• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Monday Night Football: RAVENS/RAMS

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running QB is still generally a gimmick in today's NFL. It seems like a great idea until you realize your most important player is getting hit twenty times a game.

The most dangerous hit he took last night was to his legs in the pocket.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going for it all the time on 4th down is cheating. Ravens giving themselves 25% more downs to get a first down. Unfair advantage over their opponent. Many coaches and fans disapprove.
They do seem to have the perfect offense for that. It seems like other teams have to bring in some special 4th down offense in those situations but most of the plays they run would probably be a good bet to work on 4th and 5 or whatever.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Let's see what Belichick ccomes up with in January before we crown them. But they are pretty amazing to watch for sure. The Ravens are the only real threat to the Pats in the conference, imo. With all the Lamar stuff, people aren't realizing just how good that defense is too. And with a lot of young faces.

The key to beating Baltimore will be to get up early on them and make "THEM" play from behind. Right now the Raisins are dictating what other teams must do by going up 14 points in the 1st quarter.

Let's not forget that New England had settled things down a bit and were changing the momentum of their game until Edelman's unforced error led to a scoop and score by the Baltimore defense. Huge swing in that game and that was basically the end of it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to Lamar's credit his mobility is so high that when he is moving forward is able to avoid a lot of hits, too. Still....we aren't going to be talking about Lamar Jackson on the Ravens in 2025. The question becomes - how much is he going to win while you guys have him?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to beating Baltimore will be to get up early on them and make "THEM" play from behind. Right now the Raisins are dictating what other teams must do by going up 14 points in the 1st quarter.

Let's not forget that New England had settled things down a bit and were changing the momentum of their game until Edelman's unforced error led to a scoop and score by the Baltimore defense. Huge swing in that game and that was basically the end of it.

The first huge swing in that game was the muffed punt by the Ravens. Shit happens.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to Lamar's credit his mobility is so high that when he is moving forward is able to avoid a lot of hits, too. Still....we aren't going to be talking about Lamar Jackson on the Ravens in 2025. The question becomes - how much is he going to win while you guys have him?

Honestly...who knows how his game transitions in the future. Does he become Randall Cunningham-like later in his career? Does he settle down a bit like RW in the next couple of years? I'll tell you what though...I would bet on him rather than against him. He's a great kid and a tremendously hard worker.

I'm just going to enjoy watching him (and this team) while I can.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do seem to have the perfect offense for that. It seems like other teams have to bring in some special 4th down offense in those situations but most of the plays they run would probably be a good bet to work on 4th and 5 or whatever.

Even if the Ravens are the best at it, every team should be doing it. Every NFL team has several plays designed to get 5 yards. Once you get past midfield, punting or kicking a FG on 4th and short or 4th and medium is passing up on too many potential points. The 30 or so yards of field position you get on a punt doesn't seem worth it.

But of course, I'm for kicking FG's in late game situations when you need one to tie or win. However, there are situations where it's better to pass up on that late game FG and go for it instead.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They dictate because they're aggressive. They take the lead early because they're aggressive. It will be interesting to see if any team can come up with a winning game plan against them this season. Otherwise, they are the champs. Pats getting home field advantage will help, and if anyone has the best chance of solving this puzzle, it's Bill.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Ravens are the best at it, every team should be doing it. Every NFL team has several plays designed to get 5 yards. Once you get past midfield, punting or kicking a FG on 4th and short or 4th and medium is passing up on too many potential points. The 30 or so yards of field position you get on a punt doesn't seem worth it.

But of course, I'm for kicking FG's in late game situations when you need one to tie or win. However, there are situations where it's better to pass up on that late game FG and go for it instead.
I agree. You see more coaches doing it now but there are still a lot of times when they do things that don't seem optimal to me.
Like that Bears Rams game last Sunday night they seemed to be making decisions on a whim, especially in the first half. The Bears had 4 and 7 on the 30 and missed a field goal. Then they had 4th and 9 on the 31 and went for it and missed. Then they had 4th and 6 on the 29 and tried another field goal. Then in the 2nd quarter the Rams had 4th and 1 at the Bears 20 and kicked a field goal.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. You see more coaches doing it now but there are still a lot of times when they do things that don't seem optimal to me.
Like that Bears Rams game last Sunday night they seemed to be making decisions on a whim, especially in the first half. The Bears had 4 and 7 on the 30 and missed a field goal. Then they had 4th and 9 on the 31 and went for it and missed. Then they had 4th and 6 on the 29 and tried another field goal. Then in the 2nd quarter the Rams had 4th and 1 at the Bears 20 and kicked a field goal.

NFL coaches, for the most part, are behind the curve on 4th down thinking. You see ridiculous decisions like that all the time because NFL coaches are making those kind of decisions all the time. LOL.

I didn't know until last night that Harbaugh has an analytics guy that he consults with the whole game. I was naive and thought that Harbaugh became a genius in the offseason.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last night, sure. You only have to look as far as your backup QB for the ultimate reality of the situation. Or, look to Carolina and the much bigger (and built to take a hit) Cam Newton. You know, the former MVP that may be out of a job in his so-called prime?

That said, I think Lamar has the passing talent to be more of a mobile pocket passer. Relying on the RPO stuff should eventually grow into a more sophisticated offense.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night, sure. You only have to look as far as your backup QB for the ultimate reality of the situation. Or, look to Carolina and the much bigger (and built to take a hit) Cam Newton. You know, the former MVP that may be out of a job in his so-called prime?

That said, I think Lamar has the passing talent to be more of a mobile pocket passer. Relying on the RPO stuff should eventually grow into a more sophisticated offense.

I thought RG3 hurt his knee because the Redskins' field is garbage. And it was while droping back as if to pass, IIRC. I think I was watching a playoff game between the Redskins and Falcons. I could be wrong, though, as I'm starting to get old.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar Jackson is clearly the MVP at this point.

But he took some pretty vicious shots. That can't last long in this league.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he thrives on continually hearing what he can't do.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As long as he can be smart about going out of bounds, he'll probably be alright. In a couple seasons, he'll probably be sliding, too. Youthful exuberance right now.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he thrives on continually hearing what he can't do.

RG3 also walked on water his first few games. How did that work out?

I'm not dismissing LJ's talent, skills, etc., but at some point he needs to start sliding at the end of those runs where its clear he's going to be hit.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 also walked on water his first few games. How did that work out?

I'm not dismissing LJ's talent, skills, etc., but at some point he needs to start sliding at the end of those runs where its clear he's going to be hit.

It's actually been rare instances this year where he takes hard hits. His worst hits, by far, have come in the pocket.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually been rare instances this year where he takes hard hits. His worst hits, by far, have come in the pocket.

I watched the video of RG3's injury. He got injured in the pocket while bending down to pick up a bad snap. No one hit him. He was playing with a sprained knee. I don't remember (or never knew) how RG3 sprained his knee. Just sit Lamar if he has a sprained knee. I think the poor quality of the Redskins' field might also have been a factor.