• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That label has always felt a little ridiculous, but it's probably helped them receive coverage as if they're relevant in this era of not so great Cowboys football.

That's the shame. They didn't need it when NFL Films and Tex Schramm first came up with it in 1979... and they sure as hell don't need it now.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the shame. They didn't need it when NFL Films and Tex Schramm first came up with it in 1979... and they sure as hell don't need it now.

Schramm didn't come up with the idea. Rob Ryan from NFL Films first brought the idea to Pittsburgh but Art Rooney turned it down. Ryan than brought it to a Schramm who figured his young team could use the publicity. Initially Landry was against the name thinking it would make other team play harder when they faced the Cowboys

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schramm didn't come up with the idea. Rob Ryan from NFL Films first brought the idea to Pittsburgh but Art Rooney turned it down. Ryan than brought it to a Schramm who figured his young team could use the publicity. Initially Landry was against the name thinking it would make other team play harder when they faced the Cowboys

Well it certainly has provided a lot of interesting fodder for rival teams to be sure...:D

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it certainly has provided a lot of interesting fodder for rival teams to be sure...:D

This tale has taken a life of its own over the years and no long time Dallas fan as tooted that horn for near twenty years now....YET, Dallas remains the most popular team always finishing at the top or very near in merchandizing, ratings and overall team interest. Year after year after year. I don't think that's jerry, That's the seal of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. That's all the great players and coaches that formed a winning tradition darn near from the start of their existence in this league. That's 20 consecutive winning seasons, that's 8 super bowl appearances in the first 28 super games, the interest still lives today. I laugh at Washington fans screaming from the hill tops that Dallas is nothing but 90% band wagon fans....and saying this over and over two/three years ago. Band wagon fans of mediocrity for 15 years now I guess....OR perhaps on of America's Favorite Sports teams, even now. Say's a lot about what the Dallas Cowboys remains towards the brand for professional football

Oh well.......it is what it is

Last edited by a moderator:

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Landry ever bought into it. Matter of fact, he pretty much loathed it. Ran counter to everything he stood for in the NFL.

Schramm loved it though. He was always a PR guy and got the potential.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tale has taken a life of its own over the years and no long time Dallas fan as tooted that horn for near twenty years now....YET, Dallas remains the most popular team always finishing at the top or very near in merchandizing, ratings and overall team interest. Year after year after year. I don't think that's jerry, That's the seal of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. That's all the great players and coaches that formed a winning tradition darn near from the start of their existence in this league. That's 20 consecutive winning seasons, that's 8 super bowl appearances in the first 28 super games, the interest still lives today. I laugh at Washington fans screaming from the hill tops that Dallas is nothing but 90% band wagon fans....and saying this over and over two/three years ago. Band wagon fans of mediocrity for 15 years now I guess....OR perhaps on of America's Favorite Sports teams, even now. Say's a lot about what the Dallas Cowboys remains towards the brand for professional football

Oh well.......it is what it is

I've never said that (and I know you're not aiming that at me PDay) and I don't think it's true. Just as I'll riposte by responding that the Washington Franchise doesn't do a poor job in net worth either for a franchise that has done a HELL of a lot worse than the boys for 20 + years. That's brand loyalty at it's best in my eyes.

Ya know I agree with your take, tho I hardly consider myself obsessed with the boys in any other way than as the division rival that is sweetest to beat.

I do freely admit I love the rivalry, respectful trash talking and banter amongst boys and skins fans and I do wish for a return of the days of both teams being good simultaneously. It is good for the league and our division to have strong rivalries intact.

I also freely admit that the boys are the most satisfying win in the division for me personally but thats due more to my age and historical perspective of the rivalry from days when it was truly fun to watch and be a part of...both sides, skins and boys fans.. That's the oldster in me talking. :suds:

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Landry ever bought into it. Matter of fact, he pretty much loathed it. Ran counter to everything he stood for in the NFL.

Schramm loved it though. He was always a PR guy and got the potential.

I would have liked to hear the the conversation if the NFL had tried to tell Landry he had to wear NFL licensed gear on the sidelines...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said that (and I know you're not aiming that at me PDay) and I don't think it's true. Just as I'll riposte by responding that the Washington Franchise doesn't do a poor job in net worth either for a franchise that has done a HELL of a lot worse than the boys for 20 + years. That's brand loyalty at it's best in my eyes.

Ya know I agree with your take, tho I hardly consider myself obsessed with the boys in any other way than as the division rival that is sweetest to beat.

I do freely admit I love the rivalry, respectful trash talking and banter amongst boys and skins fans and I do wish for a return of the days of both teams being good simultaneously. It is good for the league and our division to have strong rivalries intact.

I also freely admit that the boys are the most satisfying win in the division for me personally but thats due more to my age and historical perspective of the rivalry from days when it was truly fun to watch and be a part of...both sides, skins and boys fans.. That's the oldster in me talking. :suds:
how bout ratings? You see the same similarity here between the boys and skins?

I'd also tell you Cali that Dallas is the most satisfying division win each and every year for the eagles, Gmen and skins....sorry, I see very little comparison between Dallas & Washington

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked to hear the the conversation if the NFL had tried to tell Landry he had to wear NFL licensed gear on the sidelines...

Yeah... I'm not feeling him caving in to that even if Reebok started selling fedora hats.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said, the best win every year is the most recent win against one of our East rivals.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my favorite espn redskin poster was Ghost of JKC.....something like that. I just referred to him as Ghost. Respected his football views on all things Dallas/Washington except his constant hammering of Dallas being mostly band wagon fans. Always scratched my head on that one.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how bout ratings? You see the same similarity here between the boys and skins?

I'd also tell you Cali that Dallas is the most satisfying division win each and every year for the eagles, Gmen and skins....sorry, I see very little comparison between Dallas & Washington

As is your right to. No prob from me on that point. Dallas is the team people love to hate, in and out of the division. Wouldn't want that label for my team anyways. Thing is, to me - it's about relevancy from the dominance in the 90s for y'all, not about current relevance, but that's just my take:noidea:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As is your right to. No prob from me on that point. Dallas is the team people love to hate, in and out of the division. Wouldn't want that label for my team anyways. Thing is, to me - it's about relevancy from the dominance in the 90s for y'all, not about current relevance, but that's just my take:noidea:

1. Really? I woulda thought every NFL football fan would welcome the apparent relevance of such a title. Especially after years of mediocrity.

2. Really?....twenty years later and it just that 5/6 year run to you.

no correct answer, like you, this is just my take. :suds:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Really? I woulda thought every NFL football fan would welcome the apparent relevance of such a title. Especially after years of mediocrity.

2. Really?....twenty years later and it just that 5/6 year run to you.

no correct answer, like you, this is just my take. :suds:

I agree with ya PDay :suds:

Just different takes. Respect.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is that if the Cowboys only got 6 wins a season, I'd want those 6 to be over the

1) Redskins, Eagles and Giants

In that order...

Much the same for me but

1) Boys, Eagles, and Giants. :suds:

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be you...last year shoulda been darn near the pinnacle for ya then.

Far from it, you must have me confused with someone else.

The pinnacle would be to win the division, take the NFC championship and then win the Super Bowl.

I'm from the old school to prepare for and expect to win every game.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much the same for me but

1) Boys, Eagles, and Giants. :suds:

LOL...since we're throwing out hot sports opinions.

I'd say you are the norm for Washington fans where Dallas week is darn near a holiday week and the cowboy fan represents mush less the norm of long standing cowboy fan views.