• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Protein and workouts

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was serious about my lifting. It made me better at what the actual goal was. Winning.

smoking_charlie_sheen-37263.gif

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm only giving you a forewarning that you shouldn't be touting obvious bullshit stats around those who would know better. You'd be humiliated if you tried to tell legitimate power lifters in person, or probably even body builders for that matter, that you used to squat 600 raw in high school without powerful steroids and power lifting wasn't your primary focus for fitness.

I honestly didn't view that as anything special until you told me you think it's impossible. I was the highest but I knew two people who got around 550 (one of whom was almost undoubtedly using steroids).

Side note, the pissing contest about post count, really? :noidea:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be clear, it is important to consume protein after working out (obviously) but there is not 30 min or 1 hour critical control point. Most people seem to say if you do dose do it in like 6 hours but a constant influx of quality protein is most important. Chugging a wicked amount the minute you finish leads to a lot of wasted stuff that your body simply cannot metabolize that fast.

And no I am not a body builder but I played ice hockey well into and after college in semi-pro leagues and held my own at 210-220, so I am not some lab geek.

who did you play for?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me be clear, it is important to consume protein after working out (obviously) but there is not 30 min or 1 hour critical control point. Most people seem to say if you do dose do it in like 6 hours but a constant influx of quality protein is most important. Chugging a wicked amount the minute you finish leads to a lot of wasted stuff that your body simply cannot metabolize that fast.

And no I am not a body builder but I played ice hockey well into and after college in semi-pro leagues and held my own at 210-220, so I am not some lab geek.

My bro-in-law plays for the NW Flyers in Chicago. Has a game tonight. He played in college for the Eastern Illinois Panthers in college.

I slam a 20 gram whey protein shake after almost every workout, right at the drinking fountain. I'm 6'1 235 with 14 % body fat and dead lift over 500 lbs easy. I think everyone is different.

The whole point of protein shakes is to simply add another quick meal to your diet. They aren't intended to be meal replacements, although that's how they are sometimes marketed.

Chocolate milk is also a favorite when I want a break from the shakes.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right rob, but some protein powders like the one i have are 20g whey protein isolate...........mixed with water its a mere 100 calories..........not a meal at all

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who did you play for?

It was in the 90s and a South Carolina team called the Spiders. I also played for a team in Cayce, named the Crocs and a couple teams in SWVA. It was low level stuff but a ton of fun with amazing road trips for an 18 year old. Nothing with any records of real crowds aside from girlfriends and families but the older guys got paid. The college kids didnt because we were "saving eligibility" or whatever (translation, we were cheap).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right rob, but some protein powders like the one i have are 20g whey protein isolate...........mixed with water its a mere 100 calories..........not a meal at all

That's why it's not a suitable meal replacement. But take a couple of those a day and that's 200 extra calories a day plus an extra 40g of pure protein. Add that to 5 or 6 good meals a day and you're putting on some muscle if you're training right and sleeping right.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was in the 90s and a South Carolina team called the Spiders. I also played for a team in Cayce, named the Crocs and a couple teams in SWVA. It was low level stuff but a ton of fun with amazing road trips for an 18 year old. Nothing with any records of real crowds aside from girlfriends and families but the older guys got paid. The college kids didnt because we were "saving eligibility" or whatever (translation, we were cheap).

i played AAA, lil juniors, opted to stay local, body broke down ...........would do it again in a heart beat..........

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 30 minute thing breaks the rules of metabolism, but whatever floats your boat, dude....

I believe doctors, coaches, professors and scientists in the field, not magazines and bros at the gym.
All I can say is it worked great for me. Great results in muscle mass in only a couple of months.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I use mine with milk (same stuff). It is actually really good, sometimes put half of a banana in there.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very few people need protein supplements

it's a big business though, so the myth will remain perpetuated

my favorite is people who put protein powder into their post work-out smoothies and such. might as well just have a milkshake after a workout. so ridiculous.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very few people need protein supplements

it's a big business though, so the myth will remain perpetuated

my favorite is people who put protein powder into their post work-out smoothies and such. might as well just have a milkshake after a workout. so ridiculous.

why its proven that a dose of of sugar, with a protein to carb ration of 1 to 2-3carbs, somewher eint eh 25 grams protein, and 50-75 grams carbs post work within 30 minutes greatly assists in muscle recovery and reproduction

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why its proven that a dose of of sugar, with a protein to carb ration of 1 to 2-3carbs, somewher eint eh 25 grams protein, and 50-75 grams carbs post work within 30 minutes greatly assists in muscle recovery and reproduction

for hard core workout guys like rob.

not for most people, or at least, certainly not to that extent. that's a lot of calories, a great many of which will be converted into fat in the long run. especially given the predilection to consume carbs in the form of simple sugars....more and more derived from corn/fructose.

a lot of people read the stuff that you just posted, and think that it applies to everybody who goes to the gym or works out. it's why they remain fatasses with little or no muscle gains and bodyfat loss despite hours upon hours at the gym, and end up giving up on their new year's resolutions within 6 weeks or less.

a 24 ounce bottle of gatorade has about 36 grams of carbs, which is well under the 50-75 you're talking about. that's NINE TEASPOONS of sugar. exactly nobody outside of high endurance athletes or hardcore lifters need that kind of fuel before, during, or after a workout.

for anybody who isn't training for a bodybuilding contest or the tour de france, a normal diet will suffice. all of the powders, pills, and planning in the world will result in pretty much nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for hard core workout guys like rob.

not for most people.

a lot of people read the stuff that you just posted, and think that it applies to everybody who goes to the gym or works out. it's why they remain fatasses with little or no muscle gains and bodyfat loss despite hours upon hours at the gym, and end up giving up on their new year's resolutions within 6 weeks or less.

a 24 ounce bottle of gatorade has about 36 grams of carbs, which is well under the 50-75 you're talking about. that's NINE TEASPOONS of sugar. exactly nobody outside of high endurance athletes or hardcore lifter need that kind of fuel before, during, or after a workout.

for anybody who isn't training for a bodybuilding contest or the tour de france, a normal diet will suffice. all of the powders, pills, and planning in the world will result in pretty much nothing.

i lift for about an hour a day 5 days a week, and do 50-60 min of vigorous cardio 5-6 days a week...the days i work out........
I usually bring a shake, protein, some fruit for simple sugars and carbs, and a tablespoon of honey.........
sure helps me......

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i lift for about an hour a day 5 days a week, and do 50-60 min of vigorous cardio 5-6 days a week...the days i work out........
I usually bring a shake, protein, some fruit for simple sugars and carbs, and a tablespoon of honey.........
sure helps me......

good for you. most people don't need that was my only point.

not trying to trash what you're saying at all, sorry.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good for you. most people don't need that was my only point.

not trying to trash what you're saying at all, sorry.

no i agree with you...........

I just find it helps my recovery, i push myself hard, ive been busting my butt and transforming myself.........i take in about 3400 calories a day, and still am losing some weight, to give you an idea the intensity.........I am in the process of going back to a split training program, but I have been doing lately an every other day full body weight routine, and dear god its kicking my butt, i'll take the help, and i struggly to get the calories in i need, so liquid calories help lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its the guys that do like 3-4 sets of weights, 5-10 min of cardio and then slug down a 300-400 calorie drink........they just took in more calories than they burned, and did very little muscle, and a ton of people do that..........

But when im burning 600-1000 calories........i can handle the 300 calorie shake i make..