• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Ryan Mallet

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever swim in north-eastern Maine waters? Few do. However, the southern Maine waters were still bone chilling at 62 to 65 degrees. Below that and you were not going in. BK was not swimming in 55 degree water.

A couple summers ago I was sailing in Casco Bay off Portland and at one point we anchored in 62 degree water. Me and the kids took turns diving off the boat and you could feel your lungs collapse a bit while swimming back to the boat, and that was just in and out.
Hurricane Island Right off Vinalhaven. 36 degrees in July.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what happens when you tell people the score of the home game you went to even though it was proven the game (in the same month of the same year that had the matching score score) was an away game. Your word isn't trusted. You probably went to a game around that period of time and looked up the wrong details to embellish what you remembered.

I grew up in Southern Maine too but tended to do my swimming in the Saco River. I swam at the beaches near Old Orchard which were warmer than Portland and Wells area beaches.

Despite some name calling from other posters, it's difficult to swim in water that cold,
It is difficult to swim inwater that cold. I have done it.
If you read the bible, there are four gospels from 4 different people. Each gospel different.
These are observations from 4 different people, not surprising that their memories are different from each other.
I trust all 4 different gospels.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has reminded me of all of the worst 'cold water' episodes of my life.

Falling through ice floes was the worst.

Second was one of those, "The water was so cold it shrunk trying to get warm".