• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 1 - Boston vs. Toronto

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard any takes other than the posts here, but this is what I saw, mostly with from a Leaf perspective:

• Toronto does not do well after several days off. Havent all year.
  • Basically the entire team sucked, including Anderson. They better step it up, and I do think they will be a different team Saturday
  • Kadri will get suspended. But as BBB said above, if Wingels doesnt cheap shot Marner, I doubt Kadri goes there (not an excuse by any means)
  • Not sure they will miss Kadri all that much.he has been streaky all year and he is not in a good streak right now
  • As every team says after getting a beatdown "it doesnt matter if you lose 1-0 or 7-0"
  • BOS looked good but not invincible. There was a long stretch where TOR was taking it to them
  • PP made all the difference in this one.
Finally

F Mike Milbury. Just F him. OMG he is the worst. I would rather watch the Punjabi version of HNIC then listen to his biased, uninformed and ignorant comments. Last night I was hoping Pierre would talk, just so I wouldnt have to listen to that walking douchenozzle. Watched the last 10 minutes in silence, thanks to that @$$clown.

And on to Game 2. . .

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Not sure they will miss Kadri all that much.he has been streaky all year and he is not in a good streak right now
It really depends on how Babcock re-jigs the lines. If he puts Willy at C and puts Johnsson up, cool (I want Johnsson in the lineup anyway). even Marleau at C isn't horrible.

If things happen and Matt Martin winds up in the lineup, and I could totally see Babs looking at last night and saying "where's the sandpaper?", we're done.

Also, don't care how much Babcock likes him, Polak is too slow for this matchup.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things happen and Matt Martin winds up in the lineup

I originally typed that just to tweak you, but deleted it. The biggest hole in this roster has been the relative lack of sandpaper, but Martin is not the answer. Evander Kane on the other hand. . . if if's and but's were candies and nuts...

I still think the Leafs can win this, but the entire lineup needs to play better. It was a team effort last night, so wont call out specific players, but I will say I really, really like Kapanen's game.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Leafs are pretty much fucked without Kadri so small fine? All good?

He did him dirty but, ya know, Wingels can suck it feeling the need to go second man in on a guy who's already getting crushed by a guy a foot taller than him.
But clean.

If you think that warranted what Kadri did then I think you are just attempting to rationalize the hit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But clean.

If you think that warranted what Kadri did then I think you are just attempting to rationalize the hit.
Going in with a high elbow on a guy in a vulnerable position is clean?

I'm not rationalizing anything. Kadri's a rat, rats do shit like this. It's just not something I feel particularly bad about.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this will get better as it goes on but the refereeing, overall, was atrocious. Forget that they weren't going to call shit on Wingels there, they missed Marchand going airborne on Matthews, they missed Kadri's knee-on-knee to Nash, they called Marleau right after that on some bullshit hooking that led to Boston's second goal, and I thought JVR's interference call in the first that gave Boston the lead off the first PP was weak. I don't know how they didn't see Marchand making out with Komarov's neck but that went on for a good while and should've been an unsportsmanlike.

Last edited:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kadri is not worth a first rounder :)

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt this will get better as it goes on but the refereeing, overall, was atrocious. Forget that they weren't going to call shit on Wingels there, they missed Marchand going airborne on Matthews, they missed Kadri's knee-on-knee to Nash, they called Marleau right after that on some bullshit hooking that led to Boston's second goal, and I'm pretty sure JVR's interference call in the first that gave I don't know how they didn't see Marchand making out with Komarov's neck but that went on for a good while and should've been an unsportsmanlike.

Yes, and it went both ways.

In the first, a BOS player nailed a Leaf into the boards from behind with a crosscheck and I said to the missus "that should be a penalty but if they arent going to call that play then be consistent and dont call any of them". And then Kadri did the same thing in the 3rd and got the penalty (just before the Wingels hit).

Inconsistent and atrocious.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did, multiple times on NBCSN. Freeze frame and everything.

Try the :56 second mark for one angle. The 1:05 shows the Marner hit even more clearly
Yeah again no elbow nice try. You're wrong end of story.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have two guys calling their own guy a rat and you're asking for objectivity?

:scratch:
Yes when they are trying to rationalize the hit. The elbow comes up after contact in an attempt to move the puck. The elbow is under the chin but not to the head.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes when they are trying to rationalize the hit. The elbow comes up after contact in an attempt to move the puck. The elbow is under the chin but not to the head.
1) Rationalize what hit? The Kadri one? The one we're both calling dirty?

2) If he wanted to move the puck, all he had to do was keep his stick down and pull it out after 6'9 Chara took 5'10 Marner out of the play. He wanted to get a hit in, and he made a bad hit.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Rationalize what hit? The Kadri one? The one we're both calling dirty?

2) If he wanted to move the puck, all he had to do was keep his stick down and pull it out after 6'9 Chara took 5'10 Marner out of the play. He wanted to get a hit in, and he made a bad hit.

^

This

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Leafs are pretty much fucked without Kadri so small fine? All good?

He did him dirty but, ya know, Wingels can suck it feeling the need to go second man in on a guy who's already getting crushed by a guy a foot taller than him.

This was the comment that IMO was trying to rationalize the hit and what spurred this part of the conversation. The Wingels hit while potentially questionable was a bang bang play, all players were fighting for the puck, the fact he was hit by Chara a second earlier has nothing to do with it. Kadri launched quite a bit different

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the comment that IMO was trying to rationalize the hit and what spurred this part of the conversation. The Wingels hit while potentially questionable was a bang bang play, all players were fighting for the puck, the fact he was hit by Chara a second earlier has nothing to do with it. Kadri launched quite a bit different
I didn't feel bad for the guy. Doesn't mean I'm rationalizing anything. I am far more upset at Kadri for costing the Leafs a key player for a game or two than I am that Wingels didn't get a penalty on the play. Marner wasn't hurt, it wasn't like the Leafs were scoring 3 unanswered with 10 to go in the 3rd, what the hell did I care?