• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt see it mentioned above but LMC all but said Bloomquist will be on the team if he is healthy and that only 1 of Miller/Taylor will make the roster.

That pretty much only leaves 3 spots available on the 25 if I am looking at this correctly.
-Miller/Taylor
-Elias/Walker
-1 bullpen spot (pretty much deciding if they are keeping a 2nd lefty and demoting a guy like Leone/Smith

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw his comments yesterday on that but has yet to decide on a 7 or 8 man pen. I just don't how you could go with a 7 man pen when 2 of your starters are basically rookies and average about 5+ innings each. Not sure what Happ's average is so it could be 60% of rotation needing 3+ innings of relief help.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it just seems with the roster it would be tough to have an 8 man pen. You need 4 bench spots for Backup Catcher, the other RF platoon, Weeks and someone who could spell at SS. Unless Weeks is getting cut but I think barring an injury he will make it.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will all become clearer as spring goes along and we actually can see what we have.

My guess is Miller is up Taylor is down, Sucre is backup C, Willie is Utility man that can fill in at SS, Ruggiano/Smith RF and Weeks is the result of fantasy land by GMZ and Loyd. A lot can happen in spring to change the course, injuries and surprise players coming out of nowhere happens.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will all become clearer as spring goes along and we actually can see what we have.

My guess is Miller is up Taylor is down, Sucre is backup C, Willie is Utility man that can fill in at SS, Ruggiano/Smith RF and Weeks is the result of fantasy land by GMZ and Loyd. A lot can happen in spring to change the course, injuries and surprise players coming out of nowhere happens.

I agree that is probably the group, but I then must question us going with one less bullpen arm and how we could call one up unless there is an injury? Usually you have a guy with options that can be sent up and down to clear a spot when needed at times for an arm, but with this bench group that wouldn't be available. It is just going to be interesting and we haven't mentioned the 'what if' Montero rakes in spring scenario. A lot of interesting conversations over mediocre players...lol.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I would prefer Miller and Taylor both on the team if I had my choice just because at the end of the day becuase I don't think Bloomquist is that good even though he is a good guy. But I don't think the team will eat his $3mill or whatever he is owed. I just don't see much value in sending Miller/Taylor to Tacoma if Marte is going to play SS down there unless you plan on playing one of them in a different spot. I guess that's why it would be nice to trade either Miller or Taylor if you can.

I'd love if Montero can rake since 1st base is one of the spots I am worried about. Although just because he is in good shape doesn't mean he can hit a breaking ball but we will see. I figure whatever we get from him is a bonus.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team is to actually contend, it doesn't have the luxury of another lengthy in-season tryout for an everyday SS.

It's uncomfortable enough to think of a 2nd year manager like LMC trying to platoon the outfield with the magical pieces JackZ bought on the cheap.

In short, the sooner we get everyday players into a rhythm at SS, 1B, and the outfield, the better.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that is probably the group, but I then must question us going with one less bullpen arm and how we could call one up unless there is an injury? Usually you have a guy with options that can be sent up and down to clear a spot when needed at times for an arm, but with this bench group that wouldn't be available. It is just going to be interesting and we haven't mentioned the 'what if' Montero rakes in spring scenario. A lot of interesting conversations over mediocre players...lol.

Good point about having a player with options, yet another reason I find the Weeks signing to be very bizarre. His spot was likely taking the place of the player that would have options.

The way this roster has been put together has been very odd to me. There are a lot of things that just have me scratching my head

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw his comments yesterday on that but has yet to decide on a 7 or 8 man pen. I just don't how you could go with a 7 man pen when 2 of your starters are basically rookies and average about 5+ innings each. Not sure what Happ's average is so it could be 60% of rotation needing 3+ innings of relief help.

This was the same question I am wondering since they didn't get an innings eater so with how they have set themselves up where they basically have to go 8 man. With the construction as of now either the starters or the pen is going to gas out kind of like last year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our starter situation was abysmal for the first few months of the season last year, which i think really burned our pen out. they continued with historical amazingness despite being called on to go above and beyond the call for most of the season.

i'm fine with a 7 man pen if we have a healthy rotation who can pitch every 5 days. that's a big if, of course.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pumped... I'm going to be up there next Thurs thru Sunday... March 5th thru 8th...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our starter situation was abysmal for the first few months of the season last year, which i think really burned our pen out. they continued with historical amazingness despite being called on to go above and beyond the call for most of the season.

i'm fine with a 7 man pen if we have a healthy rotation who can pitch every 5 days. that's a big if, of course.

I guess I can't remember but were the starters really that bad or just didn't go deep into games? I know Lloyd massively overworked the bullpen with his on the fly pushing back starters starts. Even with a healthy rotation I think it is alot to ask to have Paxton, Walker/Elias and heck even Haap to be pitching enough to give the bullpen a break yet still being strong for a hopeful playoff push.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I can't remember but were the starters really that bad or just didn't go deep into games? I know Lloyd massively overworked the bullpen with his on the fly pushing back starters starts. Even with a healthy rotation I think it is alot to ask to have Paxton, Walker/Elias and heck even Haap to be pitching enough to give the bullpen a break yet still being strong for a hopeful playoff push.
i might be misremembering

kind of drunk

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During Paxton's 3 month injury they couldnt really fill that spot with consistency. Ramirez, Walker, Maurer, Beavan, Wilhelmsen all got starts there and couldnt stick. Once Paxton got back is when Elias hit his rookie wall and then Kuma/Young started struggling.
For some reason I think Kuma is the key. I just have a bad feeling he has started digressing and I really hope I am wrong

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wife and I planned on taking grandson to M's practices this weekend, but rare AZ rain will shut us down. Try again next weekend. Have tickets for 7th. Down 1B line, front row. Interested to see what changes were made to inside of stadium.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stuff I'm finding out about Cruz's season last year that maybe you all knew, but I didn't.

25 of his home runs were on the road, and the other 15 were at home.

With the press yesterday, he iterated that he's a line drive hitter, and that hitting a ton of homers at Safeco isn't a priority, which I'm fine with. Signing anybody and hoping for that is folly in this era.

This was one of the reasons why I didn't think hitting in Safeco would be a huge problem. Camden Yards is a serious hitters park, it's not like playing there inflated his HR statistics.

I seriously doubt that he will match his 2014 totals, or even come close to them, but I'd be happy with/I expect around 25-30 HRs. It would be a drastic increase from the DH performance we've had last year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ, 3 things.

1. Really appreciate the Spring Training updates. I've always loved reading them going back to CBS, always really interesting.

2. Try to keep an eye on Montero. I'm actually really interested to see how the loss of weight impacts his hitting. His increased fitness will obviously help him in the field and running the bases, but I'm interested to hear how he looks at the plate.

3. Your profile picture: I had seen that screenshot of the play when Wilson released the ball, Lockett was open, the Seahawks got what they wanted and Wilson made the right decision, I think that picture just shows what a great play Malcolm Butler made and perhaps the lack of effort by Lockett in fighting for the ball.