• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRESEASON THREAD

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to get really confused on the whole Bell situation. At first they reported a Lisfranc injury, and media said it would be 6-8 weeks before he could return. Then more reports surfaced saying he will likely be out for the entire season. And now I'm reading that it has been reevaluated as a minor foot sprain in the arch of his foot. And now the timetable seems to be a lot sooner than what was originally expected. For the time being he is considered "day by day" in Tomlin's usual words. Which is very interesting to me, because that usually means in worst case scenario he will only miss a few weeks.

Does anyone have any clarity to this situation? I know the team sent his MRI's somewhere to have a second/third opinion, but I have yet to hear anything about that. Since Bell has not been put on PUP or IR yet, I'm assuming they are still meeting with doctors. But that also could mean that the injury is not as bad as the media has blown it up to be...

Just read he won't need surgery and has a foot sprain. He is in a boot and crutches and should be back before the "out 6 weeks" as previously stated. However Tomlin doesn't want to rush him or put a time table on his return. Bell said he can actually put weight on his foot, yesterday he could not. He is smart enough not to rush his injury and play hurt while causing more issues down the road. So it looks better than previous stated. (according to ESPN).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea it's smart. I'm glad to hear that he'll be back sooner than all those people saying he's likely out for the entire season.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers picked up Felix Jones from the Eagles for Adrien Robinson.

I like this move. Jones is not what he was and he is injury prone, but he has WAY more talent than either Redman or Dwyer. If the Steelers use him for 2 of every 3 series that may help to keep him healthy. He can also be an asset in the passing game.

I don't know how much he has left, but I think it is definitely worth the shot. We know Dwyer and Redman are not the answer.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers picked up Felix Jones from the Eagles for Adrien Robinson.

I like this move. Jones is not what he was and he is injury prone, but he has WAY more talent than either Redman or Dwyer. If the Steelers use him for 2 of every 3 series that may help to keep him healthy. He can also be an asset in the passing game.

I don't know how much he has left, but I think it is definitely worth the shot. We know Dwyer and Redman are not the answer.

He's more explosive, or he used to be than both Redman & Dwyer...the problem I have is idk what he his now...that said I'd love to see him turn back the clock.

Ghoonsquad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into camp RB was viewed as a position we were stacked at. Now a foot injury has us trading for a Cowboys old soft back. So all this hype about our backs and depth blah blah blah was basically based in a rookie? I get the feeling we are getting a bit desperate maybe. And how deep were we if a foot injury means trades need to be made?

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could fit into our system give him a shot we don't have much to lose in pre season

Exactly. We know that Redman and Dwyer are not good enough. Jones' ability probably fits the Steelers new Z-blocking scheme better than what Jones played with in Dallas. He was never a between the tackles, hit the hole type of runner.

In a system where he gets to choose his lane and cutback, he could work out alright. It's just a matter of how much he has left in the tank, and if that speed still remains.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I am so tired of the Steelers picking up old vets that are almost out the door. Ghoon said it right, I also think they are desperate but also understand being strapped for cash.

Before people give me crap, hear me out first. They pick up Gay, what will he do? They pick up Speight, now he is injured. They pick up Burress, now he is injured. Sandwich has always been a terrible QB and was so clumsy he falls in the end zone and got injured.

Is this a curse or what? I am just shaking my head. I do hope Jones stays healthy!!!!

Ghoonsquad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not bring in the often injured Beanie Wells to round out the MASH unit that is our backfield? What is he to busy at the Akron pigly wiggly to come help us out?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the 3rd preseason game...

1) The O-line looked a lot better in all phases. Run blocking continues to be their strong suit, but the pass blocking is getting a lot better. There is still a lot of room to grow, but that can be assumed given their youth.
2) Penalties killed them tonight. Lots of shitty calls by the officials though.
3) Finally we got a taste of what the regular season will look like. If any of yinz didn't know, Tomlin implemented a game plan for the game. Which he never usually does for preseason football. It was still "watered down" but at least we got a better look!
4) All the (healthy) rookies continue to impress! I'm starting to become quite the fan of Derek Moye. I'm still holding my breath waiting for word on Jarvis. :pray:
5) Cortez's return gave our secondary quite the boost. He looked solid tonight. The only thing I didn't quite like was his zone cushion was about 4 yards too deep (~12yds back). He lined up too far back which made it easy for Bowe & Co. to get easy 5-yard out routes.
6) SPECIAL TEAMS!!! It's hard to pin a bad ST play on one guy, but Victorian should have made that tackle. I didn't see who missed their block on the blocked FG or if it was just a good play. But I hope Danny Smith starts coming up with answers, because ST continues to be a recurring negative.

First round of cuts are just around the corner! Hopefully we can get out of the preseason without any more injuries.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the 3rd preseason game...

1) The O-line looked a lot better in all phases. Run blocking continues to be their strong suit, but the pass blocking is getting a lot better. There is still a lot of room to grow, but that can be assumed given their youth.
2) Penalties killed them tonight. Lots of shitty calls by the officials though.
3) Finally we got a taste of what the regular season will look like. If any of yinz didn't know, Tomlin implemented a game plan for the game. Which he never usually does for preseason football. It was still "watered down" but at least we got a better look!
4) All the (healthy) rookies continue to impress! I'm starting to become quite the fan of Derek Moye. I'm still holding my breath waiting for word on Jarvis. :pray:
5) Cortez's return gave our secondary quite the boost. He looked solid tonight. The only thing I didn't quite like was his zone cushion was about 4 yards too deep (~12yds back). He lined up too far back which made it easy for Bowe & Co. to get easy 5-yard out routes.
6) SPECIAL TEAMS!!! It's hard to pin a bad ST play on one guy, but Victorian should have made that tackle. I didn't see who missed their block on the blocked FG or if it was just a good play. But I hope Danny Smith starts coming up with answers, because ST continues to be a recurring negative.

First round of cuts are just around the corner! Hopefully we can get out of the preseason without any more injuries.

we definitely looked better last night and I too am liking moye

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. We know that Redman and Dwyer are not good enough. Jones' ability probably fits the Steelers new Z-blocking scheme better than what Jones played with in Dallas. He was never a between the tackles, hit the hole type of runner.

In a system where he gets to choose his lane and cutback, he could work out alright. It's just a matter of how much he has left in the tank, and if that speed still remains.

I thought jones did a good job last night ..given he didnt have much time to learn many plays.. I would say he did pretty well

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am liking the D. Timmons and Allen did very well. As for the O, Dwyer did a lot better. If they can keep this up, they have a good chance. I am still liking Wheaton more and more. Paulson is a great target at TE if Ben should target him like he did with Heath, look out.

As for the QB position, I think Wilson is gone leaving Jones and Grad. I am still not sold on Grad yet, but Jones needs more work. Over all, good stuff. Oh I forgot, what BS official calling. This seems to be the norm.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Make Roster Moves; Trim Roster to 75

Posted 12 hours ago

The Steelers made 15 roster moves today, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 75 players prior to Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

The Steelers have placed linebacker Sean Spence on the team’s Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) List. In addition, the team has placed offensive guard Justin Cheadle and cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on the team’s Waived/Injured List.

The Steelers have released offensive tackle D’Anthony Batiste, running back Baron Batch, offensive tackle Mike Farrell, wide receiver David Gilreath, wide receiver Tyler Shaw, cornerback Ryan Steed, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, tight end Peter Tuitupou, quarterback John Parker Wilson, wide receiver J.D. Woods and running back Jeremy Wright.

The Steelers have also placed rookie defensive end Nick Williams on the Reserve/Injured List.

The Steelers conclude their preseason slate at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Bank of America Stadium.

Pittsburgh must reduce its roster to 53 players by Saturday at 6 p.m

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into camp RB was viewed as a position we were stacked at. Now a foot injury has us trading for a Cowboys old soft back. So all this hype about our backs and depth blah blah blah was basically based in a rookie? I get the feeling we are getting a bit desperate maybe. And how deep were we if a foot injury means trades need to be made?

Depth...I don't think they were going to keep Dwyer & Redman initially...but with Bell out for a while, Redman nicked (as usual). Howling nicked as well, that leaves only 2 healthy RBs on the 53 (Dwyer, Batch) so they had to sign somebody.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posted 12 hours ago

The Steelers made 15 roster moves today, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 75 players prior to Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

The Steelers have placed linebacker Sean Spence on the team’s Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform (PUP) List. In addition, the team has placed offensive guard Justin Cheadle and cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on the team’s Waived/Injured List.

The Steelers have released offensive tackle D’Anthony Batiste, running back Baron Batch, offensive tackle Mike Farrell, wide receiver David Gilreath, wide receiver Tyler Shaw, cornerback Ryan Steed, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, tight end Peter Tuitupou, quarterback John Parker Wilson, wide receiver J.D. Woods and running back Jeremy Wright.

The Steelers have also placed rookie defensive end Nick Williams on the Reserve/Injured List.

The Steelers conclude their preseason slate at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Bank of America Stadium.

Pittsburgh must reduce its roster to 53 players by Saturday at 6 p.m

With the RB situation I'm surprised Batch was trimmed this early.

Ghoonsquad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth...I don't think they were going to keep Dwyer & Redman initially...but with Bell out for a while, Redman nicked (as usual). Howling nicked as well, that leaves only 2 healthy RBs on the 53 (Dwyer, Batch) so they had to sign somebody.

I get they needed somebody but if we are going out to get injury prone backs to replace our injury prone backs. Than I would suggest the often injured B.Wells who is better than Jones anyway.:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get they needed somebody but if we are going out to get injury prone backs to replace our injury prone backs. Than I would suggest the often injured B.Wells who is better than Jones anyway.:suds:

good point...maybe they don't need RBs as badly as we think...Batch didn't make the cut down to 75....I'm surprised.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a stupid question. For the players the Steelers picked up in the off season for one year and are now injured (i.e. Speight, Burress, etc.) can they be cut and would they still get paid?