• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Atlanta Falcons

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

30-28. That has been the score the last 2 times the Seahawks have faced the Falcons, including a near miraculous comeback in Atlanta in last year's playoffs. This season the Hawks have shown that they can win close games, and with all kinds of adversity. They still haven't lost a game by more than 7 points to anyone since Russell Wilson has been the starter, and Wilson has 7 4 quarter comebacks and 9 GWD in his 25 career NFL starts.

Russell Wilson. No one has been better at getting positive plays out of broke plays this season than Wilson. Due to the Sehawks line issues this season, Wilson is pressured on over 50% of his drop backs. He's still managed to post a 98.1 passer rating, and has a tendency to make the big plays when they are needed most. If the Hawks find themselves behind, it's hard to not just believe the kid will bring them back, cause he always does.

LOB. The Falcons run the ball less than any team in the NFL, so there should be some opportunities for the DBs of the Seahawks to make plays. Matt Ryan is prone to mistakes at times, so if the team plays solid defense, gets pressure and has good coverage, Ryan may slip up eventually. Last week was the first time in 14 games (including playoffs) that the Hawks didn't force a turnover. Let's get a couple and start another 14 game streak.

Negatives:

Sleeping Giant. The swift fall from contender to forgotten has been very swift for the Falcons, and if they decide to wake up, it could spell trouble for the Seahawks. This is a team that has beaten the Seahawks each of the last 3 years and has scored at least 30 in each contest. Don't let the 2-6 record fool you, they have the talent to compete, especially with them possibly getting one of their weapons back this week.

Porous Defense. The Sehawks have allowed 200 yards rushing in each of the last 2 weeks, against weak run offenses (Tampa Bay's performance brought them up to 18th and St. Louis has climbed to 23rd). Once again the team will face a team who statistically shouldn't be able to run the ball on them. The Seahawks need to find a way to stop the turnstile defense up the middle, and defeat the Falcons at the LOS.

OLine Roulette. The Seahawks have had their fair share of injuries on the offensive line. Unger will be out, joining Giacomini and Okung once again. The Seahawks are going to have to show that they are getting better with the patchwork offensive line, not the regressions that seem to be happening for the last few weeks or so.

Match-ups:

Golden Tate & Doug Baldwin vs. Desmond Trufant, Asante Samuel & Robert McClain. In last season's playoff game the Falcons sold out to stop Lynch, holding him to less than 3 yards per carry, and that's a strategy that has been used the last two weeks to varying success. It looks like that until our tackles are back, teams are gonna try to stop the run and rely on their defensive line to beat the Seahawks pass blocking on pass plays. Tate and Baldwin will need to win their battles and give Wilson something to throw to before Umenyiura and crew can get too much pressure. Bevell is a pass first guy, and that comes through in his play calling at times, and I see him trying to soften the run D by throwing some passes.

Tony Gonzalez & Jacquizz Rodgers vs. Seahawks LBs. Gonzalez has caught 44 passes this season, and Rodgers has 33. In all, RBs and TEs have caught 35 passes since Jones and White went down, and the Falcons won't be afraid to use those weapons (especially since the Seahawks have given up plenty of yardage to backs and TEs on shorter routes). This doesn't mean that Harry Douglas won't get his looks (19-270-1 against Tampa and Arizona) but that is a problem from the LOB, and as long as the LB are giving good coverage and sure tackling, everything else will take care of itself.

Brandon Mebane & Tony McDaniel vs. Peter Konz, Justin Blalock & Garrett Reynolds. This team is gonna need Mebane and McDaniel to do a better job in the middle than they have the last couple weeks. There not only needs to be penetration to disrupt the play int he backfield, but they will have to not get caught in traps at the line. They are gonna need to stuff the line up, and not allow the linemen to get into the LBs. At that point, the LBs will need to make some sure tackles, the fumbles will come with good technique, no need to rip at every ball.

Overview:

The Seahawks are 4-1 on the road, including having played 3 of their 5 10am games already, and have built some confidence in their ability to come out with wins on road trips. Unfortunately, the Hawks have started playing sluggish at the beginning of games, no matter where they're playing. They will need to come out quick and keep the pressure on Atlanta the entire 60 minutes, something they really haven't done this season (except maybe the 9ers game). The offense will need to be better, they are averaging nearly 100 yards less per game on the road this season than at home (and they also average 10 points less per game). If the offense sustains drive and doesn't turn the ball over, then this could be a good game for the Seahawks.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice preview. One of the things mentioned is something we're talking about in another thread and that's the Seahawks seemingly trying to rip the ball out on almost every play, oftentimes in lieu of tackling the ball carrier. Creating turnovers might be part of the defensive philosophy, but I think that desire to rip the ball out on almost every play has cost them in the run game. The rule for creating turnovers, if that's going to be a big part of your defensive philosophy, has to be that the first guy to the ball carrier has to go for the tackle and whoever comes to the ball carrier after that can go for the strip.

These guys are so focused on punching the ball out that they forget that tackling a runner and forcing the offense to punt is also an effective way to get the offense the ball back, and it's causing them to give up big yards. Maybe they feel like they have to try harder to cause fumbles on defense because of the struggles on offense, but with Tate back there returning punts, there's a good chance the Hawks will get good field position either way.

The other thing that stands out about this analysis is that it mentions Bevell as a pass-first guy. Watching the past few games, particularly on plays in the redzone, I guess that statement shouldn't be a surprise, but given Carroll's stated run-first mentality on offense, it is a bit surprising.

To me... this game is gonna come down to the fundamentals. If the Seahawks can get back to tackling well instead of going for the strip all the time, the run defense should be significantly improved. On the other side of the ball, if they can stick to the run-first philosophy that Carroll has been preaching since he got here and manage to keep Wilson upright when they do pass the ball, the Seahawks can win this game. Doing those things should also help fix the problem of starting slow every week too.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chancellor jersey on - check
Jalapeno chili cheese salsa dip (homemade, not the crap in a can) n chips - check
Captain and coke - check

plenty of firewood

Yep, ready for some football. Go Hawks!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bad tackling starts at the top with Earl Thomas. And like dude mentioned it's all about fundamentals. Earl is so great with his range, his instincts and blazing fast speed but more often than not when he arrives to make the play he always tries to go for the big hit rather than wrap up and the results are he'll either bounce off the player or miss the tackle all together.

Our linebackers also need to do a better job at getting off blocks and taking better angles at rbs. Our d-line hasn't been exactly dominating against the run these past two games but usually when rbs get to the next level they're usually met right away with a swarm of seahawk players. That hasn't happened lately.

Offensively it's yet another week with a make shift o-line but it's not like Atlanta is fully healthy on their d-line either. So it should be no excuses. Atlanta has been one of the worst defenses this year and offensively they have been very turnover prone especially in the past two games. LOB needs to take advantage of that. If Matt Ryan has another multiple pick game we will win by 14-20.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point of attack… Seahawks have been getting manhandled at the line of scrimmage the last couple weeks upfront and it's not what this team is about… Were a physical team and that's what we are, ACCEPT for the last couple weeks… It just seems were back on our heels not playing with any intensity starting games and were making things allot harder than they have to be… 200 yards rushing to the Rams and Bucks was simply unacceptable for this team… But I'm telling you I saw it coming from the start of both games we just seemed lazy and uninterested to battle upfront… You can't just get up for the big games and coast playing the teams with bad records or YOU WILL GET POPPED IN THE MOUTH…. This is the NFL… The second half of last week it was a TOTALLY different defense so please Seahawks don't start out back on your heels… Let's bring it and take care of business especially at the line of scrimmage… We have the pass coverage guy's so focus on stopping the run … No excuses…

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we will all be watching both lines and their play should be the story of this game. Atlanta is going to try and create a running game and our defense has to do something about it. Keep them down and it will be a long day for the Falcons offense. Unger going out again is really bad for us at a time when we already can't protect Wilson either at home or on the road and now we ask that already bad unit to come through on a 10am road game where slow starts are the rule, not the exception.

I will be holding my breath on every offensive snap this game. Really don't want to see him injured in this game and I won't rest until the game is over because of that simply terrible pass blocking he will be asked to play behind.

Will Bevell finally do something to help give him more protection? I'm sure we would all like to see Robinson or Miller doing more to aid the tackles, but none of us are going to be surprised when that doesn't happen.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys i got on a Seahawks Turt;le neck on so it is all good on my part

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or have these announcers been dick riding Earl Thomas hardcore the past 4 or so weeks?

Don't get me wrong he is a great player it just gets really redundant when every week they talk about nothing but Earl Thomas.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or have these announcers been dick riding Earl Thomas hardcore the past 4 or so weeks?

Don't get me wrong he is a great player it just gets really redundant when every week they talk about nothing but Earl Thomas.

Better to have them talking about Thomas ad naseum than to constantly be talking about Sherman's mouth and have that be all we hear about in the national media. I'll take talking about any positive play over that.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BeastMode looks hungry early. Good.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice run by Marshawn. Was worried that Bevell would try to get cute on that 3rd and short.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better to have them talking about Thomas ad naseum than to constantly be talking about Sherman's mouth and have that be all we hear about in the national media. I'll take talking about any positive play over that.

Good point.

I feel like they just focus on the secondary. Never mention anything about the linebackers or defensive line. It has reached the point where before the game I can predict everything these guys will say.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy crap, Lynch putting on a clinic

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start! Nice to see us running.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there was the screen play, -five didn't work, so OC never see it again.:L:laugh3: