• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suppose Chip wanted Murray all along?

Susky

Better late than never
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's brain matter loss after all the head scratching, I'm starting to think that all this stuff fits together. Chip wanted Murray from the start, and he wanted him more than he did McCoy. So he traded McCoy for the extra cap room. Realizing that a bidding war was not the way to go, Chip looked to make it an easier sell by going after Murray's buddy and former roommate, Bradford.

Thinking that Bradford has great upside vs Foles, and knowing that his health could be a crap shoot, Chip is hedging his bets by hanging onto Sanchez...and keeping Hundley on the radar with the workout and draft talk indicates a longer time horizon approach.

I'm also thinking that Mathews is at best another hedge. Keeping him would definitely give the backfield more longevity. And if all else fails, Mathews still has the option to go.

I'm not sure how the Maclin business fits in. Gotta scratch my head some more on that one.

And of course if he does freak out and go after MM, I'm completely wrong.

But hey...it's fun to try and reverse engineer all of this craziness.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents...

I think Kelly was interested in Murray and made initial feelers to Murray but maybe the response wasn't there at that time

Kelly then moves on from Murray and does truly like Bradford and thinks Bradford could be the QB for him so makes the trade

Kelly needs a RB so he gets Matthews to agree

But then Bradford starts calling Murray and gets Murray interested in the Eagles. Murray calls Kelly. This was probably a surprise to Kelly and he realizes that he has a good chance to get Murray and if you have the chance to get a talent like Murray you go for it

I don't think there was some grand crazy plan. I just think it was one of those things where Murray fell into Kelly's lap

Susky

Better late than never
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I forgot about Murray calling Kelly. But the easiest way to sell somebody is to create a desire, which apparently happened with the Bradford deal.

Regardless, the whole soap opera isn't done yet. And I'm enjoying it.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im thinking Kelly realized he fucked up after Gore bailed on his deal. He then went into panic mode and then went after Matthews. Then Murray contacted Kelly and then he was able to get a feel from Murray if he was serious and it bailed Chip out.

Murray was the 3rd RB on Chips list. No need to try and spin it like he knew what he was doing. He got lucky and Murray fell right into his lap.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted Gore. When Gore bailed he scrambled a bit, but ultimately landed on a guy he really likes as a RB.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im thinking Kelly realized he fucked up after Gore bailed on his deal. He then went into panic mode and then went after Matthews. Then Murray contacted Kelly and then he was able to get a feel from Murray if he was serious and it bailed Chip out.

Murray was the 3rd RB on Chips list. No need to try and spin it like he knew what he was doing. He got lucky and Murray fell right into his lap.

You're probably right, but who would you rather have, Gore or Murray? Forget how it all played out, but I'd rather take my chances with Murray, even if it did cost more to get him. At the end of the day Chip gets the type of runner he wanted, he just happened to get the best one available.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right, but who would you rather have, Gore or Murray? Forget how it all played out, but I'd rather take my chances with Murray, even if it did cost more to get him. At the end of the day Chip gets the type of runner he wanted, he just happened to get the best one available.

Murray and it isn't close, but to act like this was in Chips plan is ludicrous.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't believe it was his plan either; but I'm kind of glad it played out the way it did.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he wanted Murray & Gore. But Gore backed out like a pussy, so he went with Murray & Mathews.

Plus you have BRadford deal in works for 3 weeks. The guy recruiting Murray.

Takes time. Not everything is leaked like the Shady deal. Probably big mouth Rexy.

EagleUpNorth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching chips pc...

He wanted gore and Mathews.... Thought he had them

Gore backed out, so chip called demarco (not other way around).

I do believe him when he says the plan was two guys to replace mccoy.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray, Matthews, Sproles... I think the Eagles will run the football this season.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not where you start but where you end up. Every team had their chance to get anyone and Chip played it well. Why act like Chip's an idiot or something? Enjoy the ride.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McCoy's not replaceable with just one.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he said the plan was always to sign two backs, but it sounds like his initial targets were Gore and Mathews, not Murray and Mathews. He claimed he didn't think Murray would be as affordable, but I think he really wanted Gore.

EagleUpNorth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he wanted gore, it would have helped bring in Andre Johnson, as we saw in Indy.

Also looks better financially too, with gore and Mathews instead of Murray and Mathews. But there ain't no value like stealing a top player from a division rival.