• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Week 4: @CAR

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The annual pillow fight with the Panthers is Thursday! Yeehaw!

Offense... Tomlin said there's no plan or order for the backup QBs in this game, but its plain as day to see that Rudolph is the QB2. Its being reported that Rudolph is still going to play, but IMO they should hang him up and let Dobbs be featured for an entire half, then let Hodges mop up the 2nd half. If they are going to garner any trade interest for Dobbs, then this is the game to do it. If no calls come, then Dobbs likely remains the QB3 and Duck gets wasted to the PS where someone should be willing to take him off their hands. If Rudolph plays, then Duck doesn't make the 53. Also time to feature Benny Snell. He has the most to prove out of anyone, but Edmunds still needs to prove he's worth considering and they both appear to be in a head to head battle for the RB3. So I expect those 2 to split the lion's share. Not sure what to expect as far as the WRs. But all eyes should be on Spencer to make his final push. Honestly he reminds me a lot of Damoun Patterson from last preseason. Made waves but ultimately got cut to the PS. And if I'm being honest I liked Patterson better than Spencer.

Defense... Final chance for guys like Skipper, UG3 & Spillane. If Skipper keeps making plays then he'll force the team's hand. I don't see how they could cut him, much like Hilton did back in '17. I think its safe to say Ola has made the 53. Skipper has better upside & potential than Chick. But the coaches love Chick for his durability & ST play. Skipper should be tried at ST in this game. If he does well that only makes the decision that much easier. Also curious to see how they divvy up the snaps at safety. Kelly, Dangerfield, & Allen all have cases to make. Kelly's spot is most likely secure, but being a relatively unknown commodity still makes this game important.

Who's Hurting???
  • Haden (ankle) returned to practice today. Said he's around 90% in terms of health. Not expecting him to sniff the field in this game. Said 1000% chance he plays week 1.
  • Chickillo (chest)... Didn't pick up on this last week. No word yet on the severity, but his spot could be at risk with Skipper showing out.
  • Dupree (thumb)... No indication of the severity of this injury yet. But don't expect him to play or practice much other than individual work.
  • Ola (meniscus surgery)... Reported as a 2-4 week timeframe of recovery. This Friday marks 2 weeks. Should be ready week 1, else they should have done the surgery sooner.
  • Davis (ankle)... Working through a sprain. Said it wasn't serious and is targetting week 1.
  • Snell... Said he's 100% this week. When asked if he was ok with a heavy workload this week he said "With Benny Snell Football, you take a full workload every game"
  • D Johnson (hip)... Tomlin stated "(speaking of Snell & Johnson) They need in-helmet prep in order to be given a legitimate chance to play. We'll play those guys next week, and didn't feel it was appropriate against TEN given the time they missed in prep for that game" but did not disclose whether he was at full health or not.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's Hurting???
  • Dupree (thumb)... No indication of the severity of this injury yet. But don't expect him to play or practice much other than individual work.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season or not this defense (linebackers especially) is just faster, which was a big issue without Shazier.

Would be huge if Dupree really has figured it out and can consistently use his burst to generate power like we saw at times this pre-season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell finishes pre season with what 28 carries for 54 yards?

How does he beat out edmunds?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season or not this defense (linebackers especially) is just faster, which was a big issue without Shazier.

Would be huge if Dupree really has figured it out and can consistently use his burst to generate power like we saw at times this pre-season.
Absolutely, younger faster, more explosive

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell finishes pre season with what 28 carries for 54 yards?

How does he beat out edmunds?
Yeah that's a tough case to make.

Snell needs to lose 15-20 pounds to get that quickness to force that extra separation but as of now just a bad pre-season

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's a tough case to make.

Snell needs to lose 15-20 pounds to get that quickness to force that extra separation but as of now just a bad pre-season
He didn’t wow in camp either. He was one I said they reached on he was said to not be a good nfl back.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the flip side, this team went from having no linebackers to having some really tough decisions to make with them.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I don't see Dobbs making the team. No need to have a 3rd QB on this roster and I don't see any takers in a trade. He really hasn't shown anything to justify a deal.

As for Snell, with Tomlin, he will justify keeping him by the fact he outproduced Edmunds in game 4 of the preseason. Along with the 2 receptions.

Finally Artie Burns looked bad, very bad against meh QB's/WR's but will make the team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bush...tough call, but it did make sense to play him some in this game as he's only seen 2 games prior to this one...Idk how long he played, but I expected at least a qtr.

Diontae Johnson...I think he will factor this season assuming he can stay out of the trainers room. I'm actually hoping someone calls inquiring about Rogers...as mentioned with @FaCe-LeE-uS, the Bucs make sense with no good slot WRs and 4 or 5 TEs.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UDFA vs 4th rd pick.

They probably feel Edmunds has a better chance of clearing waivers because if that.
i guess, but he sure hasnt shown much, i want the best guys on the team. This team i think can suprise

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess, but he sure hasnt shown much, i want the best guys on the team. This team i think can suprise

I agree, I think everyone wants the best players on the team...personally I would want my RB3 to bring something different to the OFC if I intended to give him snaps on OFC, but in this case, we have 3 big RBs...Connors and Samuels have a little more wiggle than Snell or Edmunds but all have a similar profile.

The PS thing though does make sense because the only way we're going to see much of the RB3 on OFC on this team is because of injury so getting your 3 to the PS does have some value.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I think everyone wants the best players on the team...personally I would want my RB3 to bring something different to the OFC if I intended to give him snaps on OFC, but in this case, we have 3 big RBs...Connors and Samuels have a little more wiggle than Snell or Edmunds but all have a similar profile.

The PS thing though does make sense because the only way we're going to see much of the RB3 on OFC on this team is because of injury so getting your 3 to the PS does have some value.
is edmunds PS eligible? but even at that, i feel like the 3 is still gonna get a few touches on gameday, and special teams, which edmunds is vastly more valuable.

But we do know Mr. Tomlin. He will not admit defeat with draft picks, like other coaches, 4/5 were bad picks as of now

both writers at steelers depot echo your sentiment

Bryan: 2019 Steelers 53-Man Roster Prediction: Final Edition - Steelers Depot

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is edmunds PS eligible? but even at that, i feel like the 3 is still gonna get a few touches on gameday, and special teams, which edmunds is vastly more valuable.

But we do know Mr. Tomlin. He will not admit defeat with draft picks, like other coaches, 4/5 were bad picks as of now

both writers at steelers depot echo your sentiment

Bryan: 2019 Steelers 53-Man Roster Prediction: Final Edition - Steelers Depot

I don't think MT is really unique in that regard...the pick is going to get the benefit of doubt most of the time. Pete Carroll is one of the few HCs that will keep/play the best player regardless of draft status or even FA status if the less heralded player proves he belongs on the field.

I guess Ridley was the RB3 the last two yrs...30 or less touches.

I'd rather a small fast twitch guy than all 3 being the same size/type of runner...I guess that's why I'm not too concerned which one makes it...not likely to get enough touches to make an impact. I do agree about ST though and if Snell can't give them much there, he won't get a helmet thus why have him on the 53 over a guy that can give you something on ST.