• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, it's like me saying that I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 346 km's. I would never say that out loud. Goes without saying, since that's the distance between the two.

Now if I say I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 90 minutes, that would be something to say.

Anyway, I appreciate that they threw the shortcut aspect in, just wanted them to make parsecs distance instead of time.

Except that you are dealing with linear distances and variable velocities.

They did make parsecs distance. That is literally exactly what they did.

It was pure fan service to settle a debate that has been raging for 40 years.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this long post about when the flick ends up on streaming sites, and revisiting, then I googled and found this:

Solo: How Han Makes the Kessel Run in Less Than 12 Parsecs

Still want to revisit, since unless my memory is going (very possible!), the language was still clunky and misleading.

But that satisfies me for now.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also can't imagine knowing four days out that I'm going to a movie.

And I never go to anything the first weekend. I'd rather wait and get my own arm rest.

When you're a father of 3 kids, you need to plan... Also, who says we don't get our own arm rests? ;-)... Also, with these new seats, you don't need to share arm rests...

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 great movies - A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back

2 pretty good movies - Return of the Jedi, Rogue One

1 solid if unoriginal fan homage movie - Force Awakens

3 below average movies with some decent elements - Revenge, Han Solo, Last Jedi

2 horrible movies that have little redemptive qualities, and get worse over time - Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

Han Solo was "meh". It wasn't the worst, but it ends up in the dustbin with the 4 bad Star Wars movies.

No self-respecting Star Wars fan calls the first movie that.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its officially a massive bomb. Kathleen Kennedy and her crew of SJWs ofcourse didnt listen to anyone but themselves about using Star Wars to jam their identity politics down the customers throats and shit all over them.

And just like I've been calling since the Last Jedi debacle, they're going to blame it on "Star Wars fatigue" aka blaming the fans, not the producers, directors, and script writers who are 110% responsible.

So how come over a decade later there isnt "Marvel fatigue". Answer me that Kathleen. Answer. They kept the politics to a minimum, and treated their fans aka "THE CUSTOMER" the right way.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its officially a massive bomb. Kathleen Kennedy and her crew of SJWs ofcourse didnt listen to anyone but themselves about using Star Wars to jam their identity politics down the customers throats and shit all over them.

And just like I've been calling since the Last Jedi debacle, they're going to blame it on "Star Wars fatigue" aka blaming the fans, not the producers, directors, and script writers who are 110% responsible.

So how come over a decade later there isnt "Marvel fatigue". Answer me that Kathleen. Answer. They kept the politics to a minimum, and treated their fans aka "THE CUSTOMER" the right way.

Except for Black Panther.... but yah.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this movie would be terrible. It was really good.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, it's like me saying that I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 346 km's. I would never say that out loud. Goes without saying, since that's the distance between the two.

Now if I say I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 90 minutes, that would be something to say.

Anyway, I appreciate that they threw the shortcut aspect in, just wanted them to make parsecs distance instead of time.

I don't necessarily agree that in this scenario someone wouldn't brag about the shorter distance, but I get what you're saying. Let's assume that we all agree with you on this point. How exactly could this movie have fixed anything? Nothing they could have done in this movie could have changed the fact that Han Solo said exactly that in Episode 4. The only way to fix that would have been if Lucas changed it somehow when he did the special editions. I'm actually quite happy that he did not. I don't think this movie could have done anything more than they did to fix it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's the opening weekend. To argue that the politics of the movie is what kept the box office down is pretty ridiculous. Well calling it a bomb is pretty ridiculous as well given that it made $140 million this weekend worldwide. Further Solo got an A- on Cinemascore. So it's not like people hated it in the theaters.

A far more likely explanation is that the last year of horror stories surrounding the production of the films and a not terribly eye popping trailer hampered their box office take.

I don't even know what identity politics you are whining about.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the opening weekend. To argue that the politics of the movie is what kept the box office down is pretty ridiculous.

Hollywood is trying to spin it as "Star Wars fatigue". After seeing the Last Jedi I'm definitely sick of Disney's interpretation of Star Wars, and won't be seeing Solo.

28q8.jpg

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollywood is trying to spin it as "Star Wars fatigue". After seeing the Last Jedi I'm definitely sick of Disney's interpretation of Star Wars, and won't be seeing Solo.

Which is fine.

The franchise is 40 years old. People that grew up on the originals are either going to hate these because they aren't the same or adapt and enjoy them for what they are.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is fine.

The franchise is 40 years old. People that grew up on the originals are either going to hate these because they aren't the same or adapt and enjoy them for what they are.

I think you're right that old school fans will like the movies less than newer fans. There is always old school loyalty in things like this.

But Disney isn't doing themselves any favors either with some of their story telling.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right that old school fans will like the movies less than newer fans. There is always old school loyalty in things like this.

But Disney isn't doing themselves any favors either with some of their story telling.

I think Disney has a few major problems when it comes to story telling.

1. They are constrained by well established universe in which, up until this film at least, the stakes were always extremely high. It's hard to keep making movies that have really high stakes because they start looking for James Bondian in nature.
2. These are still fun for the whole family films. So its tough to get really dark. IMO, they've done better than I would think they could have in that department but still they clearly feel the need to cute up the films way too much to keep the kids happy and to maximize merchandizing income. I am not sure any studio would act differently with this particular franchise.
3. Deviating from expected behavior of the well established characters is not going to be well received. So much of the hate thrown at The Last Jedi was because Luke wasn't the kind of character that people expected. It's tough to succeed when you are limited in your story telling options.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is fine.

Or let themselves be triggered and melt as snowflakes. You forgot that one.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What 'identity politics' were in Han Solo?

I enjoyed the movie a lot. I think the lower than anticipated box office was more due to being up against other blockbusters that came out before it. Infinity War and Deadpool 2 are both still going at the box office. There are only so many movies people will want to go see in the theaters in a month.

It was a bad time to release this movie, and the ad campaign was not very good. And still, it's not a bomb. Just not the blockbuster Disney hoped it would. It's going to be profitable.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much of the hate thrown at The Last Jedi was because Luke wasn't the kind of character that people expected.

Apparently the only way one goes off alone and becomes a misanthrope is the Yoda model.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is fine.

I've been enjoying all the new Star Wars movies again, since the stink of the prequels.

Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie since the OT. Third favorite for me after ESB and ANH.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Disney has a few major problems when it comes to story telling.

1. They are constrained by well established universe in which, up until this film at least, the stakes were always extremely high. It's hard to keep making movies that have really high stakes because they start looking for James Bondian in nature.
2. These are still fun for the whole family films. So its tough to get really dark. IMO, they've done better than I would think they could have in that department but still they clearly feel the need to cute up the films way too much to keep the kids happy and to maximize merchandizing income. I am not sure any studio would act differently with this particular franchise.
3. Deviating from expected behavior of the well established characters is not going to be well received. So much of the hate thrown at The Last Jedi was because Luke wasn't the kind of character that people expected. It's tough to succeed when you are limited in your story telling options.
People hated on The Force Awakens because it cribbed too much from A New Hope.

And then the same people hate on The Last Jedi because it went it's own way.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the only way one goes off alone and becomes a misanthrope is the Yoda model.

What's funny about that is that the canon HAS a guy who goes off alone to be a misanthrope. Yet that still wasn't enough for a lot of the fans.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People hated on The Force Awakens because it cribbed too much from A New Hope.

And then the same people hate on The Last Jedi because it went it's own way.

If I were to rank the films I would probably go.

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. Last Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Han Solo
6 Force Awkens
7. RoTJ
8-10 the prequels.