• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teuvo Watch Begins

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if he's ready or not. He's so young. Listing to Eddie Olczyk on WSCR radio this morning, he feels Teuvo is ready to play at the NHL level. Feels he his solid offensively AND defensively. Doesn't know whether we see him right away, in a week or two or in the second round of the playoffs, or until next year.

But now the question is where to play him? Do you play him as the second line center with Kane? Two speedy stick handling puck possession guys together? I doubt it.

The scenario will play out as:

1 Move Kane with Toews and Sharp and Teuvo centers the second line with Hossa and Saad
2 Keep Ben Smith as second line center with Kane and Bickell/Saad and let Teuvo play third line center with Shaw and Versteeg/Bickell/Saad.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I don't see TT as Kane's center, either, in the short-term or the long-term. Hopefully they give Smith a few more games at 2C to see if he can handle it, and if not you're right, I'd expect Kane to be bumped up to the 1st line with TT centering the 2nd at some point.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he practice with the team?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it might get interesting with Teuvo over the next few days with Kane going down.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it might get interesting with Teuvo over the next few days with Kane going down.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

As to practicing with the team, it's just my guess that yes he technically could practice with the team without a contract, but due to the risk of injury I'm sure his agent is advising him not to until a contract is signed.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...

As to practicing with the team, it's just my guess that yes he technically could practice with the team without a contract, but due to the risk of injury I'm sure his agent is advising him not to until a contract is signed.

From what I heard from a beat writer on the game 87.7. Teuvos bigger contract kicks in with 10 games played in the nhl and puts them over the cap, so there would have to be a roster move. It sounded like he could technically play in 9 games until the playoffs. Apparently the cap is relaxed in the playoffs?. The decision seems to be either Morin or Nordstrom from Rockford instead until the playoffs, or put Kane on LTIR since it should be at least 10-12 games and his number would come off the cap at that time. He said just scratching keeps his number.

Sorry if that was written in one of the articles I did not read.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard from a beat writer on the game 87.7. Teuvos bigger contract kicks in with 10 games played in the nhl and puts them over the cap, so there would have to be a roster move. It sounded like he could technically play in 9 games until the playoffs. Apparently the cap is relaxed in the playoffs?. The decision seems to be either Morin or Nordstrom from Rockford instead until the playoffs, or put Kane on LTIR since it should be at least 10-12 games and his number would come off the cap at that time. He said just scratching keeps his number.

Sorry if that was written in one of the articles I did not read.

You're right. Sorry. He did already sign a contract, so it's just a matter of whether or not he plays enough games this year for it to count as year 1.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming that the Hawks want to keep Teuvo under the 10 game limit.

As you stated, if it's over the limit then his contract counts as Year 1. Having NEXT year, a full season, count as Year 1 would be a great advantage to the Hawks salary cap-wise AND an advantage to the Hawks as to when his rookie contract is actually fulfilled.

The longer they can delay that the better it is for the Hawks.

I'm assuming then that you won't see Teuvo until the very, very end of the season.

Kane probably goes on LTIR and Morin comes up.

Possible line combinations, provided Saad returns Friday night:

Sharp/Toews/Hossa (possible that Saad gets swapped for Sharp)
Bickell/Smith/Saad (possible that Sharp gets swapped for Saad---and yes, Saad and Sharp can play left or right wing)
Versteeg/Kruger/Shaw
Bollig/Handzus/Regin

So, actually at this point Morin doesn't even need to be called up for Rockford. Of course, you could always have Brookbank play wing (ugh!).

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah its definitely an advantage to wait til its a few games this year and next year, but to me Zeus is not an every nite player. He and Regin should swap starts, Versteeg on the top line was terrible, Bollig got put there when Backus started taking liberties.

I think Bickell is waking up, so he might get a chance at that top line.again. I keep going back to Saad and Toews together just have chemistry, but they keep moving him to the third line to try to catch the 5,6 d men. Just like I wanted to see Smith stay as the second line center, putting him between Sharp and Hossa would add alot of punch to that line.

Bickell, Toews, Saad
Sharp, Smith, Hossa

if we are jumbling up lines again, but our best line this year so far has been

Sharp, Toews, Hossa and they might try to get that going again to get scoring from them and hope that
Bickell, Smith and Saad can keep pressure going if Saad can play tomorrow. Thats Carolina and Nashville games. If that works, you have Dallas and Boston next. If it doesnt work, Teuvo by the Ottawa game after the Bruins would be 8 games left in the season. If they are stagnant against Carolina and nashville, they might just put Teuvo in the game and try to consider if his game changing ability is necessary to win in the playoffs and worth losing that year. You are also taking the guarantee that Kane will return in three weeks and be at top form.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kane placed in LTIR today, meaning he has to miss 24 days or 10 games retroactive to yesterday.

Teuvo supposedly in Chicago as of yesterday. I thought I heard on WSCR this morning that Jeremy Morin was recalled from Rockford.

10 game restriction for Teuvo must be killing the Hawks. They probably want him to play, but if he plays more than 10 games this year (including the playoffs) it counts as Year 1 in his contract. Therefore the Hawks lose a year before he can become a free agent.

Looks like Morin will take a roster spot. But let's all remember that the Hawks still have 12 forwards without Kane and without adding anyone to the active roster.

Should be an interesting game tonight. Can't wait to see what the lines will be...and the shuffling that will go on within the game.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed by the Blackhawks: The Hawks have recalled Jeremy Morin and Teuvo Teravainen today.

Teravainen will wear number 86.

Should be an interesting finish to the season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confirmed by the Blackhawks: The Hawks have recalled Jeremy Morin and Teuvo Teravainen today.

Teravainen will wear number 86.

Should be an interesting finish to the season.

Carey is reporting to the hawks as well, thats 3 new forwards to choose from.

Do you understand about the relaxed salary cap restrictions for the playoffs?

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a cap issue with Teuvo in the playoffs. It's the number of games he plays regular season and playoffs.

If it's over ten games, this counts as Year One of his contract. If it's under 10 games, Year One doesn't start until next season. Thus the Hawks get one more year before he becomes a free agent.

And Carey's not showing up until later in the day. So he's not playing tonight.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I didnt mean for Teuvo, I was trying to figure out what they meant about relaxed for the playoffs.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Teuvo really impressed this preseason so he has some idea of the guys he will play with.

Its a tough call, if they use him and he plays well they can go 10-2 (reg or shootout losses) If they just play ok they could probably still go 7-5. I doubt they will fall to a wild card with Minnesota 12 points behind with 12 to go to keep them from seeing St Louis until the second round, and with our home ice record, its really not as important to have home advantage in round 2 if st louis loses first round somehow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=27443&navid=nhl:topheads

This just in, Hawks say Teuvo will not be on the ice for Carolina tonite.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also need to remember, that deal for Kesler that is supposedly still in place to try to make Kane happy and decide to stay here. They said there was a workout scheduled with the cannucks for Teuvo and that trade that was either Leddy, Bickell and Teuvo or Leddy, Shaw and Teuvo might still be in place as a draft day deal so these 10 games would not mean as much to the hawks unless its a sticking point for Vancouver control.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(TAY-voh tair-uh-VIGH-nehn)