• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Dbacks make a run at David Price?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offseason I have a feeling we're going to be VERY active, because we're going to have tons of money to spend due to contracts coming off the books & based off the contracts we got rid of last season. With the young guys (Lamb, Pollock, Owings, Tomas, Bradley, Marshall, Blair, de la Rosa, Anderson, Corbin, Inciarte, Peralta, etc.) developing this year, along with the young pen arms coming up and Goldy we could be in a position to contend in 2016.

I would love to go after front line pitching and we could use a lefty to throw in our rotation. If Corbin comes back close to his old self then our rotation could be filthy as long as we add an ace this offseason. They were close on Sheilds this winter, but I'm glad they waited it out.

Other options include Jeff Samardzija, Jordan Zimermann & Johnny Cueto. All of them (including Price) will be 30 years old besides JS who will be 31. I'd be OK with a big 5 year deal to one of those 30 year olds. We'd at least get 3 years of top notch pitching and then 1 decent year after those three. I prefer Price because of our need for more lefties. Because outside of Corbin we really don't have any.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rotation of Price, Bradley, Corbin, Blair/Anderson/Shipley/de la Rosa with Collmenter back in his long relief role would be real nice.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but that's a lot of money. $200+ mil for a 30 year old pitcher. How many of those types of contracts work out for guys 30+?

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to go for a true Ace. Corbin is not that. Price is proven. They should definitely go after him aggressively. You have to overpay in the majors to get elite PROVEN players. Goldy is elite, but they got him cheap before he cemented that status.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but that's a lot of money. $200+ mil for a 30 year old pitcher. How many of those types of contracts work out for guys 30+?

Like I said, usually those contracts work out for about the first 3 years. That's the price you pay to contend though.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look into trading for Cole Hamels and/or Jonathan Papelbon right now if the Phillies would be willing to pay a hefty amount of money in those contracts. The Diamondbacks have so much young talent in their minors system now since they started restocking it once La Russa came in. Plus they have the number one pick coming in the 2015 draft. I am sure they could put a package together the Phillies would be interested in. Hamels is a proven world series winner and been in the post season five times with excellent stats for four of those five years. We all know the Diamondbacks need a top quality veteran ace and a new closer. Hamels just turned 31 a few months ago. He signed through 2019. He is an ace.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels would be a great addition too. He's been under the radar a bit being on such a garbage team, but he'd be a 20-game winner last year on a good team with how he performed. Looking like that again this year. Papelbon would be great too.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is going to cost a draft pick as well. Likely our 2nd rounder unless we finish with a top 20 record, then it's a our 1st round pick.

I would be okay with signing him as long as he isn't looking $30 mil a season. That's ridiculous money for the length of contract he is likely looking for.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we took on the entire salary of both Hamels and Papelbon we could probably get them much easier. I imagine one of the five OF's (Pollock, Inciarte, Trumbo, Tomas, Peralta) being involved along with someone like Blair or Shipley and a couple lower level prospects.

Deal from depth and use financial flexibility, TLR. Please.

We need another lefty starter and if they so happen to be an ace like Hamels or Price then I'd be thrilled. We really just need one workhorse that is reliable in the rotation. Good pitching is contagious.

A rotation of Hamels/Price, Bradley, Corbin, Collmenter, RDL/Anderson/Arroyo would be nice. Especially if Corbin returns to form.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offense is actually pretty good now that they are healthy. I would say Inciarte, Pollock, Goldy, Trumbo, Lamb & Owings should all be main-stays.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's really premature to call Owings and (esp) Lamb main-stays. Both are expendable if packaged for an elite starting pitcher. Not so sure about Trumbo either. I like Inciarte and Pollock enough to almost (but not quite) put them in the untouchable category. Goldy is a no-brainer.