• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see the club stay the course with Cody Reed in the bullpen and reassess his role if he has some level of success.

Stephenson is a frustrating guy to watch. I keep hoping he'll turn the corner and be at least average. He showed a glimpse of getting it late last season, but seems to have already forgotten what he learned. He's got a lot of natural talent, but I can't decide if he needs time to mature or simply will never be able to consistently command his fastball.

Statcast can tell the Reds all they want to know about each pitch, but it doesn't tell them whether the guy has the acumen to put it all together.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 10 more days until the Reds set sail on the Titanic 2018 season. It supposed to snow Wednesday or Thursday so look out for icebergs.

With so few of games remaining in the Cactus League there's a lot of players still in camp. I'm not sure if that's because the players they really want to keep haven't performed well or they don't have a clue as to what they're doing. It's probably some of both.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 10 more days until the Reds set sail on the Titanic 2018 season. It supposed to snow Wednesday or Thursday so look out for icebergs.

That was a good one. but my laughing will soon be crying, because it is probably true

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read where Finnegan might start on the ninth of April. So it looks like he will be the 5th starter. This surprises me, because he hasn't pitched much at all this spring. That's almost 3 weeks away so he could be ready to go then. We will see

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it doesn't matter that the rotation isn't set. Games don't count till the end of the month.
Garrett appears to have earned a spot. I haven't seen Castillo pitch yet in any of the rare TV games.
Homer hasn't looked sharp, which doesn't bother me.
Romano has looked pretty good.
I don't think Finny is going to have much of a career, to be honest.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than talking points for us nothing that happens in ST really matters.

I just hope that some of what happened in Arizona stays in Arizona. Maybe they should have ST in Las Vegas.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Reds are a frustrating mystery. You could write a schizo Twilght Zone script about how they have repeatedly wound up in the same place since 1995 or so, but the one overriding thing comes to my mind: the pitching never hold up long enough. Same could be said for most teams I suppose.

The Nats Suarez signing was surprising, but if you consider at less than $10M a year, he's cheap enough if they keep him, and cheap enough to trade if they don't, unlike Votto and Bailey. He's improved his D at 3b, and at least on paper, can play SS and OF. Flexibility is important when you don't know who's at 2nd,SS, or the OF, and the Reds unfortunately don't. Scooter may be playing the frequent role of journeyman with an unexpected first Reds big year, only to fall back to mediocrity after the pay raise. Peraza and Hamilton are still trying to hit enough to justify their legsa and gloves. Schebler, DuVall and now Winkler, are still trying to be consistent enough to be called everyday players. So, if Senzel can hit, they'll find a spot for him.

The tougher job is finding a starting rotation that can put 4-5 guys out there that can pitch quality starts regularly. IMO, the Reds bullpen is not capable of splitting innings with a 5 inning rotation- none are.

I agree with posters here about the apparent inability of Reds prospects to adjust to better competition. Wether that's due to talent or coaching is immaterial in the immediate outcome. I do believe the Reds weakness in this area has forced young players over their heads, where confidence is tougher on a losing team. I would argue most of the current veteran SP hopefuls fell into that category themselves, and there lies the issue at hand. They can't buy existing pitching, they have to develop it...and KEEP doing that, if they hope to win.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, the Yankees are trying to win with one SP, 9 relievers, and a slo pitch softball all-star lineup. They do have the advantage of playing in arguably the least pitching heavy division in MLB, and have a bottomless checkbook. If healthy, they could break the team HR record, and lead the AL in wins while having a team ERA approaching 5.00.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did hear the annual "Billy's been working on his bunting game" line from the booth again yesterday, right before I watched him fake two bunts, and wail away at 3 sliders on his shoelaces.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boobie Stephenson sucked hind tit again.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Sheldon's latest words of wisdom are that "Hamilton not a lock to leadoff". Really? Why not? A fast guy playing CF with a career .248 BA and .298 OBP sounds like what we've grown a custom to. Why change now after a decade+ of ineptitude at the top of the order.

What's his next headline going to be. "Reds pitching may be a problem".

A moment ago#4
EditDelete
+

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price keeps running Oliver Perez out to the mound. He's pitched better the last couple outings, but I hope they don't keep the guy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we might see Hamilton lead off against lefties. Maybe even benched against righthanders given that Winker is a lefty hitter. Shove Shebler to CF,

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly hope this pitching staff is better than an 11-19 start or something that puts the team in last place before Memorial Day and the 'well, we usually play better after the break' bullshit.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea what a Grade 1 muscle strain is, but it appears either Shack or Quack has a leg up on making the pitching staff with Lorenzen maybe on the DL.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Reds signed Ben Revere. I assumed that he would be with the team on opening day. But I haven't heard much about him. Yesterday I read something about Philip Ervin having a good chance to make the team.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Revere hasn't been given a ton of opportunitues, but hasn't taken advantage of the AB's he has gotten.

The roster is at 40, so there is room to add a couple nonroster guys without waiving someone else. But cutting any deeper than that is going to require some tough decisions.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revere may end up like Raburn, hang around awhile, and end up somewhere like Oakland or Tampa. If a guy stays in camp, he'll get a contract. Revere isn't that old. He's a value but he's not going to make this outfield, since Price has already said who is in it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a few of these guys getting the Ryan Raburn treatment. Keep them up to the xx-b rule deadline and sending them on their way. But the club has a lot of recent history keeping players they shouldn't have. That being said I don't have a very good read on who is making the team off the bench beyond Mesoraco.

Of all the nonroster guys in camp the player that has made the best case is the Quacker. I dont think he's allowed a run this spring. I'd say with Lorenzen looking like he's headed to the DL the Quacker's odds have improved.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep waiting to hear about the 26 or 27-man roster so I can bitch about it, but on the other hand, does it matter if we see Penny, Goose, Flip or Paul Revere?
I think Mahle has won the fight to make the staff, thanks to Lorenzen and Disco.