• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since there's little trading that affects TEX directly ... thought I'd include the Bleacher Report grading of the OAK (Green) for LAA (Callaspo) trade.

Grading Los Angeles Angels-Oakland A's Trade Sending Alberto Callaspo to Oakland | Bleacher Report

Was surprised to see OAK acquire him thinking he was basically a 3bman ... now see that back in his KCR days he was predominantly a 2b. From a TEX perspective I don't see him that much of a difference maker upgrade over Sogard. He got in the game late last evening that OAK lost to TOR so must not have gotten out of DFW leaving the LAA roster until it was too late.

IMO his departure has made LAA weaker and Green eventually will displace Kendrick but this is definitely not a big deal.

Think LAA is going to have long term pitching woes without a strong system and pitching oriented draft/scouting. Living here in Central Arkansas am totally unimpressed now for two years with LAA pitching prospects that have come through here.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there's little trading that affects TEX directly ... thought I'd include the Bleacher Report grading of the OAK (Green) for LAA (Callaspo) trade.

Grading Los Angeles Angels-Oakland A's Trade Sending Alberto Callaspo to Oakland | Bleacher Report

Was surprised to see OAK acquire him thinking he was basically a 3bman ... now see that back in his KCR days he was predominantly a 2b. From a TEX perspective I don't see him that much of a difference maker upgrade over Sogard. He got in the game late last evening that OAK lost to TOR so must not have gotten out of DFW leaving the LAA roster until it was too late.

IMO his departure has made LAA weaker and Green eventually will displace Kendrick but this is definitely not a big deal.

Think LAA is going to have long term pitching woes without a strong system and pitching oriented draft/scouting. Living here in Central Arkansas am totally unimpressed now for two years with LAA pitching prospects that have come through here.

I think billy Beane sees magic in callaspo. (Sarcasm)

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been pretty unimpressed with his ability to get the most from his guys at times over the last 2 years. Anybody can be a cheerleader. We need a manager who does what is best for the team. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You may be right. He's also had two closed door meetings this year and each time this team came out and played inspired baseball with the results.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right. He's also had two closed door meetings this year and each time this team came out and played inspired baseball with the results.

That's one reason I'm not totally ranting on him right now. He has gotten a positive change twice this season. Hopefully it's a lasting change because if not that doesn't do much good.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one reason I'm not totally ranting on him right now. He has gotten a positive change twice this season. Hopefully it's a lasting change because if not that doesn't do much good.

We will see how effective that last team meeting was when we play real teams like ARI and OAK. Last night there were signs of the bad ways when we were not scoring off of Williams with plenty of chances to do so. Don't want to be a downer, but three games taking walk offs to win against a pitching staff struggling this year is not proof enough they turned it around. Yeah I know, even though the Angels pitching stinks but they still have a dangerous lineup does matter and our pitchers did a good job. But the key hits were coming too late and we used too much of our BP in the process. Again, great wins, proud to be a Rangers fans with such emotional wins, but are the "bad ways" really past us? Will we wake up with a "hangover" tomorrow after playing ARI? Time will tell.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so at the end of this brief discussion....what exactly did you take issue with regarding my post?

whittler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back to Fundamentals, Rangers are Very Shaky, mistakes on the basepaths( 3 outs last night). Flubbed rundown, (lead to 4 runs)
Winning teams don't beat themselves. (A's). Losing teams rarely Overcome mistakes, (Angel's)
Ranger's somewhere in the Middle:gaah:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so at the end of this brief discussion....what exactly did you take issue with regarding my post?

Just saying I don't regard him nearly as highly a you and some others so.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think billy Beane sees magic in callaspo. (Sarcasm)

Strange to me for OAK to send Green away when he's had a superior season ... .325/.379/.500/ .879 for Sacramento ... when they only gave him 15ABs at OAK before giving up on him ... and trading him for 30yo Callaspo.

Seems very unlike OAK. Green to me seems to be a very strong prospect (#1 2009, OAK 2012 #4 prospect overall) to be giving up on after only 15ABs in 5 games in July.

OR ... OAK is more in a panic to upgrade (only marginally) at 2b for the 2013 stretch run.

This would have been analogous to TEX trading Joey Gallo for Callaspo. Makes no sense to me. OAK must be in a panic. Grant Green now shows up as LAA's #3 prospect overall. Strange trade. Someone is overvalueing Callaspo IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying I don't regard him nearly as highly a you and some others so.

"That's the funny part for me. I slam my head against the wall many times with his line ups and in games decisions BUT the man most likely brings the most important aspect to being a professional baseball manager..........Players Manager and players love the man"

sure.....I'm clearly a "Washington Man"

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange to me for OAK to send Green away when he's had a superior season ... .325/.379/.500/ .879 for Sacramento ... when they only gave him 15ABs at OAK before giving up on him ... and trading him for 30yo Callaspo.

Seems very unlike OAK. Green to me seems to be a very strong prospect (#1 2009, OAK 2012 #4 prospect overall) to be giving up on after only 15ABs in 5 games in July.

OR ... OAK is more in a panic to upgrade (only marginally) at 2b for the 2013 stretch run.

This would have been analogous to TEX trading Joey Gallo for Callaspo. Makes no sense to me. OAK must be in a panic. Grant Green now shows up as LAA's #3 prospect overall. Strange trade. Someone is overvalueing Callaspo IMO.

I've read that Green doesn't really have a position. Horrible foot work for middle infielder and a project for 3rd.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've read that Green doesn't really have a position. Horrible foot work for middle infielder and a project for 3rd.

Could be. Had 70Ks in 378ABs at Sacramento this year ... versus only 75 in 584ABs last year. OAK (Sacarmento) only worked him at 2b this year ... last year 2d, SS and 3b plus OF. How does a guy get to that level as your #4 prospect without a position?

With his bat you'd think someone in the OAK system would have been able to get him to be at least a competent 2d baseman.

Only reason I'm dwelling on this move is that Callaspo for me does not amount to much of an upgrade over Sogard ... so why would they make that move unless they are having issues elsewhere (Donaldson or Donaldson's backup?).

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be. Had 70Ks in 378ABs at Sacramento this year ... versus only 75 in 584ABs last year. OAK (Sacarmento) only worked him at 2b this year ... last year 2d, SS and 3b plus OF. How does a guy get to that level as your #4 prospect without a position?

With his bat you'd think someone in the OAK system would have been able to get him to be at least a competent 2d baseman.

Only reason I'm dwelling on this move is that Callaspo for me does not amount to much of an upgrade over Sogard ... so why would they make that move unless they are having issues elsewhere (Donaldson or Donaldson's backup?).

Yeah it doesn't make sense to give up that decent of a prospect who could be better than callaspo

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah it doesn't make sense to give up that decent of a prospect who could be better than callaspo

Looking at OAK roster ... they got nobody on their 40man other than Donaldson and Andy Parrino (AAA) who play 3b. Donaldson has had only 2 games off this year Parrino played one game for him in April and Adam Rosales (DFA'd to make room for Callaspo) played one game in June.

Donaldson may be wearing down. Maybe that's why they got Callaspo even though he's not much better offensively than Sogard ... although I believe Sogard to be better defensively. So its really Callaspo is better than Rosales.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at OAK roster ... they got nobody on their 40man other than Donaldson and Andy Parrino (AAA) who play 3b. Donaldson has had only 2 games off this year Parrino played one game for him in April and Adam Rosales (DFA'd to make room for Callaspo) played one game in June.

Donaldson may be wearing down. Maybe that's why they got Callaspo even though he's not much better offensively than Sogard ... although I believe Sogard to be better defensively. So its really Callaspo is better than Rosales.

Exactly, brought in to platoon with Sogard at 2B, provide a minimal upgrade to Rosales as a UTIL guy, but the key was a backup to Donaldson at 3B, pretty much hit the nail on the head

All in all, though he hasn't been much of an upgrade to Rosales offensively this year, I think he's deemed to be a superior hit overall to Rosales, just hasn't been, so far, this year

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly, brought in to platoon with Sogard at 2B, provide a minimal upgrade to Rosales as a UTIL guy, but the key was a backup to Donaldson at 3B, pretty much hit the nail on the head

All in all, though he hasn't been much of an upgrade to Rosales offensively this year, I think he's deemed to be a superior hit overall to Rosales, just hasn't been, so far, this year

Thanks. Appreciate the confirmation. Still very telling that OAK would spend its #4 prospect on a 2-position UIF. Sogard is the b/up SS still.