• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Strategic Rooting

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive my absence, but I've divided my attention between work and politics with this week being an election. I know we have people on both sides of Tuesday's decision here and won't pollute the board with my thoughts on that, seeings how I'd rather focus on what makes us alike: our love (and right now maybe concern) for the Denver Broncos!

With that said, our beloved team sits at 6-3 and in third place in the AFC West. Let that sink in: a 6-3 team is in THIRD PLACE! And even though the Broncos have traffic in front of them in the division, it's important to remember this: The standings really only matter at the end of week 17. That's the first thing. The second thing is the Broncos still control their own destiny with respect to reaching the playoffs even if they fail to win their division.

Now let me pause here to say this: By no means have I conceded this division. The Broncos are still very much alive in the division race. But let's be realistic: there is legitimate cause for concern. Once again the Broncos lead the league in 3 and outs. The run defense has been suspect (at best) all year, and now injuries are beginning to take a toll. There is a strong possibility the Broncos fail to make it 6 straight. But a look at the standings suggest the Broncos are still easily one of the favorites to reach the playoffs as a wild card team. Again: I am not counting out the Broncos chances of taking the division again. There is a lot of football still ahead. I am just looking at other possible (even probable) outcomes on the season.

To that end, I offer this: keep on eye on some of those mischievous 5-3, 4-4, 4-5 teams out there. In many cases these are the teams that are going to compete for those wild card slots. This includes the only AFC West team the Broncos don't lead, the 4-5 Chargers. And this is also the cause for the thread title. It's not like rooting for a given team affects the outcome at all. But it's never too early to start considering how every win or loss affects the Broncos. Because (and don't look now, but...) a lot of the above described teams are teams the Broncos have beat!

The Texans: 5-3 and currently in the division lead. Because the Broncos have beat them, Consider rooting against them and for the Titans.

The Colts: 4-5 and like the Texans, the Broncos own the tie breaker. Consider rooting for the Colts or the Texans to maintain that 2nd place position in the AFC South so that if a WC slot were to come down to it, tie breakers would favor the Broncos.

The Titans: 4-5 and still ahead on the schedule. Now if the Broncos beat the Titans it's sort of irrelevant to us who ends up in 2nd place here and would otherwise be competing for a wild card slot. Until that contest later this season, consider rooting for the Titans to take the lead in the South, pushing teams the Broncos have already beat into the race for a wild card spot.

The Bengals: 3-4-1 and just half a game out of first. Consider rooting for the Steelers or Ravens to take the lead, while the Bengals elbow back into 2nd and the push for a wild card. With that said, unless the Broncos play a game to a tie, they won't tie final records with the Bengals at the end of week 17 so the tie breaker discussion is actually irrelevant here. (10-6 would be better than 9-6-1 for example.)

There are other teams at 4-4/4-5 and that makes sense at this point in the season. As of right now, these are the teams the Broncos have already played and beat or will play. Each ensuing week adds a little more clarity and some of that "bubble traffic" will fall by the wayside as the season progresses. But going down the stretch we want these non AFC West teams to be the teams competing for wild card slots because these are the teams over whom we know the Broncos will own tie breakers.

Once again, I'm not dismissing entirely the Broncos shot at winning this division. I also appreciate the potential that the landscape of the AFC will be quite different in just a few short weeks. But for now, these are some teams to keep a close eye on.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job IKF and wouldn't think to many here would disagree with any or all the above. I will say though that if Denver doesn't get the run game woes at least to a respectable level, they figure out how to not get their butts handed to them up front on the D side up the middle vs run defense and stop trying to break the record for most 3 and outs by the offense, this team just might end up below .500 and not even get a shot at " One and Done " IMO. Very concerned.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job IKF and wouldn't think to many here would disagree with any or all the above. I will say though that if Denver doesn't get the run game woes at least to a respectable level, they figure out how to not get their butts handed to them up front on the D side up the middle vs run defense and stop trying to break the record for most 3 and outs by the offense, this team just might end up below .500 and not even get a shot at " One and Done " IMO. Very concerned.

One thing we know for sure is no game in the NFL is a lock. Any team can beat any team and the margin between a 12-4 season and say, an 8-8 season is often razor thin! With that said, I still see this team as at least a 10-6 team, with perhaps a 9-7 finish if they don't make some improvements to their ground offense or run defense. And I'd like to say they have the potential to be better than that (they do) but the bigger question is will they actually pull it off this time.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah IKF,nine out ten times I'm optimistic favoring Denver but we're seeing some serious flaws, especially O-line, the challenge every SB defender is up against, the injury bug Denver avoided last year, Kubiacks devotion to Dennison is problematic and the depth with the loss of Jackson,Trev and Walker ( believe it or not ),is taking a toll on this team ( and me ) to the point where my earlier confidence was very strong,is depleting more and more. It's okay though. Consider the obstacles,etc., their hanging tough, good position still and we're just half way thru reg season. Just need to get some momentum and confidence building, some favorable bounces go our way for a change, etc,etc bla bla and before ya know it.......it's Bronco Country Mania again ! ! :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and one other thing that really bothered the crap out of me last game.....I know coaches are supposed to hold it together when calls are going against you,stay poised,etc but sometimes the players really can pick up on a coach going ballistic or show passion for bullshit calls ,etc to show the players he's got their back even if it means a 15 yd penalty or ejection. Their was numerous times in Raider game where some emotion for Kubes or for gods sake any coach on sideline, would/could of been inspiring for those players. Too reserved emotion factor by coaching staff. Show some F in passion. These guys will feed off it. God knows Rio gets it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post just looking ahead. While I am still optimistic of our chances of winning the division it really does just matter of getting to the playoffs and seeing how things go. Plenty of teams have just made it and found a way to win including our 1997 Denver Broncos. Even if we don't win it I think knowing the transition from Manning to what we have today with so many betting against our team making the playoffs would once again just show the resiliency of our team. Nobody expected them to win last year with Manning playing so terribly and it does seem we are in that same boat again this year of people doubting this team. Yes they have plenty of reason to with our flaws but I still love the leadership of the team and that those players will step up and not let this team completely fall apart.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for the Broncos. Aside from their own win, the Titans won as well, keeping them closer to the Texans for 1st place in the South. Now in a few weeks if the Broncos beat the Titans (and assuming the Jags don't come out of nowhere and elbow their way into the discussion) this part of the playoff race will be irrelevant as the Broncos would have the tie breaker over any potential WC team from the South. Until then, we want to see the Titans continue to surge and potentially push the Texans down into the WC picture.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting for Pittsburgh to lose

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Big Ben pulls a Marino

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Pittsburgh just got burflict

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting for Pittsburgh to lose

This is true. And the game went final 35-30. A potential challenger for the WC has fallen now to 4-5 so that's good news for the Broncos. That glut of 5-4, 4-4, 4-5 teams is going to clear eventually. If they can all continue to drag each other down that would be good.

In other news the Dolphins won as well, improving to 5-4. The Chargers drop to 4-6. No wrong answers there. The Chargers are now 3 games behind the Broncos but could still play themselves into a potentially good situation regarding tie breakers so I'm inclined to say that result favors the Broncos overall. But the Dolphins may be a contender, so going forward we should root against them.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will root for us to win out and win the AFC west and home field ..

Will that work ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the Chiefs game I would say things fell pretty well for us over the weekend. When the Panthers were up 17-3 all I kept thinking was "they will find a way to blow this lead." Chiefs honestly are reminding me a bit of us last year of pulling out those last second wins and just not really blowing any teams out but just finding ways to win the close ones. Really need them to lose one of these close ones for us.

Just looking at our divisional foes the nice thing is the Raiders and Chiefs both have some pretty tough games remaining beyond just our match ups.

For the Chiefs they have @Falcons and @Chargers, and home against the Titans who are looking as good as about any team in the league right now.

Raiders probably have the easiest schedule left but Texans, Panthers, Bills, and then 3 road games left against divisional opponents is no easy path either. We actually have to root for Osweiler to have a great game this week.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also it was great to see the Patriots lose like they did. A bit of poetic justice I guess for them to lose the very way they won the Super Bowl. And one has to wonder if those trades they made sending two pretty darn good defenders to other teams could come back to bite them. That defense doesn't look all that great. You get a team that can slow down that offense even just a little bit and they could find trouble.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting got Cincy to lose. I want the Ravens to run away with the ACFN and the other teams to lose.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is killing me today

Already had one turnover to negate points and almost had another in the end zone when there was not play to make

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC 17

TB 19

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00