• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 21, Titans 28-Sixth Loss

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game was about the continued behavior of this franchise to find ways to lose a game that has not changed in a decade. They simply are not comfortable with winning football games for any length of time during a season and instead of playing to win they find a way to lose. In this addition, when the Rams were doing things fairly well, they had to screw it all up with a completely insane set of offensive plays that led to Clemens fumbling the football away deep in our end of the field combined with a defense that just could not stop the run.

On offense. The positives. Kellen Clemens actually played the majority of this game quite well. He managed the game with running the ball and then passed within his comfort zone. He finished the day going 20/25 with 1 TD to Jake Locker's 13/22 for 185 yards and 2 TDS. Except for the worst time to fumble, he threw no INTS and scrambled quite well getting first downs when needed and getting rid of the ball quickly with pretty good decision making. The story here was the excellent run blocking by the O-line for Zac Stacey who went 27 carries for 127 yards, his second 100+yard game. Shelly Smith starting for harvey Dahl, Chris Williams, Jake Long, Scott Wells, and Rodger Saffold opened up some nice holes all day for Stacey and the other backs such as Cunningham. Pass blocking was good too only yielding 1 sack all day. Stacey continues to impress and if he stays healthy, this is the Rams RB as we go forward. Brian Quick finally had a decent day and Jared Cook decided to earn his salary with some nice catches, one for a TD.

The negatives. The obvious was Clemens fumble in the fourth quarter that killed us when we were close to driving for a tying TD. The fumble by Cunningham was completely boneheaded as he had a huge hole to run through then just dropped the ball early on that snuffed out yet another offensive drive. This was another game where we did not score a single point offensively in the first quarter and this is rapidly becoming a hallmark sign that we are going to lose. We also had 6 penalties for 44 yards. Clemens still throws a floater of a deep ball and it showed up today occasionally. And lastly, but certainly not least.

This effen O-coordinator in Shottenheimer has got to be the dumbest a-hole outside of our D-coordinator Tim Walton. I don't know why this idiot continues to believe that an open backfield on a pass play is going to fool opposing defenses but he uses it everytime we desperately need a first down instead of having some back in the back field to use at least with play action to pass. It never works because it is so predictable. He did it three times today and the last time he did it he killed another drive as Clemens missed a covered receiver on a 6 yard turn-in pattern. He also is repeating plays so much that the announcer mentioned that as not a good strategy. This guy continues to misuse his personnel and finally he put Stedman Bailey in and Bailey caught a pass. Austin still remians on the sideline far too much and he goes away from a guy like Stacey who has been working all day long to a series of ridiculous pass plays that were doomed from the beginning. What Fisher sees in this guy boggles the imagination.

On defense. The positives. This defense had another terrific day rushing the passer. Hayes, Laurinaitus, and Langford all had sacks with Langford getting 2. Rodney McLeod had a good day getting a pick in the third quarter. Finnegan returned to make some plays as well. Not much else here.

The negatives. This defense continues to give up big chuncks of run yardage as C. Johnson finished the day 23 carries for 150 yards and they gave up a total of 198 rushing yards. This remains a weakness this year in this defense. They also gave up large chunks of yardage on the go-ahead TD drive by Tennessee. Tim Walton has got to be the dumbest idiot on the planet. He continually plays one safety at least 20-25 yards deep leaving a huge hole in the middle of the field right behind Laurinaitus. He did it today when the Titans were on our 8 yard line and Locker just snapped the ball and ran it in for an easy TD. Nobody there. If a team gets past our 8-man-in-the-box fronts, they can easily pick up huge yardage and that routinely happened today because this dope is playing a 100-yard prevent defense. It is the most maddening thing to watch. What Fisher sees in this idiot is worse than what he sees in Shottenheimer.

Special Teams. The positives. The STs almost sprung Austin for a big return at the end of the game but Austin stepped out of bounds for a 51-yard return. Austin is going to break one, one of these days. Hekker had some good punting and I think that boy can play QB. He is certainly big enough and he can throw the ball pretty well.

The negatives. We had our usual STs penalty today and Zuerlein missed another fireld goal that would have put us up 17-14 at the half. I don't know what is up with him but missing FGs is back.

Well off we go to Indy to finish off the first half of our season. We are so close to getting things right that I suppose if they keep playing, they will all stop finding ways to lose games with ridiculous mental mistakes. But it sure is frustrating for the fans who have waited along time to actually see this Rams organization shed their losing mentality and play with some hutzpah!! We all wait!

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fumble by Cunningham when RAMS had mo when RAMS was ready to score a TD was killer. The fumble by Clemens was awful. It gave the Titans the red zone right off the bat. Those two were the ball game. RAMS are just snake bit. RAMS pretty much played even with the Titans. So if you're the home team you should of pulled it out. The number 8 pick in the draft WR Austin must not be catching on too fast. RAMS always find a way to lose. Last week I just knew RAMS wouldn't get a TD at the end.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Well done retro, it is maddening, with Shotts and the D-Choater, Stacy running the ball well and he throws, really? The same type of pattern, like there is only 3 in the playbook.:gaah: Please put Finnegan at safety or on the bench, because he can't cover shit.:lame: He read one pass and that was it and took bad angles on most of the running plays.:doh: I see a light here at the end of the tunnel but we are several players away from competing for a lot of wins in a season.:nod:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The number 8 pick in the draft WR Austin must not be catching on too fast.

idk what to think of austin, its either he doesn't have the whole playbook down or shotty is just shitty getting him the ball. He had a good 6yd run and could have had a touchdown if Clemons doesn't overthrow him. Not to mention the punt returning.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, Austin was one step from breaking that punt in the fourth Red_Chaos. He is going to get one sooner rather than later.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more Austin not being utilized correctly. He's shown excellent burst and field vision on punt returns so far. I can't imagine how that won't translate to his receiving game when he gets the ball in space 10+ yards down the field.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree DK7000. Shottenheimer just has not used this guy the right way and he is not on the field enough to be used properly. They should be sending him beyond ten yards and work the 20+ yards with him more often.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game hutzpah!! We all wait!

Good eval Retro, but I will not get down on Zuerlien, misses will happen. 44 yarder is not a chip shot, you will occasionally miss those. His 50 yard miss last week also was not a given. Most of his misses last year were like from 55 yards or more.

Maybe part of his problem is that the Rams don't get him enough opportunities. His 50 yard miss last week would have been good from 70 yards, "if" he would have made it. I think its just a matter of time before he sets the longest FG record.

He has missed 10 FG the last year and a half, 7 of those have been 50 or longer, so otherwise he has made 30 out 33 inside of 50 yards, I don't know of to many teams that wouldn't take that, let alone the 7 that he has made from 50 and beyond in just his first year.

This guy is the real deal, I thought with the Rams supposed improvement in offense that he would get many more opportunities this year, it just hasn't happened.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Smed55. Yea this game the Rams scored their first and second rushing TDs of the year and they had a passing TD and Zuerlein did not have many ops today. He needs to stay fresh and hang in there as he'll come around as well. We are getting closer to putting together some real effort but we continue to find ways to lose. Eventually, this may disappear-I hope!!

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is nice to see Zac Stacy making a mark in this League.

Clemens is a decent backup trying to do a Starter's job. But, who do you get to step in to the No. 1 spot?

Austin is still not used enough or effectively. Also, why not start using Stedman Bailey?

The Rams should not be losing to the Titans.

Is it time for Baseball season, yet?

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things will not change as long as Fisher is the coach. How do you continually make the same mistakes game after game after game? Nothing changes. The same penalties, the same stupid offensive play-calling and formations. The same stupid defensive philosophy. Even though this stuff doesn't work, Fisher doesn't change anything. He is ultimately responsible for "Enabling" these guys to continue their head up their *#@ game plans. Last week they stumbled upon a way to contain the Seahawks offense, but ruined it with stupid play calling on offense and the tendency to give up big plays on defense. I'm not upset that the Rams lost. If anybody still entertained ideas that this season was anything but hopeless at this point please share what you've been smoking. The more games we lose, the higher our draft picks will be. What does alarm me though is the coaching staff's inability to recognize problems, and even lesser ability to make changes where they obviously need to be made. We as fans can't see everything the coaches see--we're not in the locker rooms or film room, or on the practice field. But we do see the decisions and the philosophies of the coaches manifested in the performance of the team on the field. Fisher and his staff consistently have demonstrated the inflexibility to make changes or even adjustments in their philosophies or game plans. Do you actually think it will change next year if Fisher is still here? He had mediocre teams that constantly were at the top of the league in penalties year in and year out at Tennessee. He runs an undisciplined team, and doesn't learn from his mistakes. If Fisher is still here next season who wants to bet me that Shottenheimer will also be, even though it's painfully obvious he is a horse's ass and needs to be fired. Who wants to bet that Fisher retains Walton as DC, even though he has the defensive IQ of a lamp post? Who is betting me that "Sit Down To Pee Sammy" will still be our over-rated, over-paid college level QB? Who wants to bet that even though we'll inevitably get a high draft pick, these guys will somehow figure out a way to screw that up and end up drafting Mortimer Snerd in the 2nd round to pair with Brian Quick to defecate on himself. I've actually entertained ideas that Fisher is trying to sabotage the Rams to get back at them for the Super Bowl loss in '99. The perfect irony----take $7 million a year to continue the disaster that this team has been since early 2000.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*shows restraint to new comer*

really sit down to pee? atleast SJ has some manners x-x

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red. I have known Boss for a long time. And I don't know if an endorsement from me would help or hurt him. But I will say you wont find a more loyal Rams fan anywhere. He is passionate and straight to the point and believes what he says. Some of what he posts is for effect. But believe me he is Rams thru and thru. Like many of us his frustrations with the current state of our team comes out in his posts. Having said that have at it.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schotty had the right call at one point that would have resulted in a Tavon Austin 80 yard touchdown. It didn't happen 'cause Kellen Clemens over threw him 'cause he sucks ars!

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprisingly, this loss wasn't all Kellen Clemens fault, even though he tried his damnedest to stake his claim for it, with that fumble in the Titans' redzone. No... sadly enough, the offense as a whole is to blame here. Sure, the defense gave up 28 points, but the offense probably left about 21 on the field, themselves. Between Benny Cunningham's "phantom fumble" (how weird was that one?), Clemens overthrowing a wide open Tavon Austin for a sure TD (well, had he caught it, that is), to Zuerlein missing a chip shot after going 3-and-out from the Tennessee 26 yard line (field position, courtesy of the defense).

Weird thing is... I'm not upset about it. I kinda wish I was. When Clemens coughed up that ball to set up the Titans' go-ahead TD, I didn't start raging, like I usually do, because... well... I expected it. Since Bradford went down, I've been looking at this season as an extended preseason for 2014. If for any other reason than saving my sanity, I came to the realization two weeks ago, that we're not going to win another game this year. It's actually quite "zen", to be honest. I can watch the games and root for my team without all the stress and frustration of losing. It's kind of like letting your body go limp during a car accident. And when Chris Johnson scored Tennessee's 4th TD on the day, I was already like a wet noodle.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree DK7000. Shottenheimer just has not used this guy the right way and he is not on the field enough to be used properly. They should be sending him beyond ten yards and work the 20+ yards with him more often.

He should also be in the slot instead of lining him up outside. He can't beat press coverage and he gets very little separation.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boss429Mustang needs no defense. What he stated is spot on. Others have been stating similar ideas and they are all right. To believe otherwise is chasing after fool's gold!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't blame Sam for being considered overrated. he did not ask to be drafted number 1 overall and be sent to a team who can't win a game if it was handed on a silver platter. A healthy bradford IMO wins Sunday's game. But both the offense and the defense fucked up at the wrong time. With such a limited team, we can't afford to make mistakes and get behind, unlike the Colts, redskins, etc ect.

Also, im sick and tired of loses being blamed solely on the offense, the defense has been pure crap this year. I don't care if they get all these sacks, hasn't lead to one win.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sam debate will not end till it ends. It is a shame the kid got such a bad break and is unable to prove himself on the field this year. I believe Bradford had or has all the physical tools to be a great NFL QB. But he is missing something. IMHO its leadership ability. Great QBs have to elevate the players around them. Making journeymen players great and great players superstars.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk what to think of austin, its either he doesn't have the whole playbook down or shotty is just shitty getting him the ball. He had a good 6yd run and could have had a touchdown if Clemons doesn't overthrow him. Not to mention the punt returning.

I think you guys are over thinking TA and his abilities. You have to look at it like this...

He would have 2 TD returns but, Penalties
He would have 2 more long TD passes, 1 penalty and 1 bad overthrow.
He would be one of the league leaders in Punt return yardage but, penalties.

He's doing his job guys. He's getting open, and he's a play-maker. We as fans need to have better memories when it comes to criticizing a player.

Yes, I'll be the first he's had some bad mistakes and he's dropped some easy passes but he's a rookie and he's doing a pretty good job.
I say lay off him, we have bigger fish to fry.