• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Sharks Vs Blues

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Marleau's play was huge tonight. I get that your preception is if they don't score points they are useless but the play of Marleau has been integral on many of the teams goals this series even though he may not get on the scoresheet for it. He's had a couple stinker games but but tonight he was a forechecking and backchecking beast.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marleau's play was huge tonight. I get that your preception is if they don't score points they are useless but the play of Marleau has been integral on many of the teams goals this series even though he may not get on the scoresheet for it. He's had a couple stinker games but but tonight he was a forechecking and backchecking beast.

Like I said, I missed the first two periods, but aside from the last shift of the game (which was great), patty looked awful to me, especially the penalty. Also, he took the 4 Min high stick (which turned out OK too), and players like patty, jumbo, pavs, cooch, etc are needed to score goals and make plays. no EV points and no goals in the series is not good enough. patty isnt giving up much, I suppose, so his defensive game has been ok, but the sharks are winning becasue of the play of jumbo, pavs, burns, and the rest of the supporting staff like tierney, ward, etc and the great defensive play of the top 4 D. patty's isnt a 4th line grinder, so while I wouldnt want him to sacrifice offense for defense, his job is to outscore the opponent and be a threat. 4 shots in 5 games is not a threat.

Thankfully, they havent needed him thus far.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well Dillion and Polak aren't expected to out up points more just get the puck out of thier end and not get scored on lol. These haven't been the best PO's for Marleau that's for sure however I won't complain if he goes on one of his points streaks soon.

Pavelski is having mark messierIsh playoff run. We will be talking about it for years if they get 5 more wins.

I would expect to see Elliot in game 6, Allen just plays way to small to have any hope against the Sharks.

On D and P: agreed that they arent expected to score, but still, at least be a tine bit dangerous on the point, and including their penalties and sub-par PK work, Id say they are a combined -10. The sharks have won in spite of them, not with them.

On patty: he was respectable earlier in the PO's, but has gone cold. They need him to win a cup, so one great game 6, and I wont care one bit! He still has the jets on the odd occasion he uses them, and with the blues playing back to back 7 game series, and relying heavily on their top 4, they may start to fatigue. Pietrangelo is averaging nearly 29 mins/gm in the postseason with bouwmeester near 25. Thats heavy minutes, so if patty uses his size and speed, he might get a stop on those guys. id love to see him use it...

On pavs: he has had many pretty star studded PO's, but like the big two, never got help. In this postseason, he's been unreal, but its defintiely been a team. He got goals 3 and 4, but someone else got goals one and two. without goals one and two, they lose 3-2. Cooch has been great. Ward, tierney, burns, pickles (who has has many points as Patty), donkey, karlsson, hertl, and just about every other player has contributed along with very steady goaltending from Jones (in virtually every game). The sharks dont get where they are now without all those guys playing well. Still, 12 goals in 17 games, with a bunch of GWG's is unreal! he's been my boy since wisconsin, as you know, so its fun to watch him emerge as one of the greatest players on earth, both on the ice and with the C and leadership. Amazing!

I expect Allen again, but I dont think it really matters. if the sharks play their game, are sound defensively, stay out of the box, and Jones is solid, STL will be in big trouble.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without the play of Marleau the Sharks probably loose this game. His defensive pressure forced a turnover when St. Louis was in the offensive zone. Marleau skated the puck out and put a weak shot on net so Allen had to stop it then Marleau beat the dmen back so Allen couldn't move it forcing an offensive zone faceoff. That faceoff resulted in the Sharks 1st goal. It's a little play that doesn't seem like much but turns out to be huge is the scheme of things. It's little details like that that win games and Marleau has been doing them all series long. The Sharks don't score the GTG without Marleau's board work. He held off two Blues players along the boards until Couture could come in and pry the puck loose. Did Marleau get a point on that goal? No, but his play was just as important as the three who did.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I should also add Deboer's use of his players has been magnificent. Burns is just barely over 25 mins game, and no one else over 24 minutes, and in a deep playoffs and long playoff series, the spreading of the love and minutes keeps everyone very fresh. I rag on pollak and dillon all the time, but the minutes they eat do really help, even if they are net minus minutes. He's held the older guys minutes very reasonable with jumbo at 19, patty at just 16:30, martin at 22. these guys are looking fresh and strong and not tired out. No one on the roster averages under 10:30. And, all four lines are confident and know that they matter. All four lines are contributing goals, and all 4 lines know they are important and that they need to be ready. No wasted roster spots on 3 to 5 minute goons like haley, brown, or scott and he has kept the guys cool to bounce back in the face of adversity.

I have to admit that I was lukewarm on Deboer's hiring, but right now, the way he has created a dangerous 4 lines, a dangerous PP, and put a leadership group in place with the right attitude is quite impressive, especially in light of the disaster of the last two years.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody want to seriously try and argue Joe Thornton being a "role player", "choker", "not a leader" etc... Anymore????

I'll wait.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does anybody want to seriously try and argue Joe Thornton being a "role player", "choker", "not a leader" etc... Anymore????

I'll wait.

Me! :-) Jumbo is playing great. No doubt. best playoff of his career. That said, he has one goal in the last 10 games and zero EV goals in that span. He relies on Pavs, cooch, burns or whoever to actually score the goals. If those guys dont finish, jumbo is useless. Arguably the best passer in the game, but guys like pavs score themselves and need nothing more than a soft wrister anywhere near the net to score a game winner. Jumbo has elevated his game, but he and patty have a combined zero goals this series. Generally, when your two highest paid players have zero goals in the first 5 games of a series, that series is already over. As great as jumbo has been, this has been the year of pavelski, couture, burns, and the depth.

OK, I had to bite :-)...

p.s.: Can you name another team to win a series with their two highest paid players going completely goalless (if those two players are forwards, and neither is injured or out)?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me! :-) Jumbo is playing great. No doubt. best playoff of his career. That said, he has one goal in the last 10 games and zero EV goals in that span. He relies on Pavs, cooch, burns or whoever to actually score the goals. If those guys dont finish, jumbo is useless. Arguably the best passer in the game, but guys like pavs score themselves and need nothing more than a soft wrister anywhere near the net to score a game winner. Jumbo has elevated his game, but he and patty have a combined zero goals this series. Generally, when your two highest paid players have zero goals in the first 5 games of a series, that series is already over. As great as jumbo has been, this has been the year of pavelski, couture, burns, and the depth.

OK, I had to bite :-)...

p.s.: Can you name another team to win a series with their two highest paid players going completely goalless (if those two players are forwards, and neither is injured or out)?

Hahahahahahaha fucking relies.

Seriously stop it. Watch hockey. Learn hockey.

I'll let the NHL players argue for me.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, this team still goes as Thornton goes. Most won't realize that until he's gone though.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's all enjoy this moment guys! The Sharks have never been this far in the playoffs ever! Wednesday could be a dreamy night and that is going to be the most important night in franchise history. We have to win this next game and go to the Stanley Cup Finals!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hahahahahahaha fucking relies.

Seriously stop it. Watch hockey. Learn hockey.

I'll let the NHL players argue for me.

Haha, I was just doing it for fun :-)... too serious Mr. Hockey :-). Jumbo has been awesome.

that said, I do watch hockey. I do know hockey. I do play hockey and have for over 15 years, and I know that scoring goals is the hardest part of the game, at least for a forward. NHL goalies are amazing, and shots often need to be perfect to score. To me, what pavelski does is harder than what thornton does, and more important too. Of course thornton's passing ability is best in the league, and his possession game is unreal. However, what makes jumbo so great this year is his backchecking prowess and great defensive effort. Jumbo has been battling in every zone, and that's really what I am thrilled about this year especially.

it will be interesting to see what happens to the sharks when the big two do retire.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, for the record, Ive had my issues with jumbo (namely that he is a passer only and thus not a threat himself which good teams key on and can shut him donw), but Patty is the only main guy Ive never liked. Not for a decade. I am in complete agreement with JR, who also has expressed some reservations about Jumbo a touch, but is all over PM. I completely agree with him.

I also have been the big supporter of pavs for some 13 years since his draft. Everyone who has been on the sharks boards since ESPN knows this. Even though he lacks the raw skill and talent (hes not big, kinda slow, skates mediocre at best), his heart is unreal and that to me is the main reason for his success. He works his tail off, harder than any other players in my opinion, and yet is humble, cool, and level headed. he has a huuuuge part of team USA coming one goal for a great upset gold medal, and its not coincidence that once jumbo was stripped of the C and its pinned on pavs' jersey that the team culture is totally different. yes, deboer is a big part. yes, jones' coolness is too. As is the vet acquisitions of ward and martin. But, aside perhaps from deboer, the biggest piece I feel is pavelski's captaincy. He, to me, has been and still is arguably the most underrrated player in the NHL. I would argue that he may be the best forward in the NHL right now in terms of all around game, leadership, heart, and his ability to inspire others and play his best when it matters most.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, for the record, Ive had my issues with jumbo (namely that he is a passer only and thus not a threat himself which good teams key on and can shut him donw), but Patty is the only main guy Ive never liked. Not for a decade. I am in complete agreement with JR, who also has expressed some reservations about Jumbo a touch, but is all over PM. I completely agree with him.

I also have been the big supporter of pavs for some 13 years since his draft. Everyone who has been on the sharks boards since ESPN knows this. Even though he lacks the raw skill and talent (hes not big, kinda slow, skates mediocre at best), his heart is unreal and that to me is the main reason for his success. He works his tail off, harder than any other players in my opinion, and yet is humble, cool, and level headed. he has a huuuuge part of team USA coming one goal for a great upset gold medal, and its not coincidence that once jumbo was stripped of the C and its pinned on pavs' jersey that the team culture is totally different. yes, deboer is a big part. yes, jones' coolness is too. As is the vet acquisitions of ward and martin. But, aside perhaps from deboer, the biggest piece I feel is pavelski's captaincy. He, to me, has been and still is arguably the most underrrated player in the NHL. I would argue that he may be the best forward in the NHL right now in terms of all around game, leadership, heart, and his ability to inspire others and play his best when it matters most.

I don't know if he's exactly the most underrated because he's gotten a lot of press the last two years. Just not a household name like the Crosby and the like. I just don't think he is well know enough, but after this po run I'm sure that'll change. Vlasic probably holds the distinction for being the most underrated player on the Sharks, did you even know Tarasenko was playing in this series?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I was just doing it for fun :-)... too serious Mr. Hockey :-). Jumbo has been awesome.

that said, I do watch hockey. I do know hockey. I do play hockey and have for over 15 years, and I know that scoring goals is the hardest part of the game, at least for a forward. NHL goalies are amazing, and shots often need to be perfect to score. To me, what pavelski does is harder than what thornton does, and more important too. Of course thornton's passing ability is best in the league, and his possession game is unreal. However, what makes jumbo so great this year is his backchecking prowess and great defensive effort. Jumbo has been battling in every zone, and that's really what I am thrilled about this year especially.

it will be interesting to see what happens to the sharks when the big two do retire.

But some of you guys have been serious all playoffs that because he doesn't score or because Pavelski is now the captain it means Joe is a role player and not a game changer.

There has been insane amounts of chatter these playoffs by sports writers on how much teams around the league are talking about the guy as a game changer and everything starting with him.

In hockey just having a center with massive size controlling the play is huge. Pts or no pts and people haven't been grasping that concept.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this team still goes as Thornton goes. Most won't realize that until he's gone though.

I agree with this. Thornton will be missed. It will be a big hole to fill when he retires. His passing ability second to none and he is hard to move off the puck once he has possession. Maybe after next season? Especially if they win the cup.

Marleau on the other hand won't be missed. I think Allen should have played the puck on the first goal. For every play like that one, there are 5 times he gets loosened from the puck and has a give away. He is pretty damn soft in regards to physical play and rarely have I seen him block a shot. His perfectly clean face over 18 years is proof of that. He already is missing pretty much and it doesn't matter. He is becoming Zubrus without the grinding part. Others have moved beyond him now in ability and production. And being on line 2 I would expect more offensive production than what we are seeing. I would say Tierney is having a better playoff than Marleau at 1/10th the cost. Thank God they don't have to rely on him as much now as their depth is some of he best they have had in years. I am in the Rules camp on Marleau but only Marleau. Thornton I view as much more valuable and not easily replaced when that time comes.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he's exactly the most underrated because he's gotten a lot of press the last two years. Just not a household name like the Crosby and the like. I just don't think he is well know enough, but after this po run I'm sure that'll change. Vlasic probably holds the distinction for being the most underrated player on the Sharks, did you even know Tarasenko was playing in this series?

I agree Vlasic has been amazing. Tarastinko is pretty frustrated and over thinking now.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree Vlasic has been amazing. Tarastinko is pretty frustrated and over thinking now.

No one will argue the greatness of pickles. I mean to make team canada as a Dman is virtually impossible given the names on that list. People in the know understand what pickles brings to the table. that said, tarasenko has sucked largely because he has sucked. Pickles gets some credit, no doubt, but the sharks dont exactly match perfectly like some teams do, and while pickles has done well, the whole team has really done well in that area.

Pickles is supremely valuable. No doubt there. Underrrated? yeah, id say so, but making team canada on D kinda makes me argue that he is quite rated :-)

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But some of you guys have been serious all playoffs that because he doesn't score or because Pavelski is now the captain it means Joe is a role player and not a game changer.

There has been insane amounts of chatter these playoffs by sports writers on how much teams around the league are talking about the guy as a game changer and everything starting with him.

In hockey just having a center with massive size controlling the play is huge. Pts or no pts and people haven't been grasping that concept.

I think the major knock on Jumbo is that his game goes down a notch in the PO's, and he has been outdueled by an opposition top C, be it Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews, or whoever. Jumbo is a bona fide #1 C, so of course he matters and isnt in the same category as a donkey, tierney, or karlsson. No one who is sane would argue that. This is the first playoffs where jumbo is outperforming the opposition center, and its fun to watch. of course, aside from Kopitar, he hasnt had to face top C's (missed on seguin, toews, getz, etc). if they meet Pitt, then Jumbo vs. Sid would be interesting.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One other guy who deserves some love is dougie. I mean, he found karlsson and donkey as free agents, and both are highly contributing players here. Zubris has been a solid pleasant surprise as well. Adding top 9 forwards "for free" is not easy, so you gotta tip the hat to dougie and his staff for fleshing out the forward group with good value. he also obviously did well hiring deboer, signing martin and ward, trading for jones, and being patient with the youth and not trading the vets. he pulled some good strings, took some pretty big risks, and it's paid off nicely for him so far. Gotta tip your hat there...