• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers vs. Astros 5/12-5/14

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EA is a problem right now especially in the two hole. Taking to many 3rd strikes, showing bunt with no intent and taking strikes are just a few little things that need to be addressed and someone needs to step up and be responsible. All these little things may help a little. But for sure if nothing is done, nothing will change.
Not directly aimed at EA AFTER THE TWO HOLE COMMENT.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know tanaka is doing great right now, but im sorry he hasnt convinced me yet. It's gonna take multiple seasons to convince me. I always said the same thing. Japanese pitchers usually do decent the first 2 seasons, but then when they are fully converting to american ball and players adjust, their luck changes.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understandable opinions will vary but, Elvis is the least of our problems when I look at this team today, tomorrow, or the foreseeable future.

IMO, the biggest issue isnt even the pitching staff. Its the offense as a whole.
Even with the blow to the pitching staff yesterday - I'm still more concerned about the offense.
As Yu showed us last year - you can pitch GREAT and still lose 1-0 b/c the offense sucks.

And its been that way for a couple years now.

This offense needs to find its stride. And quickly.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know tanaka is doing great right now, but im sorry he hasnt convinced me yet. It's gonna take multiple seasons to convince me. I always said the same thing. Japanese pitchers usually do decent the first 2 seasons, but then when they are fully converting to american ball and players adjust, their luck changes.

So what's your take on us attempting to sign Yu long term in this off season? This is season 3 for him.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season hasn't been kind to Rangers health

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the biggest issue isnt even the pitching staff. Its the offense as a whole.
Even with the blow to the pitching staff yesterday - I'm still more concerned about the offense.
As Yu showed us last year - you can pitch GREAT and still lose 1-0 b/c the offense sucks.

And its been that way for a couple years now.

This offense needs to find its stride. And quickly.
Been saying the same thing concerning the offense. Without it the pitching doesn't have to be lights out.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your take on us attempting to sign Yu long term in this off season? This is season 3 for him.

i think yu had more of a chance to be successful from the onset. So yes, I think we should resign him. Tanaka is small, and doesn't have good plane on his pitches. No one is used to him yet, but once they are I'm almost positive they're gonna start lifting the ball much better. He has decent stuff and an outstanding splitter, but there aren't that many starters that have one fantastic outpitch for several years in a row. Usually, offenses adjust and they are forced to either reinvent themselves or emphasize a different pitch. From what I've seen, his other off speed pitches aren't strong enough to rely on.

Yu, on the other hand, gets fantastic plane on his fastball (as well as throws it harder) and he has multiple out pitches, the best of which being his slider. It helps that he's tall and is able to stay over the rubber, but I'd try to resign him. He is literally my only exception in my japanese statement. A splitter isn't a traditional american pitch. When someone has a fantastic one, like a valverde, tanaka, kuroda, it takes a while to get used to, hence the high strikeout rates. His strikeout rate was significantly lower in japan (im talking like 3 k's/9 lower) because they were used to it, so he had to rely on keeping the ball on the ground more for their contact hitters. But, in the united states, offense is different. Its much more reliant on power instead of speed. They will stay in the box, see the flat fastball and try to elevate it. Which is why Tanaka worried me from the get go.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So afraid of that. Wish that young man the best.

For me, this is good news. I didn't want the attempted rest, rehab and it take 10+ weeks only to find out he needs the not-so-dreaded TJ surgery anyway. Go ahead and get the surgery and let's bite the bullet.

He'll be back, and better than ever.

God Speed young man.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, this is good news. I didn't want the attempted rest, rehab and it take 10+ weeks only to find out he needs the not-so-dreaded TJ surgery anyway. Go ahead and get the surgery and let's bite the bullet.

He'll be back, and better than ever.

God Speed young man.
Yep. It was inevitable. Have it done now and be that #2 pitcher in 2015. Still like his future. But they got to find a better way to prepare pitchers at an early age to avoid this.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"When I see a rotation of Yu, Lewis, Ross/Sanders, Tepesch, Martinez for about half a season, it doesn't inspire my confidence for a playoff type team.....that's all I was saying. Or trying to say anyway"

Perhaps you did but you still somewhat come to conclusions today.

Perhaps you should re-read the post. "That's all I WAS saying" in direction reference to yesterday. As in past tense.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It was inevitable. Have it done now and be that #2 pitcher in 2015. Still like his future. But they got to find a better way to prepare pitchers at an early age to avoid this.

I wonder if it isn't a combination of several factors. One, are they throwing too many pitches at an early age? If this is a part of the process, then the kids coming from certain cultures are going to be predisposed. Sad and unfortunate, but true. Second, is the splitter, slider, etc. part of the problem?

Surely baseball's best interest is to do some intensive research, don't ya think?

The number of young arms going down is alarming. And let's not ever forget, this is a business, and it makes good business sense to keep your stars upright and entertaining.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:

Unbelievable, I wonder if there are any stats on how many Starters (and position players) went down in one season?

Actually "Unbelievable" doesn't even do this mess justice
Good to see you here. Missed ya.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is an incorrect generalization about SP that come over from Japan. I agree that you should wait a few seasons to see if he is the real deal, but don't you think that applies to all up and coming pitchers with hype behind them. I mean it is pretty difficult for all SP to sustain their early success, not to mention any sort of prolonged success. This is not something that is unique to players just coming over from Japan.

Also, there really isn't all that much data on SP coming over from Japan, because there really has not been that many come over to gather many meaningful statistics. Especially when you compare it to data of SP coming up from farm systems and other professional leagues. I mean I feel like I can say with confidence that the success rate of SP coming from Japan's league is higher than those coming up from the minors. Although, that may not be a fair comparison b/c many consider the Japanese leagues a little more advanced than say AAA. I bet even if you compared to their numbers to other SP coming in from other international leagues or even top SP prospects after they have settled in- you would likely see a lot of simulates in raw performance averages.

I guess the point I am really trying to make is its pretty tough to stay constantly good over a sustained period for any MLB SP, not just ones that come over from Japan's leagues. There is only a select few that can really do this, no matter what league they come from. I think it has a lot more with a special type of talent and knowledge of the game than it does what league you in come from.