• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiderman 3. you coudl've watched like the first 10-20 and the last 10-20 (the opening chase scene and the 2 on 2 bedlam smackdown) and seen 90% of the good parts in the movie.
You must really like action. Those were probably my least favorite parts (especially the beginning scene). But the scenes with the Sandman transformation, Peter battling with his inner-venom, Topher Grace becoming Venom, James Franco's butler telling him that Norman was impaled by his own glider, James Franco sacrificing himself for Peter, and the Sandman blowing away into the wind were all very good/awesome. Yes, the Sandman becoming a sympathetic good guy was kind of horseshit, but at least Topher Grace was an all-around baddie.

Say what you want about Spider-Man 3, but it was not the fucking steaming pile of shit that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2/5 stars) was.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried Sanderson for a bit. Good magic building, but his handling of characters leaves a lot to be desired, imo. If someone loans me their books, I'd probably read them, and maybe he's getting better, but I stopped reading his stuff a couple of series ago.

The one with the metal/coins/push physics?
No, I do not know that series. I had 2 credits on Audible, and just downloaded It and Altered Carbon, the second obviously on your recommendation. I will have to choose whether to listen to the second Way of Kings novel or one of those two.

I am not done The Way of Kings, but I am loving it thus far. I am surprised at your disdain of his characters. In this series, Kalladin and Dalinar Kholin are fucking amazing characters, especially Kalladain.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I do not know that series. I had 2 credits on Audible, and just downloaded It and Altered Carbon, the second obviously on your recommendation. I will have to choose whether to listen to the second Way of Kings novel or one of those two.

I am not done The Way of Kings, but I am loving it thus far. I am surprised at your disdain of his characters. In this series, Kalladin and Dalinar Kholin are fucking amazing characters, especially Kalladain.

I've already said that he may have improved. That's been known to happen. I just got really fucking tired of having to opt in for five or six books when I felt I was being strung along to a certain extent (probably the fault of the publisher, but still, it's ME being asked to shell out the $ and time)

There was nothing WRONG with his characters, I just felt that they were bland and unnoteworthy.

If he's gotten better, good for him.

Perhaps I'll take "Way of Kings" out of the library.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiderman was freaking awesome. Had a few flaws but damn good.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spiderman was freaking awesome. Had a few flaws but damn good.

:suds:

Yeah, I've already seen it as well.

Really good, my favorite superhero movie so far this year, and that's saying something when the previous three were as good as Logan, GotG2, and WW.

It's also pretty easily my favorite of all 6 Spider-Man live-action films.

I've been posting these trailers and promos for completeness for those who want to see them, but I wish Sony would realize that promoting a movie does not mean "spoil entire movie in trailers and promos."

Disney/Marvel are more restrained and much smarter in their marketing campaigns, which has contributed to their movies and their entire studio being much more successful than Sony.

Agreed that early word of mouth is that this is an excellent movie... and I sadly feel like I won't be able to enjoy the movie as much as I would have since so much of it has already been spoiled by Sony's dumb beat-the-audience-over-the-head marketing campaign.

I'm still mad at the trailers for spoiling the resolution to the ferry scene, but I'm happy there was plenty of other interesting stuff in the movie that the trailers and promos didn't spoil. :)

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Yeah, I've already seen it as well.

Really good, my favorite superhero movie so far this year, and that's saying something when the previous three were as good as Logan, GotG2, and WW.

It's also pretty easily my favorite of all 6 Spider-Man live-action films.

I'm still mad at the trailers for spoiling the resolution to the ferry scene, but I'm happy there was plenty of other interesting stuff in the movie that the trailers and promos didn't spoil. :)
Like there are plenty of legitimate gripes about this film, but I viewed it as a marvel puzzle piece avenger flick, and hell I came out thrilled with the product. If people don't go in with that same understanding I can totally see people saying this is possibly the 3rd worst. You definately have to be like, ok I get it's a Spidy movie, but it is prt of a bigger picture unlike the last 5.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great movie. Anyone else think they toned down Marisa Tomei's sex appeal from Civil War to appease the critics?

Oh yeah, and fuck you and your end credits scene, Cap.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went in with pretty high expectations and this thing definitely met them. Hard to argue it's not the best of the 6 Spidey films. The Amazing Spidermans and Spiderman 3 were pretty bad and while 1 and 2 were good it was weird seeing Peter Parker portrayed as a 30 year old with down syndrome. Holland nailed it, Keeton nailed it, and the supporting cast was solid.

Somebody else mentioned this somewhere but it was kind of weird that there was no mention of the "spidey sense". He sort of appears to have it sometimes and other times just get nailed from behind when you'd think he'd be able to at least try to avoid the hit. Minor complaint. Also thought it was pretty funny how they tried to conceal the whole twist with the hot chick's dad being The Vulture. I mean, it worked. I definitely did not look at that chick and think "That's Michael Keeton's daughter".

Cool to see The Shocker in there albeit briefly. Looks like Nacho is going to be Scorpion in the next film. I'd really like to see Mysterio and Carnage, but I can handle Scorpion. Seemed unlikely they'd do Carnage anyway since you probably need to do Venom first and they already have that solo Venom movie coming.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Homecoming is easily the best Spider-Man movie and Tom Holland is flat out the best Peter Parker and Web Slinger to date! He captured both alter egos of the character to a capital T.

Toby Maguire portrayed Peter well but could have been better in the costume. Alexander was top notch as Spidey but wasn't quite Parker. Holland made you remember Peter was still in the suit merging both characters like the comic does. The sequel can't come soon enough!

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the white-hot love for this movie. The only 2 things that made it unique was the Avengers/Iron Man involvement and the new Spidey Suit. I don't think it was a better movie than 1 or 2.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Ned's last name is Leeds.....

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Ned's last name is Leeds.....

Erh, why or how is that a spoiler? Ned's identity has been public information since many months before the movie's release, and the actor openly discussed in interviews potentially playing Hobgoblin in the future. It's not a twist in the movie like the identities of
Liz or Michelle

Last edited:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erh, why or how is that a spoiler? Ned's identity has been public information since many months before the movie's release, and the actor openly discussed in interviews potentially playing Hobgoblin in the future. It's not a twist in the movie like the identities of
Liz or Michelle

Actually the MJ drop for Michelle has been discredited by the studio as just a nod, and she's not actually going to be Mary Jane. Time will tell if that turns out to be the truth or just a lame attempt at a smoke screen.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liz or Michelle
I never saw those interviews, and didn't recall ever hearing his last name in the movie.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the movie tonight. I was totally bored with the first half, but at about the time of the ferry (Yeah Nacho!!!) it started to get REALLY good.

I liked the nods and surprises too. I was shocked to see Pepper (even though she looked like shit). I thought she wanted nothing more to do with the MCU!?!? I knew they had to do something with Michelle. She was in every other scene, yet had no hint as to who she was, until the reveal.

They REALLY made a point to make Mae look old and worn. I loved Peter's comeback to the deli owner, though. Perfect and appropriate.