• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, you get to reserve a seat(s) on Monday or Tuesday for a movie on Friday or Saturday... Guaranteed a good seat... You can get there when the movie starts instead of going and waiting in line for 20-30 minutes to ensure you get a good seat... You're also guaranteed to have seats together if you're going with multiple people, etc... It's awesome... It's more convenient to go to a movie these days... You don't feel like you have to work at getting a good seat and ensuring they're all together if your w/ a group of people... The recliners/reserved seating is the only way to go, imo...
Also can't imagine knowing four days out that I'm going to a movie.

And I never go to anything the first weekend. I'd rather wait and get my own arm rest.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So-Low" at the box office:

wnszyomqwf011.jpg

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So-Low" at the box office:

wnszyomqwf011.jpg

Funny that mentions Justice League because I was just telling a friend that Solo was likely suffering from the Justice League effect as I call it. JL bombed because while a better movie than the one that came before it(for JL it was Batman vs Superman and Solo it was Last Jedi) those were huge movies at the Box Office and people didn't want to get suckered again.

Solo is far and away a much better film than Last Jedi but I don't blame people for not rushing it to see after TLJ killed a lot of their enthusiasm. Just like BvS did to Justice League.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Maul scene was badass but threw me.

2nd best villain in the universe and was wasted o the worst movie in the universe. Then it's like hello let's explore this a little more. There are alot of constraints because it's an established timeline but I would love to flesh out more of what Darth Maul has to offer to this series

Have you seen The Clone Wars? That character is pretty big in that series.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, most of the negative reviews of these new(er) movies tend to be with more than casual fans. People who have read a lot of the intervening books, watched the animated stuff etc.

I'd put the rating of Solo at about 7 out of 10. Not a great movie, but solid. I thought it tipped the cap nicely to a few things from the movies (ie: yes, very much in Han to shoot FIRST). Wish they'd fixed the PARSEC mistake, but I guess they're kinda' committed to that error now.

But I don't have much of a stake in most of the extra material that's out there. Don't think I read more than one book over the years. I've seen some of the animated series, but always just considered it kid stuff.

Did they not fix the Parsec thing? I thought they took an alternate and more dangerous route in order to deliver the package in time.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they not fix the Parsec thing? I thought they took an alternate and more dangerous route in order to deliver the package in time.

They still refer to it as a measurement of time instead of distance.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't how I saw it. I thought they were taking a more direct and dangerous route, so it reduces the distance they had to travel on the Kessel Run

They said it multiple times, I did the Kessel run in ______ parsecs.

No biggie, it's kinda' a nonsensical thing to get hung up on, just can't stand when they do small stuff wrong that doesn't have to BE wrong.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No biggie, it's kinda' a nonsensical thing to get hung up on, just can't stand when they do small stuff wrong that doesn't have to BE wrong.

I'll chalk that up to poor grammar I guess. Although I'm not certain what the more appropriate wording would be to brag about a shorter distance. Not something I hear too often. But is that not how he words it in A New Hope? If so, and if that wording can't be used to refer to distance then it wouldn't really matter what they did in this movie. Han would still refer to Parsecs as a unit of time in A New Hope.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, yeah. Because the Kessel run usually takes 20 parsecs if you go around the big superstorm in space thing. But, if you can cut right through it, it is a shorter route. They are bragging about the distance they had to cover.

Thanks To Solo, The Kessel Run Finally Makes Sense

Clunky, yeah. I am sure Lucus didn't know what parsec meant when he originally wrote the line, but it makes sense now

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Han says it in A New Hope in response to Obiwan asking if the ship was fast. So you can definitely infer it was intended to be a unit of time when that script was written. I suppose the idea is that since it's such a dangerous shortcut, only a fast ship would be able to pull it off.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better than I expected. Adding Maul is good because he becomes a crime lord in Clone Wars. Not perfect and I had a few gripes but solid 7.5/10

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been married almost 20 years and after 3 kids.....I've become Hand Solo and my wife has become Princess Don't Lei Me.....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put the rating of Solo at about 7 out of 10. Not a great movie, but solid. I thought it tipped the cap nicely to a few things from the movies (ie: yes, very much in Han to shoot FIRST). Wish they'd fixed the PARSEC mistake, but I guess they're kinda' committed to that error now.

While I do think that the original line was a mistake, it was a mistake that was pretty easily corrected and they did just that.

As for the movie I thought it was very enjoyable popcorn fare. The guy playing Han Solo did a really solid job on mimicking one of the most iconic characters in movie history. Donald Glover was fantastic as Lando. Khalisi was good in her role as the love interest.

I wasn't nearly as annoyed with L3 as others seemed to be. L3 wasn't supposed to be cute which made her annoying. The droid was SUPPOSED to be annoying.

The intro stuff on Han's home world wasn't super interesting because you knew it was a stepping stone so you just want to get on to the next phase but you kinda had to have it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah. Because the Kessel run usually takes 20 parsecs if you go around the big superstorm in space thing. But, if you can cut right through it, it is a shorter route. They are bragging about the distance they had to cover.

Clunky, yeah. I am sure Lucus didn't know what parsec meant when he originally wrote the line, but it makes sense now

As I said, he probably messed up the terminology back then.

HOWEVER, in retrospect it makes more sense for it to be distance rather than time. In the Star Wars universe all ships go the same speed in hyperspace. So there is no real way for people to go faster(iow use a time based measurement) when traveling in hyperspace.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gonna have to disagree with you here, C.

They made it clear that they were talking about a unit of distance. In fact they made it a point to be clear about what they were talking about.

This is basic physics.

distance traveled(d) = velocity(v) * time traveled(t)

If V is a constant because hyperspace travel is a constant velocity then the only way to shorten the time traveled is to shorted the distance traveled. In that context what Han is saying makes perfect sense.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like if you're a millennial then Star Wars has always been a disappointment.

People blame The Last Jedi but outside of the final act of Rogue One the series has mostly stunk the past twenty years

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right, it's like me saying that I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 346 km's. I would never say that out loud. Goes without saying, since that's the distance between the two.

Now if I say I can do the Calgary Edmonton run in 90 minutes, that would be something to say.

Anyway, I appreciate that they threw the shortcut aspect in, just wanted them to make parsecs distance instead of time.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna have to disagree with you here, C.

They made it clear that they were talking about a unit of distance. In fact they made it a point to be clear about what they were talking about.

This is basic physics.

distance traveled(d) = velocity(v) * time traveled(t)

If V is a constant because hyperspace travel is a constant velocity then the only way to shorten the time traveled is to shorted the distance traveled. In that context what Han is saying makes perfect sense.

Right, which is why we verbally express m/hour or kh/hour.

George fucked up that line, and for whatever reason they want to not fix it.

If we assume that hyperspace is a constant, then why all the verbiage about how fast the Falcon is?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do think that the original line was a mistake, it was a mistake that was pretty easily corrected and they did just that.

Agree half way. :)