• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, rock bottom to mediocrity would be a positive development. Not expecting these guys to win a title this season. Nice to see you actually happy for a win!
I'm still torn on "winning." This next draft class has some intriguing guys and might be loaded (potentially). That said, with Kobe gone I really enjoy watching the young guys cutting their teeth. I am hopeful they create a harmonious unit and a few years of free agency singings can create an elite NBA team.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to decide if it's time to give Jim Buss a break or not. While much of what we have seen over the past few years isn't his fault and was inevitable once Phil retired and the roster first got old and then had to be re-done without much of a way to do it, there was also plenty that was his fault (mainly coaching hires and gutting the training staff).

His mistakes have since been corrected and the Lakers have put together what appears to be a very good young core that looks to be on the right track.

I don't know if he has finally learned how to do his job or got smart enough to get the hell out of Mitch's way, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

I appreciate what you are saying: how bad can Buss be if the youngsters drafted are showing promise? Completely fair point. I'll reserve judgement on the youth until we see more.

However, I am a believer that organizations start from the top down. The top creates the culture and drive to win. Nobody did this better than Jerry Buss for nearly 40 years. However, it was whom Buss hired that ultimately won the day (Pat Riley, Jerry West, Kupcake etc).

An example of where Jim Buss confounds me was resigning Kobe Bryant when he had clearly maxed out his NBA mileage odometer and the injuries had taken their toll. The logic consensus was: regardless of whether or not he can still produce, you have to pay him for his loyalty. It was a "golden egg" contract for years of service. Furthermore, the logic was that other marquee free agents will take note of the Lakers' generosity in supporting a long tenured Laker and choose the Lakers as their next destination.

We all know the ladder was completely not true. Despite paying Kobe for years of service, marquee free agent after marquee free agent continued to rebuff the Lakers and in most instances in a humiliating pubic manner further eroding the Laker mystique. So, the approach failed on every level. Kobe provided ratings and nothing more. The Lakers could sign nobody unless they overpaid. And the Lakers' mystique was dragged through the mud. If this is the prevailing logic that Jim Buss utilizes on his day to day decisions, then the Lakers are in trouble with him at the helm.

Jim Buss has one job, carry the torch and maintain the brand. This requires trust in management that can properly run the team. He needs to untether himself from day to day operations, show up, kiss babies, shake hands and tell the public he's hiring the right guys for the job. I mean, he hired his former horse track handicapper buddy? I mean, he literally hired his gambling buddy. Wow. This guy is out of touch.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, I am a believer that organizations start from the top down. The top creates the culture and drive to win. Nobody did this better than Jerry Buss for nearly 40 years. However, it was whom Buss hired that ultimately won the day (Pat Riley, Jerry West, Kupcake etc).

Yeah, hiring Mike Brown was a mistake although an understandable one since the Lakers needed defense and that was supposed to be his specialty. Turns out, having Lebron was his specialty. Hiring D'Antoni when he (apparently) could have gotten Phil was a huge mistake. I'm not sure they would have won many more games with Phil, but Phil has credibility that D'Antoni never will. Apparently, Dr. Buss signed off on that one, but he was near the end of his life and may not have been in the best mind. That's one where Jim should have gone against his Dad.

Gutting the training staff was a bad idea as well. We saw how injury plagued the Lakers became.

An example of where Jim Buss confounds me was resigning Kobe Bryant when he had clearly maxed out his NBA mileage odometer and the injuries had taken their toll. The logic consensus was: regardless of whether or not he can still produce, you have to pay him for his loyalty. It was a "golden egg" contract for years of service. Furthermore, the logic was that other marquee free agents will take note of the Lakers' generosity in supporting a long tenured Laker and choose the Lakers as their next destination.

This was actually Jeanie's decision more than Jim's. Jeanie has said multiple times in interviews that because Magic had to retire suddenly because of contracting HIV, he never got the "send off" that he deserved. She said that she decided at that time that if the Lakers ever had the chance to honor a special player like that again, she would make sure they did so. That's why they gave Kobe the money they did.

We all know the ladder was completely not true. Despite paying Kobe for years of service, marquee free agent after marquee free agent continued to rebuff the Lakers and in most instances in a humiliating pubic manner further eroding the Laker mystique. So, the approach failed on every level. Kobe provided ratings and nothing more. The Lakers could sign nobody unless they overpaid. And the Lakers' mystique was dragged through the mud. If this is the prevailing logic that Jim Buss utilizes on his day to day decisions, then the Lakers are in trouble with him at the helm.

Yeah, the Lakers badly miscalculated on their ability to land an elite FA (they had the money available, even with Kobe's deal). They thought that playing with Kobe and then taking over as the face of the franchise would be enough. Turns out that with Kobe's injuries and inconsistent availability to play, it wasn't enough. He was no longer a guaranteed deep playoff run, so they didn't want to come to LA.

Jim Buss has one job, carry the torch and maintain the brand. This requires trust in management that can properly run the team. He needs to untether himself from day to day operations, show up, kiss babies, shake hands and tell the public he's hiring the right guys for the job. I mean, he hired his former horse track handicapper buddy? I mean, he literally hired his gambling buddy. Wow. This guy is out of touch.

Agree with this. Dr. Buss's best attribute was that he knew enough to know how much he didn't know. So, he hired the right people and let them do their jobs. With the young guys that the Lakers have drafted and the hiring of Luke Walton, it looks like he has at least gotten smart enough to let Mitch (as well respected a GM as there is in the league) do his job and he appears to have hired the right coach (or at least one that players want to play for).

I'm not saying that he and the Lakers are out of the woods yet. However, they at least appear to have found a trail that will get them out.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still torn on "winning." This next draft class has some intriguing guys and might be loaded (potentially). That said, with Kobe gone I really enjoy watching the young guys cutting their teeth. I am hopeful they create a harmonious unit and a few years of free agency singings can create an elite NBA team.

Definitely a better product to watch this season. I'm not sure that will lead to that many more wins this season. I think they'll have a decent chance to hold on to that top-3 protected pick again even if they reach the projected o/u number.