• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR it's fine if you prefer Penix or Nix. To each their own. One or both of them may turn out to be better QBs in the NFL

But you should at least recognize that your biases might be affecting you.
Explain my bias

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard on 710 that Drew Lock is going to be a Giant. Not even sure what other somewhat proven backups are left at this point.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the Oregon pro day. Bo Nix sure looks good throwing the ball.
Not much chatter about him at all of late. Could be a nice pick if we trade down

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Their fame is basketball but when you have a QB like Drake Maye hit the scene, media eats that up. Oregon will always play second fiddle to those teams.
So you think the only reason Nix and Penix are not top 5 picks is because of the media?

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would for us to draft Penix.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The projections are all over the map for some of these kids in this draft. At this point, I've given up thinking about it because nobody knows for sure. Just going to wait and see how the draft plays out. Worried more about fixing this defense right now than anything else. Hopefully get some guys in the draft and have a scheme that gets all these guys playing their best ball. I doubt I'll have a clear picture until I officially become a senior citizen in late October, lol.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with how everything is falling in FA and the moves that have been made it leaves one to really ponder what the 2024 season will be for the Hawks. I am getting a strong feeling of a team that wont be all that competitive with some major holes to fill. JS is going full rebuild, I expect he will be picking up future or later round Draft picks often in this up coming draft also. If this happens this would really answer that question 100%.

SO MANY HOLES that's all i see on this team right now. The draft CAN NOT fill the holes we have for "STARTER" quality players. I am not saying great players but just a body that's worth starting 17 games in a season! I see some top 10 picks in the future. JS wants to rebuild right, no longer band-aid fixes now that Pete is gone. I feel he and Macdonald have a 2-3 year time frame/Plan in the works. Makes sense why they would commit with Geno going forward. He is cheap enough going forward and is under contract. It also buys them a couple chances at landing near the top of the draft lol.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with how everything is falling in FA and the moves that have been made it leaves one to really ponder what the 2024 season will be for the Hawks. I am getting a strong feeling of a team that wont be all that competitive with some major holes to fill. JS is going full rebuild, I expect he will be picking up future or later round Draft picks often in this up coming draft also. If this happens this would really answer that question 100%.

I stop short of calling this a full rebuild because of the roster decisions made on Geno Smith & TL. If we were in a full rebuild, I don't think we would have handled those moves that way. We wouldn't have committed to Geno for the '24 season, and we probably just would have cut TL to rip the band-aid off instead of pushing some money to keep him around. The other cap saving moves were expected and discussed in here at length for quite some time ahead of PC getting fired. Maybe it's semantics though, because I do agree this could be a bit of a step-back year. But we did also think that ahead of 2022 and got that one wrong.

SO MANY HOLES that's all i see on this team right now. The draft CAN NOT fill the holes we have for "STARTER" quality players. I am not saying great players but just a body that's worth starting 17 games in a season! I see some top 10 picks in the future. JS wants to rebuild right, no longer band-aid fixes now that Pete is gone. I feel he and Macdonald have a 2-3 year time frame/Plan in the works. Makes sense why they would commit with Geno going forward. He is cheap enough going forward and is under contract. It also buys them a couple chances at landing near the top of the draft lol.

I'll hold off judgment on what this looks like once I see the full plan roll out. I am definitely somewhere between surprised and disappointed that neither Patrick Queen nor Jordyn Brooks is on the team, but I am confident there is a plan. We have some holes created by the loss of role players, and we probably will be fine filling them with other role players and maybe draft picks. I never really thought this team was going to improve by focusing mainly on the 1st wave of free agency this off-season. Most of the time, those are dollars not well spent anyway.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still a ton of talent on this team.... you've got Lockett, Metcalf, a top 25 pick at WR, a former top 25 pick at TE, two 2nd round picks at RB, a QB that won CPOY and despite injuries did okay last season, a top 10 LT pick... some young guys that have to step up on the OL.

On the defensive side, you've got one of the top DEs that was in free agency last year, Leonard Williams (still very good), 3 early to mid 2nd round picks at EDGE, another EDGE who was great until injury, a top 5 DB, a near ROY DB that somehow sucked thanks to Carroll/Hurtt's dumbass scheme, a safety (Love) that really turned it on, another starting safety that regressed going to Jax (shocker) that fits Macs scheme perfectly...

This is a very talented team... there's a lot of pieces here. Now granted a lot of it will depend on how that talent progresses (although a lot already have) and what MacDonald can do with it.. but for Seattle to have one of the worst defenses in the league with the money and draft capital we spent... that's a coaching problem...

Last year's 9-8 record was strictly on coaching... there's nothing else to say - and it's IMO the primary reason Carroll was fired. The personnel was there for a good team.. but the coaching was absolutely horrendous. ZERO adjustments, NO schemes whatsoever, weird playcalls, despite being burned by it just "March out the soft zone again!" over and over. It was rather painful to watch.

This year what have we lost? An ILB that couldn't cover for hell or have any other play recognition, two safeties that were the worst (or close to it) in the league, 3 guards/centers that played ABYSMAL (Lewis' contract was one of the stupidest things I've seen this offseason) and both guards could never stay healthy anyway... and two tight ends who were... meh? One couldn't stay healthy and Parkinson was okay at blocking but Fant has WAY more upside. B Wags was the only GOOD player we lost (and he regressed from the Rams).

So, we went into last season and all thought Seattle was deep playoff bound. And this year... yah we have holes to fill, but even if we fill those holes with rookies or cheap free agents (exception B Wags, but the guy is on his last legs) how are we WORSE? Bradford was already playing RG (he should improve), Brown was terrible at Center, Lewis literally mailed it in (and somehow got paid), and Brooks was not only injured but still allowing offenses to dominate the middle of the field.

I find it very amusing people are saying Hawks are going to suck this year. Tell me where we got worse? And free agency is not OVER. There's still available people lol. Nevermind a DC who is now your HC who turned a bunch of 'decent but some average' guys into a top 3 defense in the NFL... If this was any sort of rebuild, Geno gone, Metcalf gone, Lockett gone, Williams gone, Jones traded, etc. This team can easily make the playoffs next year.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still a ton of talent on this team.... you've got Lockett, Metcalf, a top 25 pick at WR, a former top 25 pick at TE, two 2nd round picks at RB, a QB that won CPOY and despite injuries did okay last season, a top 10 LT pick... some young guys that have to step up on the OL.

On the defensive side, you've got one of the top DEs that was in free agency last year, Leonard Williams (still very good), 3 early to mid 2nd round picks at EDGE, another EDGE who was great until injury, a top 5 DB, a near ROY DB that somehow sucked thanks to Carroll/Hurtt's dumbass scheme, a safety (Love) that really turned it on, another starting safety that regressed going to Jax (shocker) that fits Macs scheme perfectly...

This is a very talented team... there's a lot of pieces here. Now granted a lot of it will depend on how that talent progresses (although a lot already have) and what MacDonald can do with it.. but for Seattle to have one of the worst defenses in the league with the money and draft capital we spent... that's a coaching problem...

Last year's 9-8 record was strictly on coaching... there's nothing else to say - and it's IMO the primary reason Carroll was fired. The personnel was there for a good team.. but the coaching was absolutely horrendous. ZERO adjustments, NO schemes whatsoever, weird playcalls, despite being burned by it just "March out the soft zone again!" over and over. It was rather painful to watch.

This year what have we lost? An ILB that couldn't cover for hell or have any other play recognition, two safeties that were the worst (or close to it) in the league, 3 guards/centers that played ABYSMAL (Lewis' contract was one of the stupidest things I've seen this offseason) and both guards could never stay healthy anyway... and two tight ends who were... meh? One couldn't stay healthy and Parkinson was okay at blocking but Fant has WAY more upside. B Wags was the only GOOD player we lost (and he regressed from the Rams).

So, we went into last season and all thought Seattle was deep playoff bound. And this year... yah we have holes to fill, but even if we fill those holes with rookies or cheap free agents (exception B Wags, but the guy is on his last legs) how are we WORSE? Bradford was already playing RG (he should improve), Brown was terrible at Center, Lewis literally mailed it in (and somehow got paid), and Brooks was not only injured but still allowing offenses to dominate the middle of the field.

I find it very amusing people are saying Hawks are going to suck this year. Tell me where we got worse? And free agency is not OVER. There's still available people lol. Nevermind a DC who is now your HC who turned a bunch of 'decent but some average' guys into a top 3 defense in the NFL... If this was any sort of rebuild, Geno gone, Metcalf gone, Lockett gone, Williams gone, Jones traded, etc. This team can easily make the playoffs next year.
Which positions have the Seahawks got stronger at vs last season? Not a single one it seems to me. However lots of time left, it's only March. There will be some more signings at some point be it pre draft, post draft or when rosters have to be cut back. Or maybe a trade or two could happen.
Truthfully I feel the free agency just didn't go as expected. Sure the huge signings were expected, but this time the initial rush included the next tier and the tier after that. A lot fewer players looking for a home then usual IMO. Heard someone say that while some fans are unhappy that either Brooks or Queen wasn't signed by this time next year could be they'll be happy they weren't because what if Brooks has injuries again (certainly a possibility) and Queen goes back to looking like a bust (before Roquain Smith was traded for).
Right now it's hard to be optimistic because how the roster gets filled out is a total mystery and there are no easy solutions apparent, so patience is going to be required ( not one of my strong points LOL).
I heard someone talk about how free agency went for a spell under JS ( think he mentioned 2017-2019) where if felt like the signings were were nothing but duct tape, patches and some gum thrown together to form a half ass roster and hoping that's not what is going on this off season. Nobody wants that, especially JS and McDonald. So I expect they have some plan, some ideas that just haven't happened yet. They have some decent cap space yet to work with, so we need to wait and see how it turns out. However waiting isn't easy or fun so.....:ohwell:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which positions have the Seahawks got stronger at vs last season? Not a single one it seems to me. However lots of time left, it's only March. There will be some more signings at some point be it pre draft, post draft or when rosters have to be cut back. Or maybe a trade or two could happen.
Truthfully I feel the free agency just didn't go as expected. Sure the huge signings were expected, but this time the initial rush included the next tier and the tier after that. A lot fewer players looking for a home then usual IMO. Heard someone say that while some fans are unhappy that either Brooks or Queen wasn't signed by this time next year could be they'll be happy they weren't because what if Brooks has injuries again (certainly a possibility) and Queen goes back to looking like a bust (before Roquain Smith was traded for).
Right now it's hard to be optimistic because how the roster gets filled out is a total mystery and there are no easy solutions apparent, so patience is going to be required ( not one of my strong points LOL).
I heard someone talk about how free agency went for a spell under JS ( think he mentioned 2017-2019) where if felt like the signings were were nothing but duct tape, patches and some gum thrown together to form a half ass roster and hoping that's not what is going on this off season. Nobody wants that, especially JS and McDonald. So I expect they have some plan, some ideas that just haven't happened yet. They have some decent cap space yet to work with, so we need to wait and see how it turns out. However waiting isn't easy or fun so.....:ohwell:

It's not like we had a ton of cap, Harold... we need a RT replacement for Lucas (who will almost assuredly miss games), we needed a starting TE (Parksinson and Dissly are not that and we replaced them with a cheaper/equivalent option anyway), we needed a starting ILB (still haven't found), we needed starting safeties and YES - Love and Jenkins ARE better than Diggs/Adams, we needed to address the DL and Williams was about the best you can do... Sure, Schneider could've gone with Adams/Diggs and done a post June cut, but is that really solving anything?

I don't want to do the argument 'what positions are we better at?' I want to target, what positions have we got WORSE at? ILB? That's about it. Yah we have some holes to fill at guard but frankly I'd be perfectly fine marching Oluwatimi out there over Brown and whoever the hell you draft over Lewis who looked like complete trash. And George is far better than Curhan or Jason Peters and that stupid rotation at RT which we'll need because Lucas probably will miss games this year.

And now that we have a coach that can HOPEFULLY (haven't seen it in action yet) take roughly the same defense (outside of ILB) and actually modernize it to be relevant in the NFL... how are we exactly worse? And if last year was a decent "Let's go!" year, how is this year now instantly a rebuild or irrelevant year?

Your last comment, they have some decent cap space to work with... not sure about that. There's $33M left with only Williams/Lockett's updates, you need $10-12M for rookies/PS/injuries, and there's a bunch of the shorter term contracts that haven't been updated. They can cut lower salary guys, but we're not exactly swimming in cap with around $35M dead.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we just trade for Sam Howell?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like we had a ton of cap, Harold... we need a RT replacement for Lucas (who will almost assuredly miss games), we needed a starting TE (Parksinson and Dissly are not that and we replaced them with a cheaper/equivalent option anyway), we needed a starting ILB (still haven't found), we needed starting safeties and YES - Love and Jenkins ARE better than Diggs/Adams, we needed to address the DL and Williams was about the best you can do... Sure, Schneider could've gone with Adams/Diggs and done a post June cut, but is that really solving anything?

I don't want to do the argument 'what positions are we better at?' I want to target, what positions have we got WORSE at? ILB? That's about it. Yah we have some holes to fill at guard but frankly I'd be perfectly fine marching Oluwatimi out there over Brown and whoever the hell you draft over Lewis who looked like complete trash. And George is far better than Curhan or Jason Peters and that stupid rotation at RT which we'll need because Lucas probably will miss games this year.

And now that we have a coach that can HOPEFULLY (haven't seen it in action yet) take roughly the same defense (outside of ILB) and actually modernize it to be relevant in the NFL... how are we exactly worse? And if last year was a decent "Let's go!" year, how is this year now instantly a rebuild or irrelevant year?

Your last comment, they have some decent cap space to work with... not sure about that. There's $33M left with only Williams/Lockett's updates, you need $10-12M for rookies/PS/injuries, and there's a bunch of the shorter term contracts that haven't been updated. They can cut lower salary guys, but we're not exactly swimming in cap with around $35M dead.
Only 7 teams with more cap space then the Seahawks and Seahawks have 7 picks to help round out the roster (draft cost 8.4). You feel a OL made up of Bradford, Oluwatimi and a rookie in the interior is going to be decent in 2024? Maybe, but your counting on a lot of progress on young players you haven't seen much (other then Bradford). The TE position 2023 Fant/Parkinson?Dissly vs Fant/Brown better or worse? Not sure myself.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we just trade for Sam Howell?

yes.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man JS is maybe the worse trader ever. He absolutely gets taken to the woodshed on every trade.

Dunno on this one. I actually like this trade... Course I've been wrong on most of our QB moves...

That said, Howell actually has some starting potential. We didn't give up a 3rd round for this, give me a break. We gave up a mid 3rd for an early 4th. Yes there's a difference, but this isn't like giving up a 3rd for a 7th or some ridiculousness. Not to mention, so let's say we spent our other 3rd on a QB? Are they going to be that better that Howell who at least almost threw for 4K yards and did SOMETHING on a shit team? At least out of this we got an early 4th.

Howell nearly threw for 4K yards behind an O-line that even with our moves is worse than Seattle's with FAR less talent at WR/TE/RB and the WORST defense in the league (course ours wasn't much better)... at least Geno has more experience...

Correct the defense so it's average... slightly BELOW average... and Howell I think with the weapons we have, COULD replace Smith, and do so well... the reason Howell was sacked and intercepted so much was it was desperation time, because honest to God, our defense was actually better than Washington.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howell on the roster I would have to think that it's very possible that Geno is now on the trade block, unless Howell is supposed to be the QB of the future and will sit behind Geno for a year or two.

The only possible trade partner that makes sense for Geno would be Denver, though, and would they pull the trigger on him in what appears to be a most definite rebuild year?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Howell on the roster I would have to think that it's very possible that Geno is now on the trade block, unless Howell is supposed to be the QB of the future and will sit behind Geno for a year or two.

The only possible trade partner that makes sense for Geno would be Denver, though, and would they pull the trigger on him in what appears to be a most definite rebuild year?
I doubt Geno is Payton's type of QB.

Not to mention....they are in cap hell.