• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rangers trade thoughts........

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe what you want, the numbers don't support you

Whatever, seeing as how AVG, SLG and OBP are exactly the same for the two players, the only difference is, statistically speaking Rios would have an RBI every 2.08 games and a HR every 9.05 games whereas Murphy would have an RBI every 2.29 games and a HR every 9.61 games. Not enough difference to warrant this discussion. I will drop it now. And BTW, I'm not a huge Murphy fan or anything. I think you missed the point completely.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Lee on waivers again (not that we would want him).

Here's one last bit of deadline info I got: Last night at around 6 we were heavily involved with the blue jays to get bautista. Rangers would've traded Profar, Alfaro, Luke Jackson, and one lesser prospect (assuming this is Ryan Rua). The trade was actually close. Then for some reason the Blue Jays backed out and told JD that they just couldn't do it and tried to trade us encarnacion for the same players instead. We didn't want to do that, so the trade fell through. We asked them at least 2 more times today to reconsider, but they didn't. We also talked to the Rockies and one other team about a 3 team trade with us getting Cargo and losing Profar, E. Beltre, plus more prospects. This trade wasn't very close though, it was just a discussion. Then at around noon today we had preliminary talks to Miami about Stanton. Miami said this morning they were "willing to listen" on him. We talked to them about sending Profar, Perez, and some others. I don't have much more on this other than Miami wanted one major league ready outfielder in return. So it didn't work out. It was at this point where JD stopped going after the really big bats. In the last 20 minutes he made a late push at Hunter Pence and Michael Morse. Obviously these didn't work out either. He had an extremely busy day. The man tried his best, but it was just one of those years. We'll be big players this offseason I'm sure.

Hope this interests some. I know it was after the fact, but I guess its a testament at the type of day our GM has had
Honestly, I would have preferred Edwin over Bautista. But I'm glad this fell through....too much given up..

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I would have preferred Edwin over Bautista. But I'm glad this fell through....too much given up..
I was just looking up Encarnacion on Baseball Reference. Do you know Rangers originally drafted him in the 9th round in 2000? Rats....

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammittman, i wouldn't take hamiliton back for your pay. And murphy just plain sucks this year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think guys like Morse can be had after the deadline through waiver claims/trades. Glad we didn't give that rumored packaged for bautista, agree AA must have been high as a kite or worried about some pictures to not jump all over that trade. As for the Miami wanting a ML ready OF, we have plenty to offer. Anyone but Martin I'd imagine.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think guys like Morse can be had after the deadline through waiver claims/trades. Glad we didn't give that rumored packaged for bautista, agree AA must have been high as a kite or worried about some pictures to not jump all over that trade. As for the Miami wanting a ML ready OF, we have plenty to offer. Anyone but Martin I'd imagine.

I'd expect guys like Morse and Willingham to be checked on now. Willingham is kind of another Napoli.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would they want a ML ready OFer, they already have young guys like Yelich, Marisnick and Ozua... makes no sense, ML ready 3B/1B and pitching sure, but they were looking for excuses not to deal, Loria trying to have one marketable name to keep butts in the seats

Keep in mind I was never in favor of a trade for Stanton, but their rationale makes no sense

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd expect guys like Morse and Willingham to be checked on now. Willingham is kind of another Napoli.

Mike Morse could be interesting, RH hitter, can play 1B and OF, probably pretty cheap, FA after the year, so no long term commitment

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Rios career numbers:
AVG: 278 HR: 155 RBI 676 SLG: 443 OBP :324
Murphy career numbers
AVG: 277 HR: 84 RBI 352 SLG: 443 OBP :339
Pretty damn close with the exception of total HR's and total RBIs, and you have to put that in perspective.
Rios: 1404 total games played
Murphy 808 total games played.

Career numbers are pretty irrelevant in predicting what someone will hit for the rest of the season. Not even interested in season output. Far more relevant is last 30-60 day production.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would they want a ML ready OFer, they already have young guys like Yelich, Marisnick and Ozua... makes no sense, ML ready 3B/1B and pitching sure, but they were looking for excuses not to deal, Loria trying to have one marketable name to keep butts in the seats

Keep in mind I was never in favor of a trade for Stanton, but their rationale makes no sense

^^^ me neither

Other than assuming Cruz is on the restricted list and his 25man spot is available ... who else's spot is vulnerable to make room for Morse?

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually rather have bautista over edwin

What would make you rather have Bautista?

Encarnacion has been more productive the last 2 season, is 2 years younger, and cheaper

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, in my original post, I was thinking Murphy was around 240 this year, I had not gone and looked up exact numbers until you provided yours. My point was that statistically Murphy is as good of a player as a player like Rios and that we should not have given up anything substantial to obtain such a player, which we didnt. And Murphy HAS been giving some indication that he may be coming out of his slump and playing more like we grew accustomed to him playing in years past.

I like Murph, I really do. A great Christian gentlemen. However, I don't see signs of him coming out of his season long slump...yet. His last ten games his average is .143 with one RBI, one BB, and 6 K's. I don't see that as a sign of coming out of a slump

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would make you rather have Bautista?

Encarnacion has been more productive the last 2 season, is 2 years younger, and cheaper

He doesn't hurt you on defense that's why. But Edwin is hitting better though

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Murph, I really do. A great Christian gentlemen. However, I don't see signs of him coming out of his season long slump...yet. His last ten games his average is .143 with one RBI, one BB, and 6 K's. I don't see that as a sign of coming out of a slump

We all see it except the one guy that matters. I'm just tired of having a manger who hurts his team with this stuff.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all see it except the one guy that matters. I'm just tired of having a manger who hurts his team with this stuff.

That's the funny part for me. I slam my head against the wall many times with his line ups and in games decisions BUT the man most likely brings the most important aspect to being a professional baseball manager..........Players Manager and players love the man. That's not cause he sticks with his vets, it's mostly because he is straight from the start with each player. Not many I'd trade him for

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the funny part for me. I slam my head against the wall many times with his line ups and in games decisions BUT the man most likely brings the most important aspect to being a professional baseball manager..........Players Manager and players love the man. That's not cause he sticks with his vets, it's mostly because he is straight from the start with each player. Not many I'd trade him for

I've been pretty unimpressed with his ability to get the most from his guys at times over the last 2 years. Anybody can be a cheerleader. We need a manager who does what is best for the team. We'll just have to agree to disagree.