• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Royals Sign Jason Vargas To Four-Year Contract

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
average salary of $8 million a year

is that really any worse than $35 million for 2 years of Lincecum or $23 million for 2 years of Hudson?

Vargas isnt great, but he throws strikes and eats innings.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fantastic signing

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know the Phillies actually signed Marlon Byrd for 8 mil a year also, lol.....

Marlon Byrd actually played well this season and that contract isn't going to cripple the Phillies for years to come

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down year last season on account of injuries. With KCs defense I'd expect over 200 innings with an ERA under 4. There's room for a Vargas on most pitching staffs.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised about all the positive reviews from many posters I have seen on several websites. I understand that the K and Defense will help him quite a bit. And I must say, I do like Eiland as a pitching coach. But honestly? It feels like we could have gotten a Phil Hughes or Josh Johnson type pitcher for the same pay grade and it would be just as good, if not better in all likelihood (or in my opinion anyway). The signing just seems unfulfilling when the expectations are to make the playoffs with Shields and develop the young pitching talent at the same time.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down year last season on account of injuries. With KCs defense I'd expect over 200 innings with an ERA under 4. There's room for a Vargas on most pitching staffs.

He certainly will have no excuses to not have an above average year production wise.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly will have no excuses to not have an above average year production wise.

I agree. And think he'll be a big plus for your Royals Moose. I'd much rather have Vargas over Johnson or Hughes. And I once was a very big Hughes honk. (Johnson's arm falls off yearly, hence the one year deal)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised about all the positive reviews from many posters I have seen on several websites. I understand that the K and Defense will help him quite a bit. And I must say, I do like Eiland as a pitching coach. But honestly? It feels like we could have gotten a Phil Hughes or Josh Johnson type pitcher for the same pay grade and it would be just as good, if not better in all likelihood (or in my opinion anyway). The signing just seems unfulfilling when the expectations are to make the playoffs with Shields and develop the young pitching talent at the same time.

You're just like Angels fans.

You won't understand Vargas' value until you see how rock steady he is. $8 mill/year for what he'll give you is a bargain.

Anybody with an understanding of the value of competent starting pitching will understand by June 2014 or earlier.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just like Angels fans.

You won't understand Vargas' value until you see how rock steady he is. $8 mill/year for what he'll give you is a bargain.

Anybody with an understanding of the value of competent starting pitching will understand by June 2014 or earlier.

I suppose I just want my god damn playoffs right fucking now with Shields still as a Royal. Judging from all the positive reaction, it does seem to appear that I am out of line in my judgment of Vargas. I do think his production will meet the War/$ that should be considered. I am probably just being a picky fan.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I just want my god damn playoffs right fucking now with Shields still as a Royal. Judging from all the positive reaction, it does seem to appear that I am out of line in my judgment of Vargas. I do think his production will meet the War/$ that should be considered. I am probably just being a picky fan.

I don't blame you, after such extensive rebuilding...and rebuilding.....and rebuilding.

I feel your pain, believe me.

I truly think you'll come to see Vargas' value is all.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hughes sucks and Johnson cant stay healthy

none of these three are anything more than a 3 or 4 on the rotation anyway. Ideally, we'd have a better 2 than Guthrie, but until we decide to spend more money, we'll have to wait until Duffy, Ventura or Zimmer prove they can handle it.

We arent making the playoffs anyway. Still too many holes in the lineup, and the bullpen cant be expected to repeat what they did last year.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you saw the Royals advertise their a "major announcement" as I did, then there is no doubt that Vargas was a major letdown.

After thinking about it, it didnt seem too bad. Calling it "major" was going a little overboard though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hughes sucks and Johnson cant stay healthy

none of these three are anything more than a 3 or 4 on the rotation anyway. Ideally, we'd have a better 2 than Guthrie, but until we decide to spend more money, we'll have to wait until Duffy, Ventura or Zimmer prove they can handle it.

We arent making the playoffs anyway. Still too many holes in the lineup, and the bullpen cant be expected to repeat what they did last year.

Well, yes, the idea of bringing in Hughes was a risk, given. I don't think it would be outlandish to suggest going from Yankee Stadium and playing ALEAST teams so frequently compared to playing at the K and behind the Royals' defense may do some good for him. But yes, it was obviously a gamble.

Johnson is a huge risk due to health, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot on a 1 year deal, and if he performs and we aren't contending? Deal him at the deadline for some prospects.

I absolutely agree with the bolded, there really shouldn't be any realistic expectation of playoffs until the pocketbook opens up and the pitchers develop. And that is before one mentions the offense being inept.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is we have a guy who will eat innings who will give you solid #4 production in all likelihood, the problem is that he will be the #2 which isn't really his fault so much as the Royals for failing to develop other pitchers (Montgomery, Dwyer, and others come to mind).

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlon Byrd actually played well this season and that contract isn't going to cripple the Phillies for years to come

lol, yeah, Byrd played well LAST season, another year older should really refine him...before that?....no, its only 2 years to come....this with a guy by the name of Howard on his team also, lol, you really want to talk about overpaying and years to come, lol

Shields could be traded THIS year at the trade deadline if Duffy and Ventura do what they should...Guthrie the year after that...

4 years is perfect...and Vargas, at least has a chance to replicate his best years for each year of the contract...Byrd will be lucky to match his AT Bats from this season.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, yeah, Byrd played well LAST season, another year older should really refine him...before that?....no, its only 2 years to come....this with a guy by the name of Howard on his team also, lol, you really want to talk about overpaying and years to come, lol

Shields could be traded THIS year at the trade deadline if Duffy and Ventura do what they should...Guthrie the year after that...

4 years is perfect...and Vargas, at least has a chance to replicate his best years for each year of the contract...Byrd will be lucky to match his AT Bats from this season.

I don't really think we are in a position to cast stones, but I would not be happy at all if I was a Philly fan. How in gods name is that GM not fired!?