• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Predict the Top 10 P5 Teams of the Decade

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had several discussions recently about how cyclical college football is, and how there's turnover every decade as dominant teams fall and lower tier teams rise. Not necessarily in order, who do you think are the top 10 teams of this decade?

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oregon
Georgia
Florida
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Florida State

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting Florida State in there, even at 10 is bold
I like Norvell as a HC. I think his style will fit well down there. I also have no faith that Miami is going to right the ship any time soon, so I think recruiting will pick back up with him. The ACC is also in shambles outside of Clemson, and while I think UNC is going to improve, Mack Brown realistically only has a few more years left. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see FSU go back to winning 9-10 games a year.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've had several discussions recently about how cyclical college football is, and how there's turnover every decade as dominant teams fall and lower tier teams rise. Not necessarily in order, who do you think are the top 10 teams of this decade?

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oregon
Georgia
Florida
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Florida State

Decent chance Florida State and/or Miami rebounds given the state of the ACC. Minnesota seems like the odd pick there. They simply haven't shown they can recruit well enough to consistently be a top 10 team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama
OU
Ohio State
Clemson
Texas
Michigan
Wisconsin
Florida
Georgia
LSU

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decent chance Florida State and/or Miami rebounds given the state of the ACC. Minnesota seems like the odd pick there. They simply haven't shown they can recruit well enough to consistently be a top 10 team.
I'm admittedly pro-PJ Fleck. While his recruiting isn't elite yet, it's definitely improved over what it was before he got there. They had one class that was even top 50 for the decade before he got there. 2 of his last 3 have been in the mid-30s, and his 2021 class is currently sitting at 15th. It's going to be a process given the program was horrible for most of the 2000s before he got there (they were 70th in the nation in winning percentage from 2000-2016), but he seems to have them on the upswing. Gotta have a wildcard, right?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm admittedly pro-PJ Fleck. While his recruiting isn't elite yet, it's definitely improved over what it was before he got there. They had one class that was even top 50 for the decade before he got there. 2 of his last 3 have been in the mid-30s, and his 2021 class is currently sitting at 15th. It's going to be a process given the program was horrible for most of the 2000s before he got there (they were 70th in the nation in winning percentage from 2000-2016), but he seems to have them on the upswing. Gotta have a wildcard, right?

Can they keep him though?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No USC so far. That has to be embarrassing to think that they are pretty much currently an afterthought. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get back.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson
Georgia
Ohio St
LSU
Oklahoma
Washington
Wisconsin
NDSU*
Alabama
Minnesota

First team out = Penn St. Can't be Top 10 if you can never beat your Div rival.

* Ok, this is actually Oregon. Just got to mess with Oregon boy, lol.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC, Michigan, and Texas make home run hires in the first few years of the decade and ascend back to their glory years. Frost finally brings the bugeaters back to national relevancy. Miami and Florida State turn things around only because Clemson goes in the post Dabo shitter and the ACC stays crappy. Auburn deflates the Gus bus and comes steamrolling the last five years of the decade. UCLA finally finds someone able to sell Westwood chicks to 18 year olds with permanent boners. Cookie Monster forgoes a lot of his salary to outbid everyone in the country for high dollar assistants and lets them do their thing. Paying players begins and Oklahoma State receives the entire Pickens assets to purchase the best recruits. Bama, Ohio State and Oklahoma make some John L. Smith type hires and plunge into a 10 year extended funk.

So.....
USC
Michigan
Texas
Nebraska
Miami
Florida State
Auburn
UCLA
LSU
Oklahoma State

There you have it. And, I probably won't be alive in 2030 for all you assholes to make fun of my list.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oregon
Georgia
Florida
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Florida State

Hard to have a list without USC. They should be able to fall out of bed and have a top 20 class. I know they are currently in the 60's, but no way that continues. I would replace one of the B1G West teams. I also think two SEC West teams is more likely than two SEC East teams. LSU, Auburn, Miami all have a shot at being in there. Texas and Michigan have a shot, but I'm just not seeing it, I think we will still be say "Is X back" 10 years from now. There is probably a G5 that will have a UCF, Boise decade, but no idea who that is going to be. There is probably somebody in the P5 leagues that we are not talking about, but they are probably on the fringe now, like a Minnesota, I just don't think it's Minnesota.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to have a list without USC. They should be able to fall out of bed and have a top 20 class. I know they are currently in the 60's, but no way that continues. I would replace one of the B1G West teams. I also think two SEC West teams is more likely than two SEC East teams. LSU, Auburn, Miami all have a shot at being in there. Texas and Michigan have a shot, but I'm just not seeing it, I think we will still be say "Is X back" 10 years from now. There is probably a G5 that will have a UCF, Boise decade, but no idea who that is going to be. There is probably somebody in the P5 leagues that we are not talking about, but they are probably on the fringe now, like a Minnesota, I just don't think it's Minnesota.
Going into the 2010s, people would've probably thought USC was a lock top 10, if not top 5. Then weren't even top 20 in the last decade in winning percentage, and while they should be able to get top recruits with ease, they're not. I don't think Oregon is going away, and several other top schools - OSU, Clemson, Alabama - are building pipelines to the West Coast. Until they figure out their HC spot, I have no faith in them.

LSU was the hardest one to leave out, but even with last year, I still don't trust Orgeron long-term. Before last year, he had only won double digit games once in 8 years as a head coach, and while last year as impressive, it was a perfect storm. It's also going to buy him more time, and I doubt he replicates anywhere near that level of success.

Texas is still dealing with dumbass Tom Herman and has no team identity and no semblance of consistency. Auburn is in the same boat with Malzahn. Miami is a dumpster fire. The longer Harbaugh is at michigan, the less faith I have in him. I don't think he lasts more than 2-3 more years, and I don't exactly trust their track record with head coaches.

No G5's, this was just for P5.

Minnesota is my wildcard team who seems to be on the rise. If Fleck leaves, obviously the deal's off. However, if he decides this is his home and he wants to be a legacy HC, I could easily see them be a perennial top 10-15 team, maybe even win the B1GW a few times and makes some major bowls.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going into the 2010s, people would've probably thought USC was a lock top 10, if not top 5. Then weren't even top 20 in the last decade in winning percentage, and while they should be able to get top recruits with ease, they're not. I don't think Oregon is going away, and several other top schools - OSU, Clemson, Alabama - are building pipelines to the West Coast. Until they figure out their HC spot, I have no faith in them.

LSU was the hardest one to leave out, but even with last year, I still don't trust Orgeron long-term. Before last year, he had only won double digit games once in 8 years as a head coach, and while last year as impressive, it was a perfect storm. It's also going to buy him more time, and I doubt he replicates anywhere near that level of success.

Texas is still dealing with dumbass Tom Herman and has no team identity and no semblance of consistency. Auburn is in the same boat with Malzahn. Miami is a dumpster fire. The longer Harbaugh is at michigan, the less faith I have in him. I don't think he lasts more than 2-3 more years, and I don't exactly trust their track record with head coaches.

No G5's, this was just for P5.

Minnesota is my wildcard team who seems to be on the rise. If Fleck leaves, obviously the deal's off. However, if he decides this is his home and he wants to be a legacy HC, I could easily see them be a perennial top 10-15 team, maybe even win the B1GW a few times and makes some major bowls.

I think what you said about Minnesota you could say about all those teams. I think USC is a sleeping giant. Southern California is West Coast recruiting. Clay is not the answer, he should have been fired this year, but with a competent coach, they are an instant contender. Texas should be the same way. I had little respect for Coach Cookie Monster going into the season, but he showed me two things, he is willing to let good coaches coach, and he can recruit. Coach O will do well when he has good people around him and he is bringing in talent. It's like being in a division with Ohio State though, you are always behind the 8-ball. Texas, Auburn and Miami are all a great coaching hire away from a return, same with FSU. I feel like if Harbaugh can't do it at Michigan, nobody can, but maybe it's just Harbaugh that can't do it at Michigan.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't they be able to?

Because you're paying him 3.5 million and there are several schools out there were co-ordinators are make $2 million + and 3.5 doesn't put him in the top 25.

There is a reason PJ's buyout clause starts low and drops significantly each year.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you're paying him 3.5 million and there are several schools out there were co-ordinators are make $2 million + and 3.5 doesn't put him in the top 25.

There is a reason PJ's buyout clause starts low and drops significantly each year.

LOL, apparently you missed the part where he got like a million dollar raise, which puts him comfortably in the Top 25.

Oh, that doesn't include how he garnered a $375,000 bonus for 2019, over and above his base salary.

You probably also missed the part where he just got the gift of a brand new 150+ million dollar Practice Facility/Student Village/Leadership Center to help him with recruiting.

He bought a house on Lake Minnetonka, got a boat, really likes it here in Minnesota, and more importantly, his wife LOVES IT here.

And fans are already talking about how they hope his contract is renegotiated next year, AGAIN.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what you said about Minnesota you could say about all those teams. I think USC is a sleeping giant. Southern California is West Coast recruiting. Clay is not the answer, he should have been fired this year, but with a competent coach, they are an instant contender. Texas should be the same way. I had little respect for Coach Cookie Monster going into the season, but he showed me two things, he is willing to let good coaches coach, and he can recruit. Coach O will do well when he has good people around him and he is bringing in talent. It's like being in a division with Ohio State though, you are always behind the 8-ball. Texas, Auburn and Miami are all a great coaching hire away from a return, same with FSU. I feel like if Harbaugh can't do it at Michigan, nobody can, but maybe it's just Harbaugh that can't do it at Michigan.
And that should be the case with USC, but since Pete Carroll left, they've made horrible coaching decisions, so until they prove they've finally made the right one, it's hard to trust them. Same thing with Texas and Mack Brown.

I may be wrong, but I don't feel like FSU is as far off as Miami. They're only 5 years removed from a CFP berth, and 6 years removed from a NC, while Miami hasn't been even close to being elite in over 15 years. Auburn is due, but are they looking to move on from Malzahn?

Harbaugh is a mediocre coach, plain and simple. He has name recognition, which has helped in recruiting, along with the michigan brand and resources. However, once it comes to gameday, he's a joke.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3