• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pretty quiet..

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it interesting that reports seem to come out last week that Burrow may be out a bit longer than thought...and then prior to the 1st pre-season game, he was out there going through, what many were calling, traditional pre-game warmup type throws/situations....sans the calf sleeve....that would seem to indicate that Burrow is right on target....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it interesting that reports seem to come out last week that Burrow may be out a bit longer than thought...and then prior to the 1st pre-season game, he was out there going through, what many were calling, traditional pre-game warmup type throws/situations....sans the calf sleeve....that would seem to indicate that Burrow is right on target....
Obviously one can never know because teams don't readily share health/medical/injury stuff during the training camp.... Last year was a good example as most of us figured Burrow had a routine surgery for appendicitis. That is, until he showed up at camp with a picc line and couldn't even lift himself off a cart! BUT -- In this case, it seems like they are just being cautious. No reason for the calf to have issues during the season and there is still the contract situation in the background. I hope it doesn't cost us games at the beginning of the season, but my sense is that the calf shouldn't be an issue once real bullets start flying.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my guess is he'll be ready for regular season games week 1 or 2
Considering the amount of work he took part in prior to preseason game #1, I'd be shocked if he didn't start the season....

He was wearing a sleeve when he was injured, telling me he was already managing a small issue....last week he was practicing (albeit on the side) without the sleeve...that tells me he's further along in that process than he likely was prior to even being fully injured.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Division is looking nasty this year, especially if Pickett takes a reasonable jump in his second season and Watson is anywhere close to his pre-scandal form.

I have a hard time seeing any of these teams winning less than 7 or 8 games and it seems like they can all make the playoffs with the right breaks.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Division is looking nasty this year, especially if Pickett takes a reasonable jump in his second season and Watson is anywhere close to his pre-scandal form.

I have a hard time seeing any of these teams winning less than 7 or 8 games and it seems like they can all make the playoffs with the right breaks.
It's really hard to take anything away from preseason....I don't put much stock in how guys play these first few weeks. We all know the tales well of pre-season heroes, and Super Bowl champions is littered with players and teams who didn't do a thing once the games were live.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals need to come out smoking. They left 2 wins on the table last year. I don't want to hear the punter's name until maybe week 3.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals need to come out smoking. They left 2 wins on the table last year. I don't want to hear the punter's name until maybe week 3.
Here is where I really wished Taylor put at least a little more emphasis on the preseason games. I know he prefers the practice scrimmages and such, but it's simply not a substitution for going through the actual pregame stuff, heading out onto the field, and getting live reps in a stadium.

The defense played the 1st series. Williams played at RT....so there is obviously some benefit to getting guys some ability to knock the rust off in a live situation. Not to mention, much like last year, there is movement/additions to the OL up front....Brown is new. Williams is in a new position. OL, probably more than any other position, really rely on working with the guy next to them in order to do their jobs at a high level. Getting a few reps in with all the starters would go a long way, IMO, to keeping the slow starts at bay.

Even if Burrow can't go....at least the rest of the offense will have had some reps...instead, the way it looks, everyone will be taking their first live game reps week 1....which I don't care for....we'll see.....

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is where I really wished Taylor put at least a little more emphasis on the preseason games. I know he prefers the practice scrimmages and such, but it's simply not a substitution for going through the actual pregame stuff, heading out onto the field, and getting live reps in a stadium.

The defense played the 1st series. Williams played at RT....so there is obviously some benefit to getting guys some ability to knock the rust off in a live situation. Not to mention, much like last year, there is movement/additions to the OL up front....Brown is new. Williams is in a new position. OL, probably more than any other position, really rely on working with the guy next to them in order to do their jobs at a high level. Getting a few reps in with all the starters would go a long way, IMO, to keeping the slow starts at bay.

Even if Burrow can't go....at least the rest of the offense will have had some reps...instead, the way it looks, everyone will be taking their first live game reps week 1....which I don't care for....we'll see.....
I thought it was odd that the D played reps but the offense did not. I'm actually less worried about the defense's ability to show up and play than I am with the offense. My guess is that Taylor thinks that injury risks are increased for his receivers playing football without Burrow. We've already seen some awkward collisions from camp when these two jokers that play back-up QB have wildly underthrown their targets. And I'm fairly sure that Tee's agent has advised him that he will not be playing preseason reps. But, I don't really get why we don't run the starting offensive line out there and at least practice some run plays.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was odd that the D played reps but the offense did not. I'm actually less worried about the defense's ability to show up and play than I am with the offense. My guess is that Taylor thinks that injury risks are increased for his receivers playing football without Burrow. We've already seen some awkward collisions from camp when these two jokers that play back-up QB have wildly underthrown their targets. And I'm fairly sure that Tee's agent has advised him that he will not be playing preseason reps. But, I don't really get why we don't run the starting offensive line out there and at least practice some run plays.
Here's a thing, though...just for argument's sake...

If the backup QB has to come into a game....be it for a small stretch, or a long one....wouldn't it be great to have them with some actual reps with the 1st team OL/WR/RB? It's really hard to gauge anything from the 2nd string on because of so many mitigating factors....but probably most impacted (IMO) is that the drop-off in talent is pretty steep at some of these positions...it's doubtful that we'll have any games where either backup is throwing to Jackson, a TE who will be bagging groceries in another week, and 3 OL who won't be on the active roster in week 1.

But, even if that wasn't an issue....I have to agree, and think, that the need for the OL to really get out there and see some live bullets and work cohesively as a unit cannot be replicated in a practice setting....even against another team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a thing, though...just for argument's sake...

If the backup QB has to come into a game....be it for a small stretch, or a long one....wouldn't it be great to have them with some actual reps with the 1st team OL/WR/RB? It's really hard to gauge anything from the 2nd string on because of so many mitigating factors....but probably most impacted (IMO) is that the drop-off in talent is pretty steep at some of these positions...it's doubtful that we'll have any games where either backup is throwing to Jackson, a TE who will be bagging groceries in another week, and 3 OL who won't be on the active roster in week 1.

But, even if that wasn't an issue....I have to agree, and think, that the need for the OL to really get out there and see some live bullets and work cohesively as a unit cannot be replicated in a practice setting....even against another team.
At least to put the offensive line at risk now, so that Burrow isn't put at risk come week 1. Put the starting oline in and take the chance to make sure your $300 million dollar QB is not going to be as much at risk.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least to put the offensive line at risk now, so that Burrow isn't put at risk come week 1. Put the starting oline in and take the chance to make sure your $300 million dollar QB is not going to be as much at risk.
Agreed, and exactly.

Look...injuries suck. They are going to happen. Does it really matter if it happens in pre-season or week 1? I mean, it's easy to point and say "See, look - X player got hurt, why did they play him at all" and then fail to understand that by not properly prepping them for game situations could be just as big, and maybe bigger, of a risk for their health.

New LT. New RT. Still developing LG. Seems like a good time to get a few of those guys some live reps and gel. The running game certainly could use it, and working on protecting the QB now, could pay off week 1 if Burrow is having to step in fresh off a pre-season with no live reps. I mean...it makes sense, at least to me.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited. I think we will rock and roll. just keep the qb clean. the div. may be good but not Bengal good