• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taking a look at 2015 free agent options

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the more interesting things IMO about baseball is the hypothetical discussions about who the Mariners could add to become a better team.

With the trade deadline passed, I thought we could begin discussing 2015 free agents for fun. Not throwing in the towel or anything, I just think it's fun to speculate.

Here are some of the options:

First Base:
-Michael Morse: Been here before. He's hitting well this season and never really got off the ground in Seattle due to injuries. Still an option though. Can also play outfield.
-Billy Butler: There is a $12.5m team option on Butler's contract that the Royals may not exercise. He's having a down year, but could be a cheaper option to consider at 1B. From 2009-2013, Butler was a really solid hitter. His line during that time is .302/.372/.469 with an OPS+ of 128. His 99 home runs over 4 years average out to 20 per year. Obviously not having one of his better years in 2014, but Butler has serious rebound potential.
-Adam Dunn: I'd stay away, but could be an upgrade over Smoak/Morrison.
-Michael Cuddyer: His park, age and injuries scare me, but he's another option.
-Victor Martinez: Wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers let him walk. Detriot currently has the 4th highest payroll in baseball at $161m. Unfortunately for the Tigers, they will have Max Scherzer and Victor Martinez hit the market at the same time. Scherzer will likely command $20m+ per year, Verlander's contract will increase by $8m this upcoming season and the Tigers will have to budget for the roughly $15m that David Price will cost. Given his age and injury concerns, Martinez will probably be the odd man out. Martinez really interests me, he is an incredible hitter who is often overshadowed by Miguel Cabrera. I really want to be scared off by Victor Martinez's age, but he is such a professional hitter that I can't see him declining too badly over the next couple of years. He just seems like one of those guys that will have that rare type of longevity in the majors.

Shortstop: Listing SS for two reasons, the first basing that the Mariners had been connected to various SSs during the season. The second reason being that the SS class is pretty deep with good players.
-J.J. Hardy: Great defensively, has seen his power numbers drop this year but has still been steady at the plate with a .274 average.
-Asdrubal Cabrera: I believe we traded him to the Indians for either Ben Brussard or Eduardo Perez. I saw the Mariners were connected to Cabrera in some trade rumor, could be an interesting option.
-Hanley Ramirez: Pipe dream. The Dodgers will likely throw a massive contract at him to keep him in LA.

Outfield:
-Nori Aoki: Not an amazing option, but if for some reason all else fails he has been solid in his major league career.
-Melky Cabrera: Never understood why the Mariners didn't try to go after him after he got caught roiding. The Blue Jays only had to pay $16m for two years of Cabrera. He is hitting .313 this year with 14 HRs and is only 29, it feels like he has been in the majors a lot longer than his age would indicate.
-Nelson Cruz: Boy was he smart to take a one year deal in Baltimore. The Mariners wanted him real bad last time, wouldn't be surprising if they pushed for him again. I do find his career .234 BA at Safeco somewhat discouraging though.
-Rajai Davis: Not a huge name, but still a solid player.
-Torii Hunter: Somehow manages to keep playing at a high level. I feel stupid for thinking the Tigers were idiots for giving him a 2 year contract before the 2013 season.
-Raul Ibanez: Why not a 4th trip back to Seattle?
-Ichiro: Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was brought back. I'm sad that the Yankees signed Prado, that sort of eliminates Ichiro's chances at regular playing time and therefore ever reaching 3,000 MLB hits. He is hitting .271 this year and is 194 hits away from 3,000. He turns 41 in October.
-Josh Willingham: Mariners were connected at the trade deadline. They could be interested in free agency.

I'd list starting pitchers, but I feel it is somewhat irrelevant. The Mariners have Felix and Iwakuma already at the top of the rotation and have Elias, Walker and Paxton all major league ready. I could understand adding a pitcher via free agency, but I'd rather see the funds go to the offense.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would target :

Butler
Cabrera
Hunter....

I don't know what the option is on Morrison, bring Butler in let him have first
Cabrera in LF
and Hunter I think you have him DH, that position needs a serious set person.

Jackson is gonna be the interesting option here, I know reports were that he wouldn't sign with Seattle but that could change once he spends time in this clubhouse, this core group in Seattle kinda grows on you and might change his mind on that...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardy at SS allowing us to trade Miller and/or Taylor for young OF or young SP.

Martinez for 1B and let Morales go for good.
Cuddyer 2nd option, but he loves Colorado.

Cabrera would fit nicely, but costly for M's
Davis would be a nice corner OF with ability to play CF when needed. Manager said he was one of the strongest guys on Detroit.
Willingham for DH/1B would be a nice addition as well.

C- Zunino/Sucre
1B- Martinez/Morrison
2B- Cano/Bloomquist
SS- Hardy/Bloomquist
3B- Seager/Bloomquist
LF- Ackley/Willingham
CF- Jackson/Saunders
RF- Denorfia/Saunders
DH- Willingham/Martinez

Re-sign Denorfia.

Martinez $10M
Willingham $6M
Hardy $10M
-----------------
$26M addition minus $4.3M for Morales and $6M for Hart equals about $15.7M increase....ouch for M's. Plus raises and arbitration's might make all 3 out of M's range, but it is what is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dunn. Know a few White Sox fans and it's either a HR or a SO with him. We have enough of that right now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dunn. Know a few White Sox fans and it's either a HR or a SO with him. We have enough of that right now.

Actually Zunino is the only guy that fits that for us. Most of the rest are GO/FO or a SO.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Safeco Field isn't US Cellular Field and the "all-or-nothing" approach to hitting is more likely to get you nothing here than it is there, so you want to avoid having too many guys with that approach. The two biggest rally killers in baseball are the strikeout and the double play. Your first baseman and/or DH is usually going to be one of your slower runners, so you might not be able to avoid the double play as often as you'd like, but at least if you're putting the ball in play a lot with RISP instead of striking out a lot, you're giving yourself the opportunity to keep the inning going. The M's should be looking for gap hitters who can put the ball in play to fill those positions. Guys like that are still going to get their share of homers, but at least they'll be able to do something to help the offense when they aren't getting them.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing very exciting on that list. Assdribble Cabrera might be OK he the price is right.

Wouldn't go for round 3 with Mike Morse. He started hot for the Giants but hasn't done much for the last two months.

This list is further proof that good hitting is getting harder and harder to find. Maybe the Red Sox weren't so dumb in trading their pitching away for Craig and Cespedes rather than prospects.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO WE NEED NOBODY FROM THIS LIST...we knew this FA class last year...that's why it was important to get Cano. Cruz ain't gonna sign here and I'm not satisfied with anyone on that list.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing very exciting on that list. Assdribble Cabrera might be OK he the price is right.

Wouldn't go for round 3 with Mike Morse. He started hot for the Giants but hasn't done much for the last two months.

This list is further proof that good hitting is getting harder and harder to find. Maybe the Red Sox weren't so dumb in trading their pitching away for Craig and Cespedes rather than prospects.

I believe that both of the trades made by the Red Sox were smart. Craig isn't having his best year, but he hit .315 last year, .307 the year before that and .315 the year before that. Allen Craig has been a good hitter for the Cardinals and I believe that the Red Sox were smart to trade Lackey for him.

rwj14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victor Martinez won't get just 10mil a year. We sign Martinez when Detroit is focused on Scherzer. 3yr 45 - 50mil professional hitter bats 4th. & played in a pitchers park Melky Cabrera 5yr 70-75mil with another chance after 3 years giving him another chance to get a big contract at age 32. Cabrera RF or LF our 2 hole switch hitter who also played in a pitchers park with S.F. Austin Jackson has done nothing for us as a leadoff hitter. Maybe a trade. Walker, Paxton, Elias, & Hultzen will all have their innings watched closely. I doubt any top 170ip, maybe Paxton & Elias pitch 180ip. Kuma hasn't topped 200IP once
I believe Rick Waits can get back to 2013 form especially.at Safeco sign
Justin Masterson for 5mil. & 5mil incentives. That gives us a big chance to finally get to the W.S. If G.M.Z follows this plan. Raises our about 35mil but with our tv deal it's easily possible.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masterson would be cheap because he has stunk it up. Enough projects. Don't expect a raise in payroll. It hasn't happened in years. It has actually regressed in the last decade.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the FA market isn't that great, then it makes it that much more important for a team full of holes to have a GM that's capable of trading with the big boys.

that's why it's so great that we signed Z to an extension....because he's so good at it....and.....um......

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sarcasm....it's still funny. :lol: