• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas A&M Stepped up and paid Big Money for a Big Name from a Big Program

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Fran didn’t win squat on the D1 level. He did a pretty good job at TCU and left Bama just when the NCAA was ready to slap them on the wrists. But I remember how hyped up that hire was. He as a big name in 2002. It was a major coup to steal him away from Bama...even though he didn’t do much for them either in the short time he was there.

There were several reasons Fisher didn’t go to LSU. Some say LSU backed out because dropping millions on a new HC would look bad considering the financial troubles they were having at the time. I think the Jimbo rumors with A&M are mainly because our AD has a good relationship with Jimbo going back to when they were at LSU.

My prediction
1. We keep Sumlin
2. We fire Sumlin and hire some else not Jimbo and not Morris

Like a lot of coaches it turned out that the true star on Fran's staff was not Fran, but Gary Patterson. That is always the worry with guys that have not had success without multiple coordinators. I am sure Colorado wished they hired BSU's OC (Peterson), instead of the HC (forgot his name).

By the way, that is also why I am high on Norvel at Memphis. Todd Graham went from a fringe blue blood candidate to the chopping block, since Norvel left his staff

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really question what happened at FSU that led to the current 4 win season. By the way there are more than 4 coaches with titles. Miles, Mack, and Chizik would all take a HC job.

A lot of what is going on at Florida STate this season is those 4 and 5 star players on defense checked out, and that does fall on the coaching staff.

Not sure how much input Jimbo puts on the defensive side of the ball though.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what is going on at Florida STate this season is those 4 and 5 star players on defense checked out, and that does fall on the coaching staff.

Not sure how much input Jimbo puts on the defensive side of the ball though.

That most certain it falls on the HC, so does that OL

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That most certain it falls on the HC, so does that OL

True. Jimbo and Mark Richt's last years at UGA had similarities in that though the recruiting class rankings never suffered, they really ignored the o-line while recruiting.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Jimbo and Mark Richt's last years at UGA had similarities in that though the recruiting class rankings never suffered, they really ignored the o-line while recruiting.

That has always been a pet peeve of mine. The rankings just gauge the collection of talent, not the distribution of it. Simply a class of 20 4-5 star Qbs would be a top 10 class, but good luck winning a game with only 20 QBs

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why people bag on FSU/Fisher so much to be honest.

FSU suffered a series of unfortunate events that have impacted their season hardcore.

They open against Alabama in a game they hyped and got ready for all off season. Not only do they lose the game, a blow to moral, but they also lose their starting QB an even bigger blow.

Then, rather than having a couple of easy games to follow it up with, maybe get some groove and confidence going, they instead lose the tune up game because of a hurricane and get thrown straight into a conference game against a very decent NCST team.

So now they are looking at 0-2 after all that happened. They get an easier game aganist Wake Forest, 1-2 before taking on current #2 Miami.

5 weeks into the season, FSU has now played #1, #2, and a decent NCST team and a not so bad Wake Forrest team and ends up 1-3 playing a true freshman QB.

Who the fuck recovers from that?

I hope FSU is stupid enough to let Fisher go over this and other schools are stupid enough to skip him. They don't deserve a quality coach and likely will never find one.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why people bag on FSU/Fisher so much to be honest.

FSU suffered a series of unfortunate events that have impacted their season hardcore.

They open against Alabama in a game they hyped and got ready for all off season. Not only do they lose the game, a blow to moral, but they also lose their starting QB an even bigger blow.

Then, rather than having a couple of easy games to follow it up with, maybe get some groove and confidence going, they instead lose the tune up game because of a hurricane and get thrown straight into a conference game against a very decent NCST team.

So now they are looking at 0-2 after all that happened. They get an easier game aganist Wake Forest, 1-2 before taking on current #2 Miami.

5 weeks into the season, FSU has now played #1, #2, and a decent NCST team and a not so bad Wake Forrest team and ends up 1-3 playing a true freshman QB.

Who the fuck recovers from that?

I hope FSU is stupid enough to let Fisher go over this and other schools are stupid enough to skip him. They don't deserve a quality coach and likely will never find one.

The issue is the OL. They were 108th in sacks allowed let year and 107th this year. Anyone that has watched FSU the last 2 years, can not be surprised about the QB injuries. I don't watch them religiously, so I do not know why the OL has been such an issue but does cast questions on Fisher as a HC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is the OL. They were 108th in sacks allowed let year and 107th this year. Anyone that has watched FSU the last 2 years, can not be surprised about the QB injuries. I don't watch them religiously, so I do not know why the OL has been such an issue but does cast questions on Fisher as a HC.

I thought it was due to injuries?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was due to injuries?

It's been 2 years, so I am not sure. Just watching them this year there seems to be something off. He is going to cost a bunch and most of it will be guaranteed money, so you better make sure that you can answer any question. He isn't a guy you can hire and let go in 3 years if it doesn't work. That makes him a bit more of a risk than people think. The reported A&M offer was 75 million and 10 years. I wouldn't put much stock in that rumor, but it highlights the risk

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 2 years, so I am not sure. Just watching them this year there seems to be something off. He is going to cost a bunch and most of it will be guaranteed money, so you better make sure that you can answer any question. He isn't a guy you can hire and let go in 3 years if it doesn't work. That makes him a bit more of a risk than people think. The reported A&M offer was 75 million and 10 years. I wouldn't put much stock in that rumor, but it highlights the risk

These things all sound like things that are a matter of finding a good position/S&C coach.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good HC's job.

And like I said before, who recovers from the start of the year they've had?

They went 10-3 last year.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These things all sound like things that are a matter of finding a good position/S&C coach.

We got our new S&C coach from FSU. He’s made a lot of improvements.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our OL, while improved a little from last season, is still really bad. It took Mike Sherman and Jim Turner the better part of 4 years to build the talent and depth in OL that Sumlin has the privilege of using the first couple years of his tenure. JFF was good but he also had a couple of first rounders blocking for him. I imagine he wouldn’t be having a “Heisman Season” with our current OL. However, Sumlin is a great recruiter but he seemed to focus more on QBs and WRs and LOS took the back seat. He brought Jimmy Turner back but it was too little too late. Turner is a good coach but need to have the jimmys and joes too.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our OL, while improved a little from last season, is still really bad. It took Mike Sherman and Jim Turner the better part of 4 years to build the talent and depth in OL that Sumlin has the privilege of using the first couple years of his tenure. JFF was good but he also had a couple of first rounders blocking for him. I imagine he wouldn’t be having a “Heisman Season” with our current OL. However, Sumlin is a great recruiter but he seemed to focus more on QBs and WRs and LOS took the back seat. He brought Jimmy Turner back but it was too little too late. Turner is a good coach but need to have the jimmys and joes too.
JFF was the worst Heisman winner I've seen in a long time. Kid didn't even know the offense......he was just chucking it up to wide open WRs after scrambling around. That kind of play does not have long term viability, and when I criticized his lack of ability to read a defense and throw the hot route, or make ANY NFL throw, I was quickly labeled a hater.

I'll say this.......all of what I described is why I think Sumlin isn't the best for you guys. He simply brings no discipline to his team or players. He let JFF do whatever the fuck he wanted......

If you guys keep Sumlin SOMEBODY has to be the bad cop. I don't know if that guy is on your staff.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFF was good but he also had a couple of first rounders blocking for him. I imagine he wouldn’t be having a “Heisman Season” with our current OL.
:dingdingding:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to wonder why Brent Venables doesn't get more attention for a head coaching position.
Has a top rated Defense.
Been an assistant under Bill Snyder, Bob Stoops, and Dabo Swinney.

WTF is wrong with that picture
Maybe calling plays and being a coordinator is his ceiling, a la Bud Foster

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go after Jim Leavitt. JMO

Exactly, but Kansas State wants him. The problem is, Snyder wants his son to take over when he
steps down.

That'll cause some ripples in Manhatten. Do they argue with or go against the Savior?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, but Kansas State wants him. The problem is, Snyder wants his son to take over when he
steps down.

That'll cause some ripples in Manhatten. Do they argue with or go against the Savior?
Another guy that has done a damn good job...under the circumstances... is the guy at Wake Forest. That ain't an easy job.