• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Ryan Mallet

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, he made a mental mistake. I've been swimming in frigid water since I was old enough to jump in. I was born in Maine and swam at local beaches where many people just couldn't walk into the water above their knees. If you don't understand tides and how they work, an undertow is totally out of your league. I was a stand in lifeguard when I was 16, 17, 18 at Willard Beach in South Portland, ME. In the middle of a 95 degree heat wave, the water at that beach never got above 55. Water 33 degrees colder than your normal bocy temp is one thing, hit that water with a surrounding 95 degree air temp and it's like jumping into an ice pond.

Too often people feel overconfident when they're in very warm water. It's relaxing and feels good. You think you can swim farther than you're actually able to. Some people have no idea that they've swam into a dropoff and can't touch the bottom and that's when panic sets in. Adrenalin rushed to the heart and your start to exert at much more furious pace and suddenly those muscles in your arms and legs become rigid with cramps.
Waht do you do? 95% of people have no idea and stop cold, instead of stretching as far as they can. They drop below the surace and instead of swimming back up to get air, they panic even more and inhale under water. You don't have any air to push the water back out.

Swimming is a learned skill. The more you do, the better you get at it. The ocean is not a pool. If you don't understand it, don't fuck with it.
I learned to swim in a pool!
It was a 600 feet granite quarry with cold clear water.
As was typical in the day, My dad through me in at 4 years old and said, "Swim!" I did.......

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or go to a lake ir a pond. Better yet, make a shitpot full of friends and install a swimming pool. Nothing like having twenty kids you've never seen before pissing in your $1000,000 investment.
Nope to pond. Nope to lake in florida.

When I was a kid dad put in a pond, big one, stocked it with channel cat and had sand hauled in for a beach. We used to swim in it all the time. This is in Illinois.

I took a girlfriend fishing down there, we were fishing right on the sand beach. She kept getting bites from small bluegill and reel them in and lose it right at the bank.
I started watching and saw the moccasin right there under water taking the fish off just off the bank. We killed one there a few days later, it was big and had a horrible stink to it.

Haven't went in the water at any pond since.

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned to swim in a pool!
It was a 600 feet granite quarry with cold clear water.
As was typical in the day, My dad through me in at 4 years old and said, "Swim!" I did.......
John Wayne was your dad?

Is your name Patrick?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta admit. This discussion woke up a lot of sleeping memories.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna be a lot more careful the next time I decide to take a dip at Flagler Beach. I ain't 37. I'm 73 and I know I can't swim like I used to.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, he made a mental mistake. I've been swimming in frigid water since I was old enough to jump in. I was born in Maine and swam at local beaches where many people just couldn't walk into the water above their knees. If you don't understand tides and how they work, an undertow is totally out of your league. I was a stand in lifeguard when I was 16, 17, 18 at Willard Beach in South Portland, ME. In the middle of a 95 degree heat wave, the water at that beach never got above 55. Water 33 degrees colder than your normal bocy temp is one thing, hit that water with a surrounding 95 degree air temp and it's like jumping into an ice pond.

Too often people feel overconfident when they're in very warm water. It's relaxing and feels good. You think you can swim farther than you're actually able to. Some people have no idea that they've swam into a dropoff and can't touch the bottom and that's when panic sets in. Adrenalin rushed to the heart and your start to exert at much more furious pace and suddenly those muscles in your arms and legs become rigid with cramps.
Waht do you do? 95% of people have no idea and stop cold, instead of stretching as far as they can. They drop below the surace and instead of swimming back up to get air, they panic even more and inhale under water. You don't have any air to push the water back out.

Swimming is a learned skill. The more you do, the better you get at it. The ocean is not a pool. If you don't understand it, don't fuck with it.
55 degrees is revisionist at best. Bar Harbor Maine, sure. Southern Maine, no way.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wells Beach some of the coldest water I remember as a kid.
Ever swim in north-eastern Maine waters? Few do. However, the southern Maine waters were still bone chilling at 62 to 65 degrees. Below that and you were not going in. BK was not swimming in 55 degree water.

A couple summers ago I was sailing in Casco Bay off Portland and at one point we anchored in 62 degree water. Me and the kids took turns diving off the boat and you could feel your lungs collapse a bit while swimming back to the boat, and that was just in and out.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever swim in north-eastern Maine waters? Few do. However, the southern Maine waters were still bone chilling at 62 to 65 degrees. Below that and you were not going in. BK was not swimming in 55 degree water.

A couple summers ago I was sailing in Casco Bay off Portland and at one point we anchored in 62 degree water. Me and the kids took turns diving off the boat and you could feel your lungs collapse a bit while swimming back to the boat, and that was just in and out.
Sissy.

Water temps at Lake Michigan today are 58 degrees. And it's been in the high 80s and 90s quite a bit recently. Go to any big beach here though and there's 1000s of people.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Today In Dillon Beach, California the water temperature is 49.6 degrees F

"The warmest ocean temperature in California today is 84.2°F (in Salton Sea),
and the coldest sea temperature is 49.6°F (Dillon Beach)."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know Casco Bay, I was born and raised in Ferry Village in South Portland just off the huge oil tank.

I swam across the bay six times from the time I was twelve until I was 18. I'd swim to the channel buoy, climb up on it for a few minutes and finshthe swim. Always had a quarter in my trunks. Catch the bus from Commercial St to the stop at Sawyer and High.

I also swim a half mile when I was 58 at Hampton Beach in NH. I remember the day exactly. April 28, 2008. Was anyone else in the water or on the water, Not even surfers in wet suits. The air temp was warm 72 degrees and some spots still had snow and ice.

I've been swimming in ice water from the time I was five. Don't tell me or anyone else that I've never swam in 55 degree water. I went through an ice flow in Casco Bay when I was stupid enough to walk across them. Lucky enough to be able to grab a friend's ankle and pull out after watching the ice start to pull together. You never do it twice.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know Casco Bay, I was born and raised in Ferry Village in South Portland just off the huge oil tank.

I swam across the bay six times from the time I was twelve until I was 18. I'd swim to the channel buoy, climb up on it for a few minutes and finshthe swim. Always had a quarter in my trunks. Catch the bus from Commercial St to the stop at Sawyer and High.

I also swim a half mile when I was 58 at Hampton Beach in NH. I remember the day exactly. April 28, 2008. Was anyone else in the water or on the water, Not even surfers in wet suits. The air temp was warm 72 degrees and some spots still had snow and ice.

I've been swimming in ice water from the time I was five. Don't tell me or anyone else that I've never swam in 55 degree water. I went through an ice flow in Casco Bay when I was stupid enough to walk across them. Lucky enough to be able to grab a friend's ankle and pull out after watching the ice start to pull together. You never do it twice.
That's what happens when you tell people the score of the home game you went to even though it was proven the game (in the same month of the same year that had the matching score score) was an away game. Your word isn't trusted. You probably went to a game around that period of time and looked up the wrong details to embellish what you remembered.

I grew up in Southern Maine too but tended to do my swimming in the Saco River. I swam at the beaches near Old Orchard which were warmer than Portland and Wells area beaches.

Despite some name calling from other posters, it's difficult to swim in water that cold,

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I'm not sure what the temps were back in the day, I just remember it being cooooollllldddd.

We had a summer cabin in Lewiston on the lake. Now that was like bath water. We occasionally go to Hampton Beach and I recall that water was chilly. I'd see my nephews lips turn purple but as kids didn't want to come out of the water. But those trips to Wells were awful. Could barely stand in the water for 5 minutes as I recall.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm not sure what the temps were back in the day, I just remember it being cooooollllldddd.

We had a summer cabin in Lewiston on the lake. Now that was like bath water. We occasionally go to Hampton Beach and I recall that water was chilly. I'd see my nephews lips turn purple but as kids didn't want to come out of the water. But those trips to Wells were awful. Could barely stand in the water for 5 minutes as I recall.
and your memory is good. We'd have family get togethers near Hampton too and only when waves would show up would I go in. The beauty of being a child, any wave seems good.