• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pistol offense and the read option

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://fanspeak.com/washingtonredsk...oint-rgiii-and-the-future-of-the-read-option/

i posted this article because sometimes these knuckle draggers come up with good points

i think we should keep the pistol offense and let Rg3 be RG3 . we drafted the kid to make plays and dont let people , crap talking dc's or the press talk you out of making your team a winner

sure coach up to throw a ball away once in awhile or slide or get out of bounds . but man the pistol offense and the read option play jerk with defenses . conventional wisdom says defenses will catch up with it but i have seen the counters to that as well

run our offense :nod:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before, I'll say it again. When you have a race horse, you don't put him behind a plow. We have a race horse in RG3. A huge part of his talent is his ability to make a play with his feet. Don't get me wrong, the guy can throw, but it is his threat to take off and pick up 20 is what strikes fear in opposing DCs. We would be foolish to take that option away and limit him. He just needs to get smarter about avoiding contact when he does run. He does that (and I believe he will), the skins will be fine.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. RG3 can be elite as a pocket passer alone, and his running ability becomes far more effective. If you continue to treat him like a running back you are screwing yourselves royally. RG3 is not set in stone as needing a bad gimmick to win. He is better than that, and your coaches should be as well.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
90% of the plays run in this offense are standard. Meaning they've been in the Shanahan playbook for years. You can see the same plays being run in the Houston offense. You saw them in Denver. Only difference is they run them from the pistol is a formation. They can run the entire playbook out of that formation. Not a gimmick.

As far as the read option goes, they run it 10 plays a game. It's very effective and also not a gimmick. It's not going anywhere, especially since teams haven't proven they can stop it. And the threat of it opens up plays in the passing game by completely freezing linebackers and safeties. And completely neutralizing the opposing teams best pass rushers on the edge. Demarcus Ware, one of the best pass rushers in the league, looked lost for example. He had no clue what to do as RG3 ran by him, handed off or passed. Teams want to focus on that? Fine. Let them do it. It opens up a lot more.

To assert that RG3 is treated like a running back is ridiculous. As is the assertion that he will get injured from it. He was injured on pass plays where protection broke down and he improvised. That could happen easily on any called pass play. All the big hits RG3 took were either in the pocket or on scrambles. Not on read option plays.

As a Patriot fan, you witnessed your own QB get a blown knee while standing like a statue in the pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont know what you are talking about when it comes to the pistol or the read option play . you have been brainwashed by the national media and their collectively poor research on the skins offense

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a count, but it sure seemed like they ran it a lot more than ten times in the second half v Seattle. If they kept him in the pocket he would have been able to survive down the stretch, as opposed to watching him tear the hell out of his knee every play.

You don't need it. If you want to watch RG3 in space, he will get far more opportunities to do so by scrambling as needed from the pocket. He is too good of a passer to run this read option shit.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. I love RG3 as an athlete and watched as much as I could of him. Read option is not a viable option as a staple of your offense, and I don't need the media to tell me so.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again you dont know what you are talking about . Rg3 was injured on a standard pass play as were the others . the read option play wasnt a factor ; we run it 10 times a game at the max

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw when he got hurt. I also saw it get worse nearly every play of the second half when they forced him to run the read option.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wasn't already injured weeks earlier it wouldn't have been an issue. I'm assuming you saw when the injury occured? Against the Ravens. It was a pass play where he had to run because the pocket broke down.

You're also ignoring my points regarding the fact that without the read option, our pass protection for RG3 in the pocket would revert to how it was the previous year. Which wasn't good at all. It's the same line. The same talent up front. Yet they were able to protect well because the read option plays neutralized pass rushers.

That part of the offense isn't going anywhere. And no, they didn't run it more than 10 times. You don't seem to have any idea what you're looking at.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was never injured on a read option play. He was injured twice this year.

1- He sustained a concussion against the Bengals on a pass play where he decided to run
2- He sustained a knee injury against the Ravens on a pass play where he decided to run

Neither one of those plays were read option plays.

If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been in the game past a certain point when it was clear that he tweaked the knee injury against Seattle, you'd have a point. But the offense you are criticizing had us up by 14 points.

But you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the read option.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Build a better line. If RG3 doesn't go down as an all time great, read option will be the reason why.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was never injured on a read option play. He was injured twice this year.

1- He sustained a concussion against the Bengals on a pass play where he decided to run
2- He sustained a knee injury against the Ravens on a pass play where he decided to run

Neither one of those plays were read option plays.

If you want to argue that he shouldn't have been in the game past a certain point when it was clear that he tweaked the knee injury, you'd have a point.

But you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the read option. Zero.

I would have kept him in. But when he was running out after pulling the ball, I watched the knee get worse every time. Shanahan should have been fired for how he handled that game. It's absolutely insane to give up as much as they did then treat him like that.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it won't be. It wasn't the reason why he was injured to begin with. If it was, then you'd have a valid point. But as things stand, you don't.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have kept him in. But when he was running out after pulling the ball, I watched the knee get worse every time. Shanahan should have been fired for how he handled that game. It's absolutely insane to give up as much as they did then treat him like that.

He shouldn't have been in the game at all after the 2nd TD where he tweaked the knee on a play where he rolled out. The mistake is that they left him in there or a terrible playing surface.

The read option has nothing to do with his injury. In fact, it protected him more than they would have been able to protect him without it.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it won't be. It wasn't the reason why he was injured to begin with. If it was, then you'd have a valid point. But as things stand, you don't.

I never said it was the reason he was injured. I said it made it far worse.

I also stated he is a better player running a real offense. Read option is not a sustainable part of an offense and he will be better without it, regardless of the fact that it also puts his body at risk. It limits him and could easily be the difference between an all time great and wasted potential.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking out of your ass.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Read option is a gimmick that will not last. He is better than the bullshit.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, you can't make a single valid argument to support that. When presented with facts, you blurt out random statements with no substance to them.

The read option is no gimmick. And it'll be around until teams prove they can stop it. And as of right now the 10 plays a game they run it keeps defenses off balance, neutralizes pass rushers and protects RG3. Let me know when you can actually make tangible arguments to support your claims.

What RG3 was able to do as a rookie, was in large part due to the scheme. And that scheme will continue to develop.