubbs-Morse-Allen-Rookie O-line would really for the first time in maybe a decade I would put any stock at all in a Chiefs OL.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEFINITELY move on from Sean Smith. Berry imo is a MUST. and unfortunately Jaye Howard, much as I like him, may end up being a casualty...
Its hard to imagine a world where the salary of Sean Smith and Chase Daniel gets you Eric Berry.

Eric Berry and Jeff Allen are probably the two priorities.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're coming to poach! mwahahahaha

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs are at ~27.7M of cap room after the latest moves including a Travis Kielce extension.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the negotiations will be slow with Berry. Plenty of time between now and camp to iron it out in a way that is reasonably fair to him and benefits the team (as much as an expensive contract can anyways) on Dorsey's end, hopefully.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the negotiations will be slow with Berry. Plenty of time between now and camp to iron it out in a way that is reasonably fair to him and benefits the team (as much as an expensive contract can anyways) on Dorsey's end, hopefully.

This is where it will be interesting to see how the Chiefs handle all of this. They already have Houston now with some pretty darn big cap hits after a very team friendly first year hit. Alex Smith while not making top QB money is still a pretty big Cap Hit. Maclin is another that is making good money for his position. You can only fit so many big contracts on the roster. Throw in for 2017 the Chiefs again are not Cap Rich so not like they can just push the big cap hit to another season. Still you never want to lose somebody like Berry who is not only an incredible player but a great leader as well.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where it will be interesting to see how the Chiefs handle all of this. They already have Houston now with some pretty darn big cap hits after a very team friendly first year hit. Alex Smith while not making top QB money is still a pretty big Cap Hit. Maclin is another that is making good money for his position. You can only fit so many big contracts on the roster.

That's certainly the pickle the Chiefs find themselves in. They had enough top-end talent to cause the cap crunch in the first place (with minimal nonsense signings like Dwayne Bowe a few years back) which is nice, but now they have to pay for it and inevitably someone has to leave. Now the question is, whom?

Throw in for 2017 the Chiefs again are not Cap Rich so not like they can just push the big cap hit to another season. Still you never want to lose somebody like Berry who is not only an incredible player but a great leader as well.

They're definitely not cap rich for 2017, that's for sure. Given the Chiefs have operated on the draft to replace ideology of drafting, it's very interesting they drafted Chris Jones given his versatility. Could pretty easily project him as an end or even a nose on the Chiefs if they felt like it, and that's important given they have Bailey and Howard (the latter also being able to play nose) for another two years; and Poe is due for FA after next season. Makes for a very interesting situation going forward.

The Chiefs won't have a ton of cap room, but it does look like they'll have significant comp picks to work with which may or may not be something they accounted for intentionally. They have gone back and forth with loading up on FA and bloodletting for comp picks each year, so that's a trend that's currently interesting.

If I am reading OTC's chart as of today correctly (Schwartz cancelling out Chase Daniel of all people [ha Eagles])

Chiefs get a 3rd (Smith) a 4th (Jeff Allen) and two 6ths in form of Tyvon Branch and Donald Stephenson. Also, correct my if I am wrong, but won't comp picks be tradable in 2017?

Fisher to replace Albert
Ford to replace Hali (oops)
Peters to replace Sean Smith
Chris Jones to replace... Dontari Poe? Howard? Bailey?