• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pretty quiet..

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
considering it's a super bowl year. Have a sunny day!

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dax, anderson, Lovialious brown.......that's what I saw during GB game

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was at the game...things noticed...

Murphey looks raw. Needs to really develop more than just his strength/speed that he was able to use at the college level.

Edge contain, and LB play was.....WOOF. Lots of backups, obviously, and guys who will not make this team - but it likely was not a fun film review for Lou and the defensive front 7 that consistently got sucked inside and pushed around.

OL - still can't run block...and run plays are still very, very basic calls/formations. It's game 1 with a lot of backups and rookies, but it's worth noting here, I think, because this has been a trend under Taylor for several years with regards to the run game.

Backup QB's....are backups for a reason....letting Allen walk, hopefully won't matter, but still may have been a mistake.

I thought the recent draft picks, from last year and this year, those that played did well overall. Things here or there to clean up, but showed why they will all likely make the team, and contribute, this season.

In the end, it's hard to take things away from these games because not only are they pre-season games where many starters don't play, but the Bengals/Taylor do not seem to value the experience/ramp-up that it provides to the season. I'd love to see starters play a few snaps here, more into the 2nd qtr next week, and then back off for the 3rd game...that's me, but I think there is real value to getting guys fully immersed into the game setting heading into the 1st week of the season rather than just walking out there week 1 with nothing but a bunch of practices, and a team scrimmage, under the majority of starters' belts.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was at the game...things noticed...

Murphey looks raw. Needs to really develop more than just his strength/speed that he was able to use at the college level.

Edge contain, and LB play was.....WOOF. Lots of backups, obviously, and guys who will not make this team - but it likely was not a fun film review for Lou and the defensive front 7 that consistently got sucked inside and pushed around.

OL - still can't run block...and run plays are still very, very basic calls/formations. It's game 1 with a lot of backups and rookies, but it's worth noting here, I think, because this has been a trend under Taylor for several years with regards to the run game.

Backup QB's....are backups for a reason....letting Allen walk, hopefully won't matter, but still may have been a mistake.

I thought the recent draft picks, from last year and this year, those that played did well overall. Things here or there to clean up, but showed why they will all likely make the team, and contribute, this season.

In the end, it's hard to take things away from these games because not only are they pre-season games where many starters don't play, but the Bengals/Taylor do not seem to value the experience/ramp-up that it provides to the season. I'd love to see starters play a few snaps here, more into the 2nd qtr next week, and then back off for the 3rd game...that's me, but I think there is real value to getting guys fully immersed into the game setting heading into the 1st week of the season rather than just walking out there week 1 with nothing but a bunch of practices, and a team scrimmage, under the majority of starters' belts.
I think you hit on the key point - Taylor and his coaches don't take preseason action very seriously when it comes to schemes and timing. It seems to me the only thing you can really take away from these games is how well the players do in one-one-one scenarios.... Covering, blocking, rushing, getting separation, etc. In preseason last year we were completely outmatched and confused by defensive line stunts - There was some of that here too.... Guys looked okay in one-on-one assignments but basically were awful with coordinated efforts.

For the most part, I could care less about the D during this preseason. I don't know if we have ever had or will ever have this much continuity on D.... Same coaches, most of the same players, guys are healthy, etc. Yes, safety is a concern, but I'm not sure preseason will help too much as other teams are probably basic in their passing attacks as well.

I would like to see them form more of an identity on offense. It still seems like they are a team that tries to do too many things and doesn't really do anything particularly well.... Aside from just letting Burrow figure it out. There are some good offensive coaches on the staff - it would be nice to see them create a scheme that another qb could at least look serviceable, but we haven't really seen it in 4 years.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting observations about Murphy - Pretty much what it says in his scouting report. When I saw pictures of this guy from camp I was like "holy shit this dude looks athletic - he's going to be a monster!' But, it seems he's still figuring some things out. He's a bit of a luxury item right now - We should get good edge play from Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai, but it would be nice if they could find ways to use his athletic talent while he learns the position.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting observations about Murphy - Pretty much what it says in his scouting report. When I saw pictures of this guy from camp I was like "holy shit this dude looks athletic - he's going to be a monster!' But, it seems he's still figuring some things out. He's a bit of a luxury item right now - We should get good edge play from Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai, but it would be nice if they could find ways to use his athletic talent while he learns the position.
Would not be shocked if we saw him at DT in pure pass-rush formations. A place where his speed and strength may allow him to collapse the pocket on the inside, rather than getting rode wide around the QB.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you hit on the key point - Taylor and his coaches don't take preseason action very seriously when it comes to schemes and timing. It seems to me the only thing you can really take away from these games is how well the players do in one-one-one scenarios.... Covering, blocking, rushing, getting separation, etc. In preseason last year we were completely outmatched and confused by defensive line stunts - There was some of that here too.... Guys looked okay in one-on-one assignments but basically were awful with coordinated efforts.

For the most part, I could care less about the D during this preseason. I don't know if we have ever had or will ever have this much continuity on D.... Same coaches, most of the same players, guys are healthy, etc. Yes, safety is a concern, but I'm not sure preseason will help too much as other teams are probably basic in their passing attacks as well.

I would like to see them form more of an identity on offense. It still seems like they are a team that tries to do too many things and doesn't really do anything particularly well.... Aside from just letting Burrow figure it out. There are some good offensive coaches on the staff - it would be nice to see them create a scheme that another qb could at least look serviceable, but we haven't really seen it in 4 years.
Agreed on the offense. Hard to do, though, when no starters play. Which is my biggest gripe w/Taylor and the ramp up to the season. Especially now with only 3 preseason games. Combined/Joint practices are not game-day. You don't get the same work you do in an actual game. I think Taylor disagrees, but the slow start last year after sitting nearly everyone all pre-season -- it's hard not to see the correlation.

Also on the same page with the Defense, and how you can watch these games and what to take away. I look for assignment issues, 1-1 issues, etc...I focus less on the outcome of a play and more about how that outcome was derived. A lot of critical mistakes on big gains in the game that, to me, come down to lack of execution. That's where Lou is going to (or did) lose his mind in film review. With backups, and basically 3rd stringers, playing against starters and 2nd stringers...there are bound to be a lot of plays just because of the matchup....you execute correctly, but the big play still happens...no biggie. But on the long 80 yard TD run, the outside DE and Safety both allowed themselves to get sucked inside. When the RB bounced out, it was nothing but green grass and open field. Those are going to be the things that stick out to me....might have still been a nice gain, but if the DE is there, or the Safety is there - it's not a touchdown.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am actually a whole lot less concerned about safety after Friday night. Dax has some serious range and instincts. Tycen Andreson may be the best kept secret in the NFL. Then you have Nick Scott and the most productive college safety drafted in Jordan Battle. I think between those 4 guys and Michael Thomas as the captain and special teams ace, I think we are way solid.

I also really like our secondary regarding the CB's.

Chido, Cam, DJ, Hilton and Ivey...I think we are good to go.

That is 10 secondary players I think we can really depend on. The wild card in my opinion is whether or not they try to squeeze the secondary into having 11 players and adding Jalen Davis as Hilton's backup in the slot.

If we do that, we go light on the LB's in my opinion, because we are not going light on the DL. We play a 2 LB set basically, and I think the way we use our DE's and CB's, they can mask coverages to make DE's drop back, CB's or S drop down. I think as smart as Battle is, that eventually with his size and speed that he may be converted to a hybrid LB.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually a whole lot less concerned about safety after Friday night. Dax has some serious range and instincts. Tycen Andreson may be the best kept secret in the NFL. Then you have Nick Scott and the most productive college safety drafted in Jordan Battle. I think between those 4 guys and Michael Thomas as the captain and special teams ace, I think we are way solid.

I also really like our secondary regarding the CB's.

Chido, Cam, DJ, Hilton and Ivey...I think we are good to go.

That is 10 secondary players I think we can really depend on. The wild card in my opinion is whether or not they try to squeeze the secondary into having 11 players and adding Jalen Davis as Hilton's backup in the slot.

If we do that, we go light on the LB's in my opinion, because we are not going light on the DL. We play a 2 LB set basically, and I think the way we use our DE's and CB's, they can mask coverages to make DE's drop back, CB's or S drop down. I think as smart as Battle is, that eventually with his size and speed that he may be converted to a hybrid LB.
Agreed on the LB take. Not sure how many they normally keep, but If it is normally 5 then I could see just keeping 4, with Wilson, Pratt, and then the final 2 spots coming down to Bachie, Bailey, and Davis-Gaither...or just 5 (if they normally keep 6) with those 3 added to the starters...

They also might go a bit lighter on OL with a few guys looking like they are getting snaps across multiple positions, cutting Carman, and then keeping Collins on PUP for a few weeks to see how that shakes out. Both Ford and Adeniji offer backup tackle protection. Hill and Scharping offer backup options at RG/LG and Center....and you also have D'Ante Smith as well....

The reports on Carman's playing approach/mental approach to the 1st game is very disheartening considering how prepared it was reported he came into the off-season workouts to compete at RT, and coming off playing really well in last year's playoffs....but at some point, trends are trends, and you have to move on....Stinks because if he really put forth the effort he could be the Heir apparent at RT when Williams walks next year. Instead, I think we now see a RT get targeted early in the draft.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's Burrow doing, he'll be okay for the start of the season right? :hope:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's Burrow doing, he'll be okay for the start of the season right? :hope:
Is this a reverse jinx Brownie man? haha

We hope he will be ready, but with no practice or preseason, my guess is he is rusty out of the gate like last year. But, I do think he starts week 1.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a reverse jinx Brownie man? haha

We hope he will be ready, but with no practice or preseason, my guess is he is rusty out of the gate like last year. But, I do think he starts week 1.

No reverse jinx at all.

I said from the moment your Bengals drafted Burrow I'd be a fan of his. Sure he made his name at LSU but got his degree from Ohio State.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound biased or anything but I think Joe should sit out weeks one and eighteen. :heh:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound biased or anything but I think Joe should sit out weeks one and eighteen. :heh:
HAHAHA Now that take I can understand as a Browns fan. However, revisiting Burrow's record against the Browns, maybe you should want him on the field. He doesn't do well against the Browns.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHA Now that take I can understand as a Browns fan. However, revisiting Burrow's record against the Browns, maybe you should want him on the field. He doesn't do well against the Browns.

Well I'm worried it's only a matter time before he starts kicking me teams ass.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3