• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saunders Traded

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge surprise to those that have monitored the situation the last year. Looks like he was shipped to Toronto for JA Happ.

Good news is that it gives us some needed rotation depth. Bad news is it makes the need for a corner outfielder more glaring. I hope he gets the opportunity to be a quality everyday player because he wasn't going to get it here.

dumbrabbit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly suspect Happ is going to be used as trade bait.

But there's also Alex Jackson who's been awesome in MiLB who might have a shot soon, probably doubtful that he succeeds though.

I love how active Jack Z has been past couple of seasons.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge surprise to those that have monitored the situation the last year. Looks like he was shipped to Toronto for JA Happ.

Good news is that it gives us some needed rotation depth. Bad news is it makes the need for a corner outfielder more glaring. I hope he gets the opportunity to be a quality everyday player because he wasn't going to get it here.

you make him sound like some sort of victim.

he was never healthy for more than 40 games at a time. they would've played him every day if they could, but he broke all the time.

i'm fine with that being gone. he played decent quality ball for almost 1/2 of a season. that's it.

i do agree that we still need OF help. i would say that whether his broken ass were here or not, though.

i think part of this martyr thing with saunders comes from the idea that mcclendon was playing favorites. maybe that was true, but saunders has never shown he has what it takes to be an every day player. how many more years should he have gotten here?

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its kinda sad to see him go but I guess i can see why they team is moving on, as Cezero pointed out Saunders was hurt so much that it killed his value to the team. they just couldn't count on him. If Seattle was in their old not trying to win ways Saunders might have stuck around but I think Z is scared for his job and is finally trying to add to the foundation that he built. But I'm also happy for him since I'm sure he'll love playing in Canada since he is Canadian.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a shame that Saunders was never able to put it all together here. If he stays healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in Toronto.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that leaves us with the just Felix from the 2009 team, crazy.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you make him sound like some sort of victim.

he was never healthy for more than 40 games at a time. they would've played him every day if they could, but he broke all the time.

i'm fine with that being gone. he played decent quality ball for almost 1/2 of a season. that's it.

i do agree that we still need OF help. i would say that whether his broken ass were here or not, though.

i think part of this martyr thing with saunders comes from the idea that mcclendon was playing favorites. maybe that was true, but saunders has never shown he has what it takes to be an every day player. how many more years should he have gotten here?

I am higher on him than most but I can definitely see the other side of the coin. I thought most of injuries were unlucky such running into a wall or a check swing. I like what I saw when he was in there this year. I would think given the outfield situation there has to be at least another move coming but we will see.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am higher on him than most but I can definitely see the other side of the coin. I thought most of injuries were unlucky such running into a wall or a check swing. I like what I saw when he was in there this year. I would think given the outfield situation there has to be at least another move coming but we will see.

if he plays a full season of ball similar to his limited 2014, i'll be surprised. and kind of angry at the universe.

i think deep down i'll be happy for him, though. i don't think he ever put anything but 100% effort into his playing time....or rehab time, i guess.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It sucks he's gone, but it also sucked when he was hurt, I really hope there is someone there targeting in FA for that corner spot, they lack depth on the farm in the OF....( That can hit)

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have the same thoughts about Saunders that you do. I also knew he wasn't going to be here for 2015 so I am glad that they were able to add some depth at SP. Happ is a back end of the rotation guy so nothing special.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder who we're targeting for the OF. I hope we can just sign Melky. As time goes by I'm cooling off n Upton and Kemp. The players we need to give up arent worth it.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder who we're targeting for the OF. I hope we can just sign Melky. As time goes by I'm cooling off n Upton and Kemp. The players we need to give up arent worth it.

yeah, melky

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haap is better IMO that what Young was when we picked him up last year, and considering what Safeco did for Young I have to assume it will have a similar effect for Haap. I do like Saunders, and feel like he will do well in Toronto, but their field isn't the same as ours. Saunders has more value in in Toronto just as Haap has more value in Seattle due to the fields. The difference, a low 3.00 pitcher for a full season is better than a .300 hitter for 79 games. Did the deal, like the deal, now go get another bopper Z!!!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always respect and root for Saunders. IMO he did everything the right way even though the Mariners IMO shat all over him his entire career.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good deal for both teams

saunders should hit better at rogers centre

Happ should pitch better at safeco

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good deal for both teams

saunders should hit better at rogers centre

Happ should pitch better at safeco

yep, good trade all around. We get a lefty who won 11 games last year, in the AL, for an often injured outfielder.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Saunders will be motivated to play through some of his lesser injuries now that he is with a team that reprresentts his couuntry. Obviously I don't know if Saunders might have exaggerated some of his seemingly nedless stringg of injuries. But I wonder if maybe Jack Z and MClendon suspected as much?

At any rate, I'll miss Saunders. I liked him. I still think there is a huge upside there and if he starts 130 games next year - there's your fantasy sleeper of the year. He'll rake in that hitter's park with Joey Bats 'protein bars' supplementing his strength.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They quoted Saunders on ESPN saying "there's no hard feelings" with Seattle so that's a good thing I guess? Keeping it classy. I wish him and Smoak the best, in fact I hope they flourish. We can't be mad one bit either, they both had their chances and the clock ran out. More so for Smoak than anything.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The former third-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies is owed $6.7 million for 2015, but Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that the Blue Jays will be sending some cash Seattle’s way. The amount is expected to be around the difference between the salaries owed to Happ and Saunders in 2015, though nothing has been officially confirmed yet. Saunders was projected to earn a salary in the $3 million range as an arbitration eligible player.