• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playoff Hunt - 2021

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are currently 6-5, and in position for the 2nd WC spot (out of 3 total WCs, as of now LAR, 49ers, and WFT).

Our remaining schedule:
At Seahawks
At Bengals
Falcons
At Titans
Texans
At Rams

10 wins almost certainly guarantees us a playoff spot. That means we need to win at least 4 of the last 6 games. The good news for the Niners is that 4 of our last 6 opponents are in the bottom 10 teams in sacks allowed (Seattle 35, Titans 33, Texans 31, Bengals 30).

Right now, Seattle is reeling, coming off their 3rd straight loss, and even though they're at home, they'll be playing on a short week. Wilson hasn't been himself this season, as the new offense has struggled and Wilson was rushed back from injury. Seattle has given up the 3rd most sacks of any team this season. This is a pure trap game that we cannot afford to lose.

The road trip to Cincy got a little easier on the Niners b/c it was moved from an early kickoff (for westcoasters) to the 2nd Sunday game. However, Cincy is playing really well, currently 6th in points scored (13th in yds), and 6th in scoring defense (13th in yds allowed). They have a top 5 run defense and a strong running game, but they are a bottom 10 team in sacks allowed. We better hope our D can hold up b/c we'll have to work hard for any points scored.

The Falcons are 5-6, but they rank near the bottom of the league in Off and Def. All 5 of their wins have been by 7 points or less, with 3 of those wins coming against the Jags, Jets, and NYG. This is a game we should win, particularly since we're at home--though the 9ers have stunk at home.

The roadtrip to Tennessee will be very interesting. They're 8-4, having beaten the Chiefs, Bills, Rams and Colts twice. They are GOOD, largely b/c they are 5th in rushing yards and 7th in rushing yards allowed. They are set up to stop what the Niners do best. However, it is worth noting that half of their wins--4--have come by 3 points or less. So, we're probably in for a close game.

The Texans are a mess, but have had a few games where they surprise teams, so we can't overlook them.

The last Ram game will be interesting b/c LAR might have their playoff seed locked up at that point and could be resting players. Even if they don't, for some reason, the Niners seem to match up well with LA, seeing as how we've beaten then 5 straight times. We can't take that for granted, but it is a comforting trend. Let's hope our playoff lives doesn't come down to the last week of the season.

We control our own destiny in terms of the playoff race. Hopefully we get some players back healthy and a few bounces go our way.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are currently 6-5, and in position for the 2nd WC spot (out of 3 total WCs, as of now LAR, 49ers, and WFT).

Our remaining schedule:
At Seahawks
At Bengals
Falcons
At Titans
Texans
At Rams

10 wins almost certainly guarantees us a playoff spot. That means we need to win at least 4 of the last 6 games. The good news for the Niners is that 4 of our last 6 opponents are in the bottom 10 teams in sacks allowed (Seattle 35, Titans 33, Texans 31, Bengals 30).

Right now, Seattle is reeling, coming off their 3rd straight loss, and even though they're at home, they'll be playing on a short week. Wilson hasn't been himself this season, as the new offense has struggled and Wilson was rushed back from injury. Seattle has given up the 3rd most sacks of any team this season. This is a pure trap game that we cannot afford to lose.

The road trip to Cincy got a little easier on the Niners b/c it was moved from an early kickoff (for westcoasters) to the 2nd Sunday game. However, Cincy is playing really well, currently 6th in points scored (13th in yds), and 6th in scoring defense (13th in yds allowed). They have a top 5 run defense and a strong running game, but they are a bottom 10 team in sacks allowed. We better hope our D can hold up b/c we'll have to work hard for any points scored.

The Falcons are 5-6, but they rank near the bottom of the league in Off and Def. All 5 of their wins have been by 7 points or less, with 3 of those wins coming against the Jags, Jets, and NYG. This is a game we should win, particularly since we're at home--though the 9ers have stunk at home.

The roadtrip to Tennessee will be very interesting. They're 8-4, having beaten the Chiefs, Bills, Rams and Colts twice. They are GOOD, largely b/c they are 5th in rushing yards and 7th in rushing yards allowed. They are set up to stop what the Niners do best. However, it is worth noting that half of their wins--4--have come by 3 points or less. So, we're probably in for a close game.

The Texans are a mess, but have had a few games where they surprise teams, so we can't overlook them.

The last Ram game will be interesting b/c LAR might have their playoff seed locked up at that point and could be resting players. Even if they don't, for some reason, the Niners seem to match up well with LA, seeing as how we've beaten then 5 straight times. We can't take that for granted, but it is a comforting trend. Let's hope our playoff lives doesn't come down to the last week of the season.

We control our own destiny in terms of the playoff race. Hopefully we get some players back healthy and a few bounces go our way.
That's the good part, we can control our own destiny from here on. Yes, the schedule does look favorable overall but you never know 'on any given Sunday'? I think 5-1 is asking a little too much, while 4-2 is reasonable. I'm about 50/50 we go 4-2, ie not confident by any means.

Russell Wilson is uncharacteristically "off"?! Would help a ton if he continues this play one more week. :-)

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9-8 is gonna get in. Maybe even 8-9 since so many if the 4 to 6 win teams play each other the rest of the way. You guys should be fine

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
9-8 is gonna get in. Maybe even 8-9 since so many if the 4 to 6 win teams play each other the rest of the way. You guys should be fine
Obviously i hope your right, cause the odds of winning 3 more games increases over 4 (ok duh!). But on the other hand, we didn't think we'd lose four in a row either! :-(

Good point on if Wildcard contenders play each other, maybe they keep themselves below 0.500?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously i hope your right, cause the odds of winning 3 more games increases over 4 (ok duh!). But on the other hand, we didn't think we'd lose four in a row either! :-(

Good point on if Wildcard contenders play each other, maybe they keep themselves below 0.500?
Atl still plays

NO
Car
SF

Philly and Wa⁴sh play twice and they each play NY

Minn and Chicago still play twice

Saints still play Atl and Carolina

Etc etc

You guys already bave the tiebreaker over Philly and Minny and you get Atl at home

So youre actually in really really good shape being a game up and having the tiebreaker over 2 of the 3 teams already a game back

The Atl/SF game is actiallt sneaky big. Atl still has Det, NO at home and Car with their 3rd string QB so they SHOULD win those 3 making that SF gane huge for both and tiebreaker reasons

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost Warner and Samuel for multiple games. We are done.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We "should" make it to the dance. But I'm not ready to look past our next game with this team yet. It certainly looks like they've gotten their act together and are shaking off that early-year adversity. From here on out, it's playoff football, so they'll be grizzled and ready should they get in.

Crazy as it may sound, I'd be more concerned with losing Mitchell versus Deebo right now. You can't replace Deebo, but Mitchell/Wilson running the ball, and Aiyuk/Jennings stepping up could offset some of what's bound to be lost.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Atl still plays

NO
Car
SF

Philly and Wa⁴sh play twice and they each play NY

Minn and Chicago still play twice

Saints still play Atl and Carolina

Etc etc

You guys already bave the tiebreaker over Philly and Minny and you get Atl at home

So youre actually in really really good shape being a game up and having the tiebreaker over 2 of the 3 teams already a game back

The Atl/SF game is actiallt sneaky big. Atl still has Det, NO at home and Car with their 3rd string QB so they SHOULD win those 3 making that SF gane huge for both and tiebreaker reasons
Ok good, well laid out so yes, we ARE in good shape.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We lost Warner and Samuel for multiple games. We are done.
It certainly doesn't help but we're not done. all teams have injuries too, we can't rely on this excuse.

last season's injury issues were excessive, and long term type injuries, but these two cases aren't enough excuses.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We "should" make it to the dance. But I'm not ready to look past our next game with this team yet. It certainly looks like they've gotten their act together and are shaking off that early-year adversity. From here on out, it's playoff football, so they'll be grizzled and ready should they get in.

Crazy as it may sound, I'd be more concerned with losing Mitchell versus Deebo right now. You can't replace Deebo, but Mitchell/Wilson running the ball, and Aiyuk/Jennings stepping up could offset some of what's bound to be lost.
We need to run the ball as the last 3 games have proved, so ok i'll take Mitchell over Deebor now. We don't need to run the ball 40 times a game, but it does need to be effective. It needs to keep the LB's closer to the LOS.

We can start to use Aiyuk, Kittle, and others a little more, but its harder to replace Mitchell.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to run the ball as the last 3 games have proved, so ok i'll take Mitchell over Deebor now. We don't need to run the ball 40 times a game, but it does need to be effective. It needs to keep the LB's closer to the LOS.

We can start to use Aiyuk, Kittle, and others a little more, but its harder to replace Mitchell.
And Kittle! How could I forget Kittle. Time to dial him up some big plays!! And Jennings, that guy seems ready to bust out (emotionally, at least).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too think we can still move the offense without Deebo. Mitchell has been very good at RB and we still have an All Pro in Kittle and Aiyuk has finally started making some big plays. Not to mention, Juice will be good for some key catches in the passing game and we really haven't seen our other TEs show up much despite Dwelley's good play in TC.

As for the playoffs, I hadn't even considered that the other teams in the WC hunt are all playing each other in the last 5 or 6 weeks--that'll really help us...as long as we win the games we should win.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I too think we can still move the offense without Deebo. Mitchell has been very good at RB and we still have an All Pro in Kittle and Aiyuk has finally started making some big plays. Not to mention, Juice will be good for some key catches in the passing game and we really haven't seen our other TEs show up much despite Dwelley's good play in TC.

As for the playoffs, I hadn't even considered that the other teams in the WC hunt are all playing each other in the last 5 or 6 weeks--that'll really help us...as long as we win the games we should win.
Yep, we now control our own destiny and that means winning. We don't have to win out but we have to win.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 49ers can go 3 and 2 the rest of the way. 9 and 8 might be enough to sneak in.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the 49ers can go 3 and 2 the rest of the way. 9 and 8 might be enough to sneak in.
Yeah, i agree 3-2 is still reasonable. Whether 9-8 gets us in or not, we'll see?

If we make this kind of mistakes against ANY team, we'll lose that game. So even Houston isn't a given.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With things looking good for our chances, OF COURSE, the Niners shit the bed and lose an ugly game they should've won.

We still have the tiebreakers over Minny and Philly. But the WFT is coming on strong and they and the Eagles are about to enter the NFC East 5 week playoff--WFT, Dallas, Eagles, and NYG all play each other several times in the next 5 weeks.

The rest of our schedule has 2 weak teams and 3 certain playoff teams. And we still need to go at least 3-2--meaning we have to beat both teh Falcons and Texans while also beating at least one of the Bengals, Titans, and Rams.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF still controls its own destiny.
-ATL is a very important game for the 9ers b/c it's very winnable and it has tiebreaker implications
-2 very tough games ahead with Titans and LAR, SF really needs to win 1 of those
-Even if SF loses another game, a win over Atlanta means SF has tiebreaker over ATL, Phily, and Minny (see below)
-Niners chances of making the playoffs still very high

WFT still controls its own destiny.
-They have to play Dallas again and Philly twice. Division games are always tough, so a loss or 2 is likely
-If WFT loses a couple, the next teams up for the final WC spot are Philly, ATL, and Minny (see above)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With things looking good for our chances, OF COURSE, the Niners shit the bed and lose an ugly game they should've won.

We still have the tiebreakers over Minny and Philly. But the WFT is coming on strong and they and the Eagles are about to enter the NFC East 5 week playoff--WFT, Dallas, Eagles, and NYG all play each other several times in the next 5 weeks.

The rest of our schedule has 2 weak teams and 3 certain playoff teams. And we still need to go at least 3-2--meaning we have to beat both teh Falcons and Texans while also beating at least one of the Bengals, Titans, and Rams.

Well alrighty then, they took a big step by beating one of the tough teams. Yeah, i felt the Bengals was going to be a TOUGH game and it was. Not only because the Bengals have good WR's, but second road game and this one went to the 'east coast'.

I don't view Atlanta nor Houston as gimmie wins by any means. Obviously, the 49ers have to continue keeping the mistakes LOW, likely asking too much?!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
SF still controls its own destiny.
-ATL is a very important game for the 9ers b/c it's very winnable and it has tiebreaker implications
-2 very tough games ahead with Titans and LAR, SF really needs to win 1 of those
-Even if SF loses another game, a win over Atlanta means SF has tiebreaker over ATL, Phily, and Minny (see below)
-Niners chances of making the playoffs still very high

WFT still controls its own destiny.
-They have to play Dallas again and Philly twice. Division games are always tough, so a loss or 2 is likely
-If WFT loses a couple, the next teams up for the final WC spot are Philly, ATL, and Minny (see above)
Yep, Atlanta is the more important win of the four remaining opponents. This is for play-off reasons only, because otherwise i hate losing to the Rams. haaaaa

Hopefully, this is the game where the rushing attack takes the lead again.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well alrighty then, they took a big step by beating one of the tough teams. Yeah, i felt the Bengals was going to be a TOUGH game and it was. Not only because the Bengals have good WR's, but second road game and this one went to the 'east coast'.

I don't view Atlanta nor Houston as gimmie wins by any means. Obviously, the 49ers have to continue keeping the mistakes LOW, likely asking too much?!
Yep, Atlanta is the more important win of the four remaining opponents. This is for play-off reasons only, because otherwise i hate losing to the Rams. haaaaa

Hopefully, this is the game where the rushing attack takes the lead again.
Beating Cincy was a BIG move toward the playoffs for us. Particularly after blowing the Seattle game. Honestly, I'm surprised we won. Watching that Cincy returnman keep muffing the ball like that gave me PTSD flashbacks of the 2011 NFC Championship Game.

If we can't beat the Texans with the playoffs just 3 weeks away, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Then again, we'll be playing against their backup QB, so he'll probably throw for 300yds and 2TDs.

This week's game against ATL might really be the biggest game we have left on the schedule. They're fighting for their playoff lives (hanging by a thread), but a win for us means even if we lose another couple of games, the tiebreakers will keep us in the playoffs b/c the only other teams in contention will be ATL, Minny, and Philly.

Just as Seattle seems to have the Niners' number, the Niners apparently have the Rams number. Something about our running game perfectly exploits their defensive front--it's weird. We gotta hope that continues or that the Rams rest their starters for that last game or both.

As for the playoffs, it's a strange year. There are only 6 teams in the conference with a winning record, and 4 or 5 teams with a losing record still have a chance at the playoffs.
--TB and GB are fighting for HFA with the loser being the 2 seed
--Barring a meltdown, Dallas has the East locked up, getting them the 3 or 4 seed
--The odds say that the Cards win the West (3 or 4 seed), with the Rams being the 5 seed
--If WFT loses 2 of their next 4 games (Philly x2, Dallas, NYG), it opens the door for Philly, ATL, and even NO