• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Pirates

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Marte up and Wandy traded for I was anxious to put the challenges in perspective.

The Pirates are currently 56-42. In order to break the losing streak they need to go 26-38 or better. That's a win percentage of .406. The only two teams in the league who have a worse percentage than that are the Astros and the Padres. Coincidentally we'll be playing those two teams a bit in the near future.

The Pirates real win percentage is .571 and their pythagorean expectation is only two losses worse than that at 54-44. Any way you slice it I think it would take a pretty epic collapse to prevent this team from breaking the streak.

The longest consecutive losing season streak in major professional sports is in jeopardy. Rejoice.

We're doing so well that we need to talk about playoffs instead. According to ESPN's 'playoff chance' we're at 77%. We have control of the top wildcard and we're two games out of first. The Reds have been playing very well but Joey Votto is still injured and it's not out of question that they might go through a little losing streak before he comes back.
The schedule is favorable for us getting the wild card, as only the Reds have an easier schedule in the second half of the season. One thing I noticed that you may not want to hear - the Pirates final series is against Atlanta. If it comes down to it we fans might be facing some demons. It could be like the final boss in a video game.

The weapons in our arsenal:

1. Marte
2. Walker
3. McCutchen
4. Jones
5. McGehee
6. Alvarez
7. Barajas
8. Barmes

The bar is set low for Marte. He doesn't need to play particularly well and he'd still be an improvement over Presley and Tabata in left but I'm more optimistic than that.
There's still a problem in the middle of the order. Alvarez has played well but he hasn't earned clean-up. McGehee is slumping and Jones still should be protected from facing left-handers. I hate to say it but we still need Tabata to come around and earn his promotion back.
I like McKenry and Mercer for the bench. I think I like them better than the starters to be honest. Harrison and Sutton have their uses but I don't feel that this group of backups is a strength.

The starting rotation is legitimately deep but the top end isn't as intimidating as one would like. There's a huge difference between a rotation that's lead by Burnett and one that's lead by both McDonald and Burnett. If McDonald gets straightened out then our starting rotation is strong.

Correia is a great option for long relief. Lincoln, Hughes, Hanrahan and Grilli have been good for us. Even our bad relievers haven't been half bad. I'm looking forward to seeing Lincoln more in late innings.

I think that a serious playoff push still demands a middle of the order bat but I have to admit that I'll be happy enough if we just play out a winning season and look to improve again in 2013.

And as an aside - what we got from Derek Lee last year is EXACTLY what we need this year. I can't take it personally but it still annoys me that a guy who could've been exactly what we needed chose to stay at home when we offered him all of that arbitration money.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw Derrek Lee. Gosh he would've been perfect. I like McGehee and all, but Lee is just a better option. Seriously, his bat is basically what the FO is looking to get right now via trade.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post. (I agree with every point.)

Tried to approve this one as well, and got that dreaded "spread it around" message again.

While hoping for good performance from Marte, I'd LOVE to see Huntington find another bat without giving up too much, but that appears to be a real challenge at this point. With 4 days remaining, I'd still put the chances at better than 50-50 that he'll do SOMETHING.

I didn't care for the acquisition of Lee or Ludwick last year (I thought NH should have sought pitching instead), but Lee certainly did contribute while he was healthy. Since I believe the pitching is more robust this year (especially with the addition of Rodriguez), a Lee-like acquisition would be just the ticket.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we need tabata to come alive and platoon with jones.
if marte needs to, he could platoon with presley.

switch mcK and Rod, especially when it is still hi temps, so rod is fresh. McK is producing more, but dont overuse him.

give mercer some more time at SS, maybe 2-3 starts per game and PH off the bench with harrison. seems mercer might have a little pop and some life after his timid debut.

if we get a bat, either a rental for low prospect or eating salary.
or go big with someone that will be here a while.
i would still like the SS like a hardy type or a young budding SS.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acquiring another bat on the cheap, without giving up Marte or any of our big arms, would be amazing, especially if the guy has power.

1. Marte
2. Walker
3. McCutchen
4. New Bat
5. Jones/McGehee
6. Alvarez
7. Barajas/McKenry
8. Barmes

I think that would be a playoff lineup if the bat was worth anything.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

switch mcK and Rod, especially when it is still hi temps, so rod is fresh. McK is producing more, but dont overuse him.

give mercer some more time at SS, maybe 2-3 starts per game and PH off the bench with harrison. seems mercer might have a little pop and some life after his timid debut.

Lol, I know what you meant but it is still funny.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was talk today on the broadcast about them upgrading the bench. Would like to see them upgrade Sutton's spot, he has been pretty good, but just isn't an outfielder and for whatever reason strikes out a ton and doesn't walk.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Forgot to highlight last time, that is what I was referring to. Sorry.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i was thinking it was the last line you were referring to that really sounds awkward. totally missed the bold one when i read over it!

great win last night, marte coming through. was hoping for a hit instead of SF but he put a good stroke on it.