• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pistol offense and the read option

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly do you want me to back it up with? Defenses have seen it, the defense to it is as simple as "be fundamentally sound", and teams have an offseason to work on the fundamentals of an option offense. Clearly it's an opinion, but it's a sound one, and it will be demonstrated this season. Will it work against bad defenses still? Maybe. But good defenses will eat it up. You leave someone unblocked in the backfield with a free shot at your QB. When teams start defending it properly, you will be doing so without even getting much benefit out of it.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I thought, you don't really have a factual argument, only a baseless opinion that you would like to pass off as fact.

There is no evidence that teams will be able to stop it. Not a single shred. And if they want to spend all the time to try to stop something that the redskins run 8 to 10 times a game, it just opens up everything else that they do.

Redskins will phase it out if teams ever shut it down. But there isn't a single shred of evidence that is going to happen.

So I will say again, you are talking out of your ass.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem here is that a lot of folks don't understand what the read option is. Most seem to automatically think "triple option" whenever they hear "read option". The read option is NOT necessarily a "running" option. The Redskins PASSED far more often out of the read option than they ran it. The problem with the "discipline" argument, JDM is that it doesn't really matter how disciplined the defense is. That DE/OLB has to make a decision, and if the QB reads that DE/OLB's decision correctly, he does the opposite. Whatever choice the defensive player makes is wrong, which is the beauty of the offense. It is simple yet devastatingly effective.

Can defenses find a way to stop it? Maybe, I don't claim to be a defensive genius so I can't say for sure. But I do know they haven't yet.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins also disguise a lot of their regular offense. So people who don't know what they are talking about think a simple hand off is read option, when really it's a simple stretch play. Or they see Griffin take off down the field and think the coaches called it that way.

Bottom line is that things will be adjusted if they need to be. And the NFL hasn't shown they can stop it thus far.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again you dont know what you are talking about . Rg3 was injured on a standard pass play as were the others . the read option play wasnt a factor ; we run it 10 times a game at the max
this same rebuttal is posted on another site i am on. i don't get why this is so hard for media and fans to understand.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not. You are just arguing with a troll. He has no interest in facts.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again you dont know what you are talking about just because we line up in the pistol doesnt mean we ran the read option .

it didnt make it worse . i doubt we ran the read option after he was hurt

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are right

he is just a troll yapping . he doesnt understand the pistol offense , doesnt know the read option is a play and he uses the same lame arguments out of touch espn and nfl network analists use to sound smart .

when some team did find a way to stop a run or qb keep we passed . there is plenty of counters we use but this clown is much like that SIRCH character on the other board

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again you dont know what you are talking about just because we line up in the pistol doesnt mean we ran the read option .

it didnt make it worse . i doubt we ran the read option after he was hurt

Yes you did. The entire game.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with pistol. Just with wasting RG3's talent in using the read option as a significant piece to your offense.

To the idiots calling me trolls, I don't really care. I have said time and time again that RG3 can be elite if handled properly. I want to see him succeed. He is a hell of a talent. Read option wastes it.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You act like the read option is the basis of the offense, It's not. They run 10 times a game. That's a fact.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you did. The entire game.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with pistol. Just with wasting RG3's talent in using the read option as a significant piece to your offense.

To the idiots calling me trolls, I don't really care. I have said time and time again that RG3 can be elite if handled properly. I want to see him succeed. He is a hell of a talent. Read option wastes it.
are you really this obtuse?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well jdm

The Redskins and Goal-to-Go Situations - Hogs Haven

here are the facts . Rg3 had 120 rush attempts . 43 were scrambles 61 designed runs 9 kneel downs and 7 qb sneeks
the skins ran 994 plays including 33 sacks . round that up to 1000 and you get less then 1% (.61) that he ran a designed read option play at best

in the 2nd half of the playoff game Rg3 had a mere 1 rushing attempt for 9 yds on a scramble . he had only 4 more attempts in the 1st half so your second half theory is also shot :nod:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good resource, Skinsdad.

As I said, the dude is talking out of his ass.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this guy seems to be allergic to facts. You present some and he still refuses to put any substance behind his argument against the read option. That he said they continued to run it the entire game vs. Seattle highlights that fact. He's just making stuff up off the top of his head.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins and Goal-to-Go Situations - Hogs Haven

here are the facts . Rg3 had 120 rush attempts . 43 were scrambles 61 designed runs 9 kneel downs and 7 qb sneeks
the skins ran 994 plays including 33 sacks . round that up to 1000 and you get less then 1% (.61) that he ran a designed read option play at best

in the 2nd half of the playoff game Rg3 had a mere 1 rushing attempt for 9 yds on a scramble . he had only 4 more attempts in the 1st half so your second half theory is also shot :nod:
i knew it was low but damn, if that doesn't shut up the trolls nothing will about the read option.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he hasnt responded back so we will see

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was never injured on a read option play. He was injured twice this year.

1- He sustained a concussion against the Bengals on a pass play where he decided to run
2- He sustained a knee injury against the Ravens on a pass play where he decided to run

Neither one of those plays were read option plays.

Looks like when RG3 "runs" he is more likely to get injured. What's the NFL lifespan of a QB who runs 10 times a games and/or is forced out of the pocket and chooses to run?

Either way sounds bad to me and your club better have multiple "plug-n-play" QB's to handle a run option offense.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems like you dont know what you are talking about either . Rg3 ran on the read option at most 61 times out of 1000 plays . so tell me how worried do i need to be and .61 of the time again ?

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people just like to be ignorantly oblivious.