• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howell on the roster I would have to think that it's very possible that Geno is now on the trade block, unless Howell is supposed to be the QB of the future and will sit behind Geno for a year or two.

The only possible trade partner that makes sense for Geno would be Denver, though, and would they pull the trigger on him in what appears to be a most definite rebuild year?
If he is the QOTF, no need for him to sit since he already has NFL experience...

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Geno is Payton's type of QB.

Not to mention....they are in cap hell.
You're probably right that Geno isn't his type of QB but overthecap has Denver with 20+ mil in cap space and geno would only count 12 mil against their cap so the financial part seems feasible. But they would probably be best just tanking for a season and getting the #1 pick

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Howell... I think he'll be fine. Nearly a 4K yard QB, one of the worst teams in the league and the worst defense in the NFL and he did that? He's not even 24... Ridder, Nix, and Penix are already than him... Why the hell would we move on from that?

I mean I understand we're not getting Aaron Rodgers here... but it's better than anything Drew Lock or Matt Flynn came anything close to doing...

So what was our plan? Get a 3rd round QB and no 4th round pick (early) and take some flyer on a guy who has not started a full season and thrown for over 4K yards with one of the worst teams in the season (yah I get he was a sack casualty)? Take the 1st, trade back - get Nubin, Colson, and the best Guard at 3 and call it a warp... spend the 4th on a DT.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is the QOTF, no need for him to sit since he already has NFL experience...
I don't see Howell starting but if Geno and the offense struggles, I could see them mid way making a change.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Howell... I think he'll be fine. Nearly a 4K yard QB, one of the worst teams in the league and the worst defense in the NFL and he did that? He's not even 24... Ridder, Nix, and Penix are already than him... Why the hell would we move on from that?

I mean I understand we're not getting Aaron Rodgers here... but it's better than anything Drew Lock or Matt Flynn came anything close to doing...

So what was our plan? Get a 3rd round QB and no 4th round pick (early) and take some flyer on a guy who has not started a full season and thrown for over 4K yards with one of the worst teams in the season (yah I get he was a sack casualty)? Take the 1st, trade back - get Nubin, Colson, and the best Guard at 3 and call it a warp... spend the 4th on a DT.
Howell may have some potential and I thought the Seahawks might take a flyer on him out of college and he didn't get drafted until round 5. However Howell led the league in interceptions and lead the league in sacks and Washington OL graded out higher then the Seahawks OL. The Washington defense was really bad so Howell was throwing a ton of passes thus the 4000 yards. Seahawks drop back 24 picks from the third they gave up and drop 27 picks for their 5 round pick. I feel that is a horrible trade considering his picks and sacks lead the league and was drafted in the 5th round and was being replaced. I mean really horrible. JS confirmed that he will not being competing with Geno for the starting positions. So the Seahawks drop from pick 78 to pick 102 then from pick 152 to pick 179. To justify this trade JS says other teams were in the mix for Howell LOL. God he sucks at bartering.
Oh well what's done is done.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howell may have some potential and I thought the Seahawks might take a flyer on him out of college and he didn't get drafted until round 5. However Howell led the league in interceptions and lead the league in sacks and Washington OL graded out higher then the Seahawks OL. The Washington defense was really bad so Howell was throwing a ton of passes thus the 4000 yards. Seahawks drop back 24 picks from the third they gave up and drop 27 picks for their 5 round pick. I feel that is a horrible trade considering his picks and sacks lead the league and was drafted in the 5th round and was being replaced. I mean really horrible. JS confirmed that he will not being competing with Geno for the starting positions. So the Seahawks drop from pick 78 to pick 102 then from pick 152 to pick 179. To justify this trade JS says other teams were in the mix for Howell LOL. God he sucks at bartering.
Oh well what's done is done.

Well we'll see what happens Harold. You make very valid points. I think even if we moved on from him after 2024 and into 2025 he's still young enough to make things happen. Look at what Ridder did last year with a ton more talent at basically every position... far less. he could barely carry the team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we'll see what happens Harold. You make very valid points. I think even if we moved on from him after 2024 and into 2025 he's still young enough to make things happen. Look at what Ridder did last year with a ton more talent at basically every position... far less. he could barely carry the team.
Howell is better then Ridder but that's a low bar.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Howell trade reminds me of the time JS gave a 3rd for Charlie Whitehurst.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly don't follow college football.
You are one claiming a counter factual and arguing that NFL teams base their scouting media coverage.

You've invented a convoluted argument that a QB from North Carolina would get drafted above a QB from freaking Oregon, one of the most successful college programs of the last 20 years, because of media hype. You ignore that the ACC has an undefeated team that invented to the CBP playoff.

You ignore that Nix WAS a SEC QB. You ignore that he's 24. You assume any criticism of Penix or Nix is just East coast bias.

Honestly it is a bit weird how determined you are to die on this hill.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised we traded for Howell, he’s young, has some experience, but I wasn’t super thrilled we dropped lower in our draft position to get this guy… They must see something in him they really like and feel he’ll improve over time … We’ll see

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was surprised we traded for Howell, he’s young, has some experience, but I wasn’t super thrilled we dropped lower in our draft position to get this guy… They must see something in him they really like and feel he’ll improve over time … We’ll see
Yeah it was a surprise. Howell is fun to watch play. Tough, doesn’t hesitate to step up in the pocket to throw a pass, knowing he’s going to get hit hard. He’s mobile with a good arm. Problem is he’s a wild gunslinger which is why h lead the league in interception. He’s young and over confident, so maybe he’ll grow out of it in time. I don’t mind him as a developmental prospect. I just hated trading the draft capital for him. IDK why backup QB would be a priority in March. Guess JS views him as a QB of the future? Given his penchant for picks and sacks IDK if I like the odds Should of been able to get him for less draft capital Washington is going to draft a QB and signed another QB to be the backup. I find it hard to believe ”several other teams” were trying to trade for Howell. Made a inquiry on his cost? Sure. Oh well water under the bridge now. I hope Howell ends up being good, but seems like a long shot. In any case it will be interesting to see him play, if he gets on the field.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the looks of it with us having the 16th pick whatever QB that is still available by that pick is more than likely someone we shouldn't pick. The first 3 teams on the board will probably pick a QB and there are like 5 other teams ahead of us that would like to draft a QB as well. Sam Howell being on the market he is most likely better then whatever will be there at 16 and will be roughly the same age.

For people that don't like this move remember this man chopped us up when we went to go play the Commanders.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it was a surprise. Howell is fun to watch play. Tough, doesn’t hesitate to step up in the pocket to throw a pass, knowing he’s going to get hit hard. He’s mobile with a good arm. Problem is he’s a wild gunslinger which is why h lead the league in interception. He’s young and over confident, so maybe he’ll grow out of it in time. I don’t mind him as a developmental prospect. I just hated trading the draft capital for him. IDK why backup QB would be a priority in March. Guess JS views him as a QB of the future? Given his penchant for picks and sacks IDK if I like the odds Should of been able to get him for less draft capital Washington is going to draft a QB and signed another QB to be the backup. I find it hard to believe ”several other teams” were trying to trade for Howell. Made a inquiry on his cost? Sure. Oh well water under the bridge now. I hope Howell ends up being good, but seems like a long shot. In any case it will be interesting to see him play, if he gets on the field.
You think moving down from the mid-3rd to the mid 4th is a lot of draft capital?

He is costing the team less than a million. We still need a LG, LB and safety. Drew lock cost 5 million.

Even if the Hawks are still looking to make a move for a QB in the draft this is a good move. Now they don't HAVE to draft a QB

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, wow, a bolt out of the blue last night when I saw the news about the Howell trade. I definitely did not see that one coming.

My immediate conclusion was that we have no designs on drafting our QBOTF this year, but now I'm not so sure. As has been mentioned, we did need a backup since Geno is the only QB under contract. Howell is cheap with 2 years left on his rookie deal, so having a QB2 now provides a little flexibility in the draft to go for value with fewer hotspots on the roster to address. If we do take an early QB, that means we'll be carrying 3 on the roster and likely having 1 inactive every week... so either the guy you just traded for or the rookie you just drafted are not even suiting up for you. I am not sure how jazzed I am about that image.

I can't wait to hear what Brock thinks about this, as he wanted to go all-in on McCarthy. While I still think we *could* draft a QB somewhere, I now HIGHLY doubt it'll be a trade up type situation to grab one of the top guys.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, wow, a bolt out of the blue last night when I saw the news about the Howell trade. I definitely did not see that one coming.

My immediate conclusion was that we have no designs on drafting our QBOTF this year, but now I'm not so sure. As has been mentioned, we did need a backup since Geno is the only QB under contract. Howell is cheap with 2 years left on his rookie deal, so having a QB2 now provides a little flexibility in the draft to go for value with fewer hotspots on the roster to address. If we do take an early QB, that means we'll be carrying 3 on the roster and likely having 1 inactive every week... so either the guy you just traded for or the rookie you just drafted are not even suiting up for you. I am not sure how jazzed I am about that image.

I can't wait to hear what Brock thinks about this, as he wanted to go all-in on McCarthy. While I still think we *could* draft a QB somewhere, I now HIGHLY doubt it'll be a trade up type situation to grab one of the top guys.

If they are able to get the QB they want, are they really so invested in Howell that they need to keep him? A couple of pick swaps and no cap hit doesn't sound terrible.

Seems to me that Howell is a solid safety move so that A) other teams won't see them as desperate if they look to make a deal and B) if they aren't able to make a deal they will have a pretty good backup

It's also possible that they will go after some guy later in the draft that will need time before he could be ready