• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers vs. Astros 5/12-5/14

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would copy/paste the article...but that's alot of words. lol
In fact, its over 14k characters - and the board limit is 10k.

Yeah....I had thought about pasting some of it, but couldn't find a way to make it make sense if I started deleting.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would two separate posts work?

Yeah it would. But honestly, it's gonna take up 2 pages of post on here.

I'll do it in 3 if you're that interested. I didn't want to be obnoxious and just assume everyone would have a high interest level and then take up so much room.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since when is Holland "injury prone"?!? :L

Funny....how did that rotation look last season? Here - I'll do the research for ya.

Holland - 33 starts
Darvish - 32 starts
Perez - 19 starts (20 if you include game 163)
Ogando - 18 starts
Tepesch - 17 starts
Grimm - 17 starts
Garza - 13 starts
Lindblom - 5 starts
Blackley - 3 starts
Wolf - 3 starts
Harrison - 2 starts

But apparently we cant win with the way the rotation is now.
(eventhough the main person we lost from last year's rotation compared to now is Perez. And he was out the 1st bit with a broken wrist.)

\

....any time a pitcher is lost for half of a season, when he comes back i consider him to be injury prone. Matt Harrison was lost all year last year, but was pretty study prior to that. Would you not say he was injury prone coming back? Well... clearly he was.

You took all the time to look up the rotation from last season...WE DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LAST YEAR IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. So why are you citing the examples as if it was fantastic? We literally only have ONE of those people who started last year now. Just one. (I guess now we have Tep, but regulars) It's even worse then last year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are several things from the Olney article which struck me: (1) How much time the Yankees spent studying this guy. (2) The number of pitches he can throw. (3) He's a fierce competitor.

Some on here are always talking about his lack of pitches, and according to this article - McCann included - he can throw a dozen different pitches for strikes. Sounded a whole lot like a guy named Darvish.

We'll see of course. And the Yanks have invested a boat load in him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got slapped around for being a negative Nancy, glass-half-empty, pessimistic, fair weather fan by some here yesterday. Undeservedly so IMO.

I've gone back and looked at my post, and I've gotta admit, they weren't inspiring. But I've stuck with this team through thick & thin for damn near 35 years, and let me tell you for a fact, they were more thin, than thick.

When I see a rotation of Yu, Lewis, Ross/Sanders, Tepesch, Martinez for about half a season, it doesn't inspire my confidence for a playoff type team.....that's all I was saying. Or trying to say anyway.

I consider myself a realist - not overtly pessimistic nor optimistic - and stand by my own assessment.

Start lobbing again if mood strikes.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say 1/2 dozen pitches regarding the Olney article. My bad, sorry.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got slapped around for being a negative Nancy, glass-half-empty, pessimistic, fair weather fan by some here yesterday. Undeservedly so IMO.

I've gone back and looked at my post, and I've gotta admit, they weren't inspiring. But I've stuck with this team through thick & thin for damn near 35 years, and let me tell you for a fact, they were more thin, than thick.

When I see a rotation of Yu, Lewis, Ross/Sanders, Tepesch, Martinez for about half a season, it doesn't inspire my confidence for a playoff type team.....that's all I was saying. Or trying to say anyway.

I consider myself a realist - not overtly pessimistic nor optimistic - and stand by my own assessment.

I wonder if that rotation would be as bad if the offense would do the job expected? A few runs could make a winner out of these pitchers. Who knows? How far could we go? Don't know but I do know without a better offense we are not going to win many games period. Now that is realistic.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't speak for anyone else here, but when the offense isn't even close to what people thought it was going to be and the pitchers keep dropping like flies with no sign of relief on the horizon, there is no other way to view things but negatively. I've never seen a team experience so much bad luck.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that rotation would be as bad if the offense would do the job expected? A few runs could make a winner out of these pitchers. Who knows? How far could we go? Don't know but I do know without a better offense we are not going to win many games period. Now that is realistic.

:laugh3:....the voice of sanity is here. Thank you sir.

And when in the hell is that fish fry?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't speak for anyone else here, but when the offense isn't even close to what people thought it was going to be and the pitchers keep dropping like flies with no sign of relief on the horizon, there is no other way to view things but negatively. I've never seen a team experience so much bad luck.
Why don't you think about getting a new hitting coach and work out some problems? That would be a positive. Start hitting and score some runs and some of these pitchers are good enough to win with more runs. That's a positive. Holland is coming back and that's a positive. Soto is coming back and that's a positive. Why don't you see anything but negative? :L

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you think about getting a new hitting coach and work out some problems? That would be a positive. Start hitting and score some runs and some of these pitchers are good enough to win with more runs. That's a positive. Holland is coming back and that's a positive. Soto is coming back and that's a positive. Why don't you see anything but negative? :L

Damn DT....take it easy partner.

OK....forget the fish fry. I take it back.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

any somewhat long term Texas Ranger baseball fan understands the thin years outweigh the thick years. I also pride myself as a realist, 162 game season is just that. Let's see this play out through July and then determine if the all is lost for the season thought process is valid.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn DT....take it easy partner.

OK....forget the fish fry. I take it back.
Notice who I was talking to. Always negative not just about this subject. I agree we have problems. A wise man once said," keep on doing what you've always done and you'll keep on getting what you've always got". Changes need to happen to compensate for some things. Notably lack of offense.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kidding aside, I thought we did touch on something yesterday, which is a huge positive: Let's not rush things. Like force feeding Holland/Soto back too fast. Let em heal, rehab, and then bring along slowly.

And I do feel very good about Tepesch being in the rotation long term. I see some similarilties between him and Perez - from an approach standpoint - and thinks this is a very good sign.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any somewhat long term Texas Ranger baseball fan understands the thin years outweigh the thick years. I also pride myself as a realist, 162 game season is just that. Let's see this play out through July and then determine if the all is lost for the season thought process is valid.

I kinda/sorta thought that's what I said.

But again, I'll admit, the wind was in my face yesterday. I was cursing at the baseball God's for dealing us such a shitty hand; or is that elbow/back? haha

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda/sorta thought that's what I said.

But again, I'll admit, the wind was in my face yesterday. I was cursing at the baseball God's for dealing us such a shitty hand; or is that elbow/back? haha

"When I see a rotation of Yu, Lewis, Ross/Sanders, Tepesch, Martinez for about half a season, it doesn't inspire my confidence for a playoff type team.....that's all I was saying. Or trying to say anyway"

Perhaps you did but you still somewhat come to conclusions today.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice who I was talking to. Always negative not just about this subject. I agree we have problems. A wise man once said," keep on doing what you've always done and you'll keep on getting what you've always got". Changes need to happen to compensate for some things. Notably lack of offense.

Interesting point - good one too - about the offense; lack of actually.

Not negatively speaking, just from an observation standpoint: We've big time hitched our wagon financially to our SS & 1st baseman for the better part of a decade. And I really feel Prince is going to be fine; maybe not great but acceptable. My concern is EA. Screw a bunch of power. Just hit .265, doubles power, play rock solid D and I'll take it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point - good one too - about the offense; lack of actually.

Not negatively speaking, just from an observation standpoint: We've big time hitched our wagon financially to our SS & 1st baseman for the better part of a decade. And I really feel Prince is going to be fine; maybe not great but acceptable. My concern is EA. Screw a bunch of power. Just hit .265, doubles power, play rock solid D and I'll take it.
EA is a problem right now especially in the two hole. Taking to many 3rd strikes, showing bunt with no intent and taking strikes are just a few little things that need to be addressed and someone needs to step up and be responsible. All these little things may help a little. But for sure if nothing is done, nothing will change.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understandable opinions will vary but, Elvis is the least of our problems when I look at this team today, tomorrow, or the foreseeable future.

this is where I'd typically throw in a smart ass response but I wouldn't want to upset the masses here.