• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pistol offense and the read option

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
notice no one has responded . 2 brainwashed fans from other teams hooked on espn /nfl network nonsense from analyst who are uninformed

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
notice no one has responded . 2 brainwashed fans from other teams hooked on espn /nfl network nonsense from analyst who are uninformed
hey it got them out of this thread right? :)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that everyone thinks this is a gimmick offense, except for the 3 teams that run it... or maybe 4, now that Kansas City is adding a Pistol package. The ignorance displayed by every other fan is simply amusing to me, they realize that since they don't have RG3, Kaep, or Wilson it damn well better be a gimmick... or they don't stand a chance.

They all foolishly think that it just creates opportunities for the QB to have big runs, somehow everyone else except for us completely ignores how much it benefits the RBs... and how much it protects the QB from blind passrushing. The edge rushers are forced to hang back and stay in their lanes to keep the QB in check, so they just can't go balls out rush and force pressure at all costs.

I also find it funny that people keep saying that if the edge guys play more disciplined football it destroys the pistol... lol... that helps the pistol because while those guys are forced to hold the edge, the power running game just barreled for 5+ yards up the gut. Its no coincidence that last year Morris and Lynch had amazing years.. and Gore had a great year for a 29 year old, when most RBs suck at 29. Plus, all three of those teams finished top 5 in Rushing yards, with their RBs carrying the load, not the QB.

Sucks to be one of those 28 other teams, the ones that are banking on it being a gimmick.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People calling it a gimmick, comes from total ignorance. They don't understand football enough to consider any of that.

They look at read option and compare it to the wildcat, which WAS a gimmick. But the beauty behind the read option for Washington, San Fran and Seattle... and lets not forget Carolina... is that if you have a QB who can be a threat with his arm and his legs, it's very difficult to stop it. The reason? You can put 8-9 men up in the box to stop the run and still get beaten on the ground. And by doing that you still open yourself up to get torched in the passing game. Play action off of option fakes completely freezes linebackers and safeties.

So I say, go ahead and game plan against the read option aspects of these offenses. Please do. It'll open up so much more.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People calling it a gimmick, comes from total ignorance. They don't understand football enough to consider any of that.

They look at read option and compare it to the wildcat, which WAS a gimmick. But the beauty behind the read option for Washington, San Fran and Seattle... and lets not forget Carolina... is that if you have a QB who can be a threat with his arm and his legs, it's very difficult to stop it. The reason? You can put 8-9 men up in the box to stop the run and still get beaten on the ground. And by doing that you still open yourself up to get torched in the passing game. Play action off of option fakes completely freezes linebackers and safeties.

So I say, go ahead and game plan against the read option aspects of these offenses. Please do. It'll open up so much more.

but wait DC's have seen film on it and they will crush it :laugh3:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I'm sure the DCs will come up with something to slow it down... eventually. It just won't happen overnight like most people seem to think. Took a few years for the Buddy Ryan to counter the WCO with his 46 defense, and a few years for Capers/LeBeau to come up with their zone-blitz scheme against the WCO. Both times, the WCO evolved and overcame. We'll find out if the pistol/ read-option holds up...

The ignorance seems to come from the mistaken belief that the pistol and read-option plays are out of a specific formation and personnel group. Like the wildcat. Since most outside fans only saw it that one or two games, they don't know any better and just listen to the "experts" on TV.

The only gimmick play in the NFL today is that thing GB does with Cobb, Minnesota did with Harvin, etc. where they lined up the speedy little WR at RB and gave him dump passes in space or draws up the middle. That is a gimmick that will get snuffed out this year... and sadly most people don't know the difference between a gimmick play/formation/personnel group and an offense that can be run out of multiple formations and personnel groups like the pistol and read-option. Kind of funny that I keep hearing Packers fans say that the pistol is a gimmick and it'll get shut down, and then they say that nothing will ever stop the gimmick of Cobb as a RB. Ignorance.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

It's about coaching and game planning.

Shanahan's base west coast offense has been around forever and is still successful today. Why? Because as defenses adjust so do the offenses.

People act as if defenses will adjust, and Shanahan and other offensive coordinators will just sit on their hands and not make their own adjustments.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

It's about coaching and game planning.

Shanahan's base west coast offense has been around forever and is still successful today. Why? Because as defenses adjust so do the offenses.

People act as if defenses will adjust, and Shanahan and other offensive coordinators will just sit on their hands and not make their own adjustments.

I have no doubt that Shannahan will adapt and adjust the offense each year. I'm pretty sure Roman/Harbaugh will, but they don't have the track record of Shannahan so I can't guarantee it. Generally though, these guys are already anticipating what defenses will do this year and add new wrinkles to the pistol and read-option packages.

I know the Rams, with Jeff Fisher figured out the 49ers offense last year. They said as much after the 2nd game. So, the 49ers go out and sign ex-Ram Craig Dahl to find out what they did wrong, and change it. That is the type of stuff offensive coordinators and teams do to get better. So, I'm not sure why some fans think that the Redskins/49ers/Panthers/Seahawks won't do anything different from last year... just foolish hopes on their part I guess.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again its people who dont understand the pistol formation and the read option play who say things like that .

most are just trying to get a rise . sure teams will draft certain types of guys who can counter things but in the end the WCO with this innovation can work

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People making these claims about RG3 either didn't watch them play last season or are just plain haters.

Go back & watch the video from last season. You will see way too many times where RG3 took on defenders head on & at a major risk to his body. Perhaps he got away with this in college but not in the NFL & I am sure that both he & the Shanahans understand this. There were truly times watching the video from last season when I cringed at the unnecessary punishment that RG3 absorbed.

None of this is a result of the schemes being run by the Redskins. It is just a matter of RG3 doing the right things (sliding, running out of bounds, etc) that have been discussed a thousand times on forums such as this one. No doubt if we are discussing this then it is discussed all the time at Redskins Park. They simply need to exhibit the same common sense that is already being adhered to in SF & Seattle. I am pretty confident that is the case.