• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slay can't be worse

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill quote myself, then you proceeded to try to convince me players like follet and willie young were difference makers, they werent and arent. They were all failed draft picks. Young is only on the team because they just dont have anyone lol. At first they thought they could develop him and now its just pointless. Imagine hiw much better suh and fairley make him look, fox was starting because they just didnt have anyone else, hilliard? Yuck.

Hey, reiff may turn out...i could be wrong on him..so maybe one.

You're wasting your breath trying to "debate" with a turd like this, Mebert. That response should tell you all you need to know. Some people need every pick to be a star and get hyped-up on the ESPN before they believe that guy can contribute. GVSU is apparently the leader of that group.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
outside of 10? Warford, Reiff, Broyles, Fairley, Delmas, and Levy. Slay will be good eventually, it is rare a CB comes into the NFL and does great right away.

Most people agree that Detroit has TONS of talent, they are just the most undisciplined team out there, and that causes them a ton of games.

Yessir. 100% agree. Talent is not the issue with the Lions. Leadership is. Schwartz can't control his temper.

I'm not sure exactly how he said it, but I think GVSU hit the nail on the head with that "Schwartz is 50% ego, 48% temper and 2% concussion" line...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um levy was one of the worst linebackers in the league last year and was only a starter because his competition was a bunch of special teamers,
Do you just pull shit like this out of your ass and then convince yourself that it's the truth? I'm honestly quite curious where you come up with these opinions you have...

I wish posters like you knew half as much (shit, even 10% as much) as they thought they did. You bitch a big game, but there's no substance behind your tired rhetoric...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have unleashed the Tpaul rage beast..........rawr

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you don't want to count new picks because it is too soon you have 2 drafts to judge Mayhew by. Which he brought in Stafford, Suh, Fox, Delmas, and Levy as starters. Hill is only gone because we got Fairley.

Your logic is sound here, but that's the very problem- these types want to have their cake and eat it too. You just pointed out a huge flaw in his argument, so don't expect any response on this one. Dissenters don't hold up well when faced with reality. Usually they just stick to hypotheticals and hyperbole because that masks their lack of underlying knowledge on the subject.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers come close, they don't have any late round stars, but most contribute.

The Packers are definitely the best at evaluating and developing talent via the draft. No argument there.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have unleashed the Tpaul rage beast..........rawr

Lol, not you at all.

My rage is due to reading all the incessant bitching. I can't stand people who need to bitch just to bitch. Fucking grow a pair already and offer up something constructive.

Pissing and moaning about our players is like a sitting in a rocking chair: it gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on here TP, most of what you just posted and directed at GVSU (I get that you guys dont like each other) is exactly the same thing I posted and I categorically disagree that its flawed logic.

First round picks are supposed to still be on the team, and certainly should be starting, so saying he's given us Stafford and Suh, both of whom were absolutely no brainer picks, or should we be giving credit to Millen to drafting CJ? That's more than a fair question as he's easily the best pick of that bunch. That's a have your cake and eat it too scenario, not what you were alluding to.

There are more than two drafts to judge him by so I'm not sure where that comes from. Eliminate those no brainer picks and what's left? Those second round flops are everywhere on this team. Best and Young were horrible picks, and BOTH had red flags all over them, we drafted them anyway and look how it turned out. Delmas may be an inspirational leader but a playmaker?...no way.

So far in THIS season Levy looks the part of a solid NFL LB, he has been a below average one in the previous years. I'm not sure how you would dispute that but its not important here in 2013 because he is playing great football and hopefully that continues. Leshoure may be on the team but he's a second round pick we traded up for who's a third stringer. He's two years removed from his injury and sure as heck isnt the impact RB he was drafted to be. Not only that he cant catch the damn football at all and that's critical in our offense so why did we draft him in the first place?

I've given Mayhew credit for what we have gotten from the first round, with Fairley being the best pick he's made where he actually had to think about who the pick should be. His second and third round success is horrendous (Young, Best, Williams, Spievey). His later round picks have produced very little as well. Just because Fox has managed to hang around for four years (without ever playing) doesnt make him a good pick. SLH was a good pick, Doug Houge was not, neither was Ronnell Lewis. Willie Young has proven to be nice late round pick if he would pull his head out of his ass, but thats about it.

For me to actually have to agree wtih MikeD just goes to show how far apart we are on this one buddy but where are the impact players that he's drafted outside of that first round? There just arent any, and in that way I think he's done a piss poor job. The trade for Houston was pure gold, the trade for Thomas was a steaming pile of horseshit. My problem with him is that for every great move he makes he cancels it out with a horrible one.

He was fantastic this offseason, hands down the best he's ever done as our GM. But he's had five years and this team should not have been in a position where it needed to go out and sign a bunch of impact FA's if he had done a good job in the previous four seasons he had. I'll give the guy credit where its due but you've got to take off those honolulu blue glasses and see that the glass is just as empty as it is full.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem admitting that he's missed on a lot of picks.

I do have a problem with people who only want to focus on those picks.

I don't buy into Stafford being a no-brainer. There was a ton of debate between he, Curry and Jason Smith at the time.

Also, and we're starting to get knit-picky here, but since you brought it up, I don't know where this reputation for Leshoure not being able to catch the football comes from? He had 30 some catches during his first and only pro season...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Leshoure suppose to be looking really fast this year? I'm still waiting to see it.:laugh3: I did catch a glimpse of Roary last game, didn't know he traveled with the team. He looked in high spirits but it simply wasn't enough.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on here TP, most of what you just posted and directed at GVSU (I get that you guys dont like each other)

Idk if it's so much that we don't like each other as it is that I'm just kind of a grumpy asshole today...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really blame anyone for bitching after that kind of loss. We should be 2-0 right now, no questions asked.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First round picks are supposed to still be on the team, and certainly should
be starting
1st round picks aren't always "no-brainer" though. Plenty of teams have missed on guys taken in the first round. Still takes good evaluation to get those right. Otherwise, why not just draw a name from a hat and see what happens?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen was 31-84 .270 winning %
Mayhew 22-55 .281 winning %

All the Mayhew kool aid drinkers saying he is so much better than Millen lol.
Nice standards.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy into Stafford being a no-brainer. There was a ton of debate between he, Curry and Jason Smith at the time.

When Dan Orvlosky is the best QB on your team... It's a no brainer.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round picks aren't always "no-brainer" though. Plenty of teams have missed on guys taken in the first round. Still takes good evaluation to get those right. Otherwise, why not just draw a name from a hat and see what happens?

I didn't say what you are saying at all. I said Staff and Suh were no brainier picks, a position I'll never move from. The picks of Fairley, Reiff, and Ansah took evaluation and scouting.

I have said that Mayhew in the first round has been solid, although two of those picks were no-brainer picks. I loved the Fairley pick and its way to early to tell on Reiff and Ansah. Both of whom are essentially rookies since we couldn't get Reiff on the field last season. It's been rounds 2-7 where he hasnt been good.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen was 31-84 .270 winning %
Mayhew 22-55 .281 winning %

All the Mayhew kool aid drinkers saying he is so much better than Millen lol.
Nice standards.

In all fairness he took over a dumpster fire

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yessir. 100% agree. Talent is not the issue with the Lions. Leadership is. Schwartz can't control his temper.

Wasn't it Mayhew's job to hire the coach? I'm confused.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did catch a glimpse of Roary last game, didn't know he traveled with the team. He looked in high spirits but it simply wasn't enough.

Roary has been one of the biggest disappointments of the year. He really has not contributed much at all so far.

By this time in years past, he had already made plays that sparked blow out wins. This year so far nothing.

I think we need to drop Roary and add Old Lion.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness he took over a dumpster fire

Come on, this is like Obama still blaming Bush for his problems.

In season 4... 4 wins, NFL teams go from worst to first in 1 season! Let alone 4 seasons and we are still picking top 5 in the draft? Ridiculous!

Last edited by a moderator: