• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros 8/9-8/12

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too late, it was Texas.

@Evan_P_Grant: MLB Sources: Rangers did claim Alex Rios. But claiming him and acquiring him 2 very different things.

well, I guess we will see if it works out. If they don't ask for too much then I guess its an OK move but I don't think he is worth what people are saying the Sox want for him.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I guess we will see if it works out. If they don't ask for too much then I guess its an OK move but I don't think he is worth what people are saying the Sox want for him.
Would putting him on waivers make a difference than at the deadline?

How's the new job, dude, anyway?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted a rios thread, so we don't clutter this one.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How's the new job, dude, anyway?

Just now getting started today but so far so good. Thanks for asking. As far as putting him on waivers, I suppose that might change their asking price but maybe not. I'm not really sure.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of hope not. Rios really doesn't excite me that much and the Sox are going to ask for a ton

Cost is really the issue. The money part I am sure we can absorb, however what prospects...indeed.

However, if we could carve out a deal that does not hurt our farm much, Rios a veteran OFer would be a source of good for this team. All of our OFer's with the exception of Murph are youngsters now. Having Rios on the team would be good for the youngsters. Plus it seems Rios keeps batting consistently around .280. Over last 10 games he is .286. Tells me he is not a liability. Our team is now full of youngsters and having a vet like him now and next year would be very good for us.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cost is really the issue. The money part I am sure we can absorb, however what prospects...indeed.

However, if we could carve out a deal that does not hurt our farm much, Rios a veteran OFer would be a source of good for this team. All of our OFer's with the exception of Murph are youngsters now. Having Rios on the team would be good for the youngsters. Plus it seems Rios keeps batting consistently around .280. Over last 10 games he is .286. Tells me he is not a liability. Our team is now full of youngsters and having a vet like him now and next year would be very good for us.

gentry is 29, 30 in November

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

?

The way I understand it is you can get a lot more for a player before the deadline. Before the deadline (31 July) the player is in demand and will usually reap a better deal for the seller. Basically a sellers market. The buyer will usually negotiate the seller to accept some of the salary since they are giving up prime prospects.

The revocable waiver trade is more a buyers market. The prospective buyer knows the reason why the selling team has the player on waivers...they want to dump salary. So the buyer knowing the seller wants to dump salary usually accepts and offers a lower or mid level prospect.

When JD went in negotiations for Rios et al in July we were 6 games out (or thereabouts), the sellers knew we were desperate and raised the price, I think. Now we know Chicago wants to dump salary and rebuild and plus we are now tied for the division lead and in WC contention. So our stock is higher now. We could go in and say, you know we are doing just fine, sure Rios would be an upgrade to Murph but you know our rookies are rising up...hey listen we will take Rios off your hands and absorb his salary. If we make the playoffs we will give you Z prospect, if we don't, you get X prospect. If they need a ML ready OFer to fill in Rios' spot for the remainder of the season, plenty of posters here have already offered up David Murphy.

Sexy

Emotion in Motion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually worried about Yu LOL 5 earned runs last time :crazy:
Yeah and 1 out away from a perfect game the first time.
When Darvish is on the mound it's all about how good he that night, rather than how good the opposing lineup is.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good observations and I think accurate as well.

I wouldn't give up much for Rios though. Don't get me wrong, he'd help, especially since we're getting so little in LF. But I sure don't want to give up much outta the minors. Besides, Murphy is gone after this season, so it eliminates that black hole and clears up around $4 mil if memory serves.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Darvish is on the mound it's all about how good he that night, rather than how good the opposing lineup is.

I would say that says it perfectly. When Darvish is on it doesn't matter who the opposing team is.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the Astros are a hard team to prepare for. I have not checked lately, but it seems that roster does a lot of jockeying around between their AAA team.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good observations and I think accurate as well.

I wouldn't give up much for Rios though. Don't get me wrong, he'd help, especially since we're getting so little in LF. But I sure don't want to give up much outta the minors. Besides, Murphy is gone after this season, so it eliminates that black hole and clears up around $4 mil if memory serves.

Rios would give us an option to plug in for next year.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I wasn't being serious but yeah you're right about that

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I wasn't being serious but yeah you're right about that

His "bad" starts seem to happen in the 1st or 2nd innings and is usually the long ball. I joked to a friend that maybe Darvish needs to pitch two innings of simulated baseball before taking the mound:)

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we all just love ESPN's coverage of the Rangers? I mean what a story of going 9-1 in the last 10 games, walk off HRs, little baseball, tearing up the bases, down 6 games 9 days ago now tied for 1st place. Should we at least get one of the ESPN MLB front page links? No way, this is what you see on the MLB front page at ESPN.com:
Miami whistle-blower feels 'bullied' by MLB
A-Rod formally appeals suspension by MLB
sportscenter.png

Indians to ax faltering Reynolds from roster
Cards recall RHP Martinez to start Thursday
Martin's single in 10th keeps Pirates rolling
watch_headlines.png

Weeks bound for Milwaukee MRI; DL stint likely
Gee helps Mets complete sweep of Rockies
watch_headlines.png

Obama giving Banks, Dean Smith medals
Phillies give Utley extension through 2015
watch_headlines.png

Cards' Miller hit by liner, leaves
watch_headlines.png
| SweetSpot
P Archer exits early vs. D-backs | Rays fall
watch.png

Braves GM: Tweet at Harper 'inappropriate'
watch_headlines.png

Plus is everyone as tired as I am over seeing "game breaks" this week just to see A-Rod at bat.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the throttle DOWN Rangers.
no letting up, can't afford it now with these teams we should beat

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he has to adjust sometime in his career against Lefties so nows the time

Yup, stay in there and grab some hits and confidence...The Astros aren't a given, but a team we leave him in the 1 hole for, regardless of LHPs

Last edited by a moderator:

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we all just love ESPN's coverage of the Rangers? I mean what a story of going 9-1 in the last 10 games, walk off HRs, little baseball, tearing up the bases, down 6 games 9 days ago now tied for 1st place. Should we at least get one of the ESPN MLB front page links? No way, this is what you see on the MLB front page at ESPN.com:
Miami whistle-blower feels 'bullied' by MLB
A-Rod formally appeals suspension by MLB
sportscenter.png

Indians to ax faltering Reynolds from roster
Cards recall RHP Martinez to start Thursday
Martin's single in 10th keeps Pirates rolling
watch_headlines.png

Weeks bound for Milwaukee MRI; DL stint likely
Gee helps Mets complete sweep of Rockies
watch_headlines.png

Obama giving Banks, Dean Smith medals
Phillies give Utley extension through 2015
watch_headlines.png

Cards' Miller hit by liner, leaves
watch_headlines.png
| SweetSpot
P Archer exits early vs. D-backs | Rays fall
watch.png

Braves GM: Tweet at Harper 'inappropriate'
watch_headlines.png

Plus is everyone as tired as I am over seeing "game breaks" this week just to see A-Rod at bat.
Braves fans feeling the same way....they've won 13 straight ...no mention except for Bryce Harper...