• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pirates' Starting Rotation

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ooops..... the Pirates' page at MLB.com is saying that Leroux is back in the starting mix (along with Sanchez, Locke, Gomez, and McPherson):

Bucs right-hander Jeff Karstens was scratched from his start against Baltimore on Sunday with shoulder discomfort. | pirates.com: News

And just as quickly he probably pitched himself out of being a starting option. I think Sanchez and Gomez have been the 2 best pitchers of the options we have in camp. I don't see Locke as much of anything and McPherson is beginning to look as fragile as Karstens.

So our rotation that was supposed to be our strong suit this season is looking to be in trouble. I admittedly don't put much emphasis on spring training stats, but I do not like for them to be as bad as ours look. Burnett getting crushed while working on his FB location does not give me a warm fuzzy. Wandy playing in the WBC does not either. McDonald you always wonder if you will get Jeckyll or Hyde. Sanchez has looked pretty good his last 2 times out, as has Gomez. Locke and McPherson see above.

I am settling in for a long season but hey look on the bringt side in 2019 we will still have Cole Taillon and Morris under team control. Unfortunately we may not have any offense by that time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just about to say Leroux got pounded today. Not a good time when fighting for a job. With Karstens out the bottom of that rotation will be very weak lets hope it holds out until June (Cole) or someone gets healthy.

I understand fully why they want to wait on Cole to keep him under control more years but if you go ahead and trade for a John McDonald that makes you think they assume they can win this year. If that is case Cole should be starting now because they desperately need him.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Hollingsworth and Alderson I don't ever expect anything out of them i was just mentioning them as players who might start at AAA this year. I don't want them but they might take starts from others.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there is a rumor that the Pirates are interested with Chris Young. If healthy not a bad pickup and if this is true I wonder if Karstens is worse off than truly reported?

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So this is what we have to look forward to....

We have a lot of starting pitching depth. Of course a foot can sink deep into a pile of dog shit. Depth is nothing. Give me quality.

At this point I'm thinking that we better pray that Morton gets back up to mini-Halladay form. We should've signed a real starting pitcher and we should've given a spot in the rotation to Cole. Then it would be

Rodriguez
Burnett
Real FA
McDonald
Cole

and guys like Karstens and Locke would really be depth players.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We have a lot of starting pitching depth. Of course a foot can sink deep into a pile of dog shit. Depth is nothing. Give me quality.

At this point I'm thinking that we better pray that Morton gets back up to mini-Halladay form. We should've signed a real starting pitcher and we should've given a spot in the rotation to Cole. Then it would be

Rodriguez
Burnett
Real FA
McDonald
Cole

and guys like Karstens and Locke would really be depth players.

I think that is what Liriano was supposed to be for us. However Cole had no shot.I also had hoped Morton would be further along than he is.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had to laugh at that metaphor, Illinest..... Thanks for that.

The name of the game remains pitching, especially starting pitching. Yes, the depth is still there..... and yes, quality is more important than depth. With the three locks (Burnett, Rodriguez, and McDonald) pitching in minor league games, ostensibly to give the remaining competitors for the rotation as many opportunities as possible, we don't even know how they're doing. Question marks abound among the remaining 4 starting candidates (as well as the bullpen).

At this point, nothing between 65 wins and 90 wins would surprise me. As my guess in the W-L predictions contest (73-89) indicates, my expectations remain solidly in the lower half of that range.

I continue to admire those Pirate fans who seem immune to the emotional roller coaster which can be generated by Spring Training events. I'm on a downer right now, which isn't helped by the snow (already a foot on the ground and still snowing heavily where I live in Virginia).

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to laugh at that metaphor, Illinest..... Thanks for that.

The name of the game remains pitching, especially starting pitching. Yes, the depth is still there..... and yes, quality is more important than depth. With the three locks (Burnett, Rodriguez, and McDonald) pitching in minor league games, ostensibly to give the remaining competitors for the rotation as many opportunities as possible, we don't even know how they're doing. Question marks abound among the remaining 4 starting candidates (as well as the bullpen).

At this point, nothing between 65 wins and 90 wins would surprise me. As my guess in the W-L predictions contest (73-89) indicates, my expectations remain solidly in the lower half of that range.

I continue to admire those Pirate fans who seem immune to the emotional roller coaster which can be generated by Spring Training events. I'm on a downer right now, which isn't helped by the snow (already a foot on the ground and still snowing heavily where I live in Virginia).

To be honest, I'm surprised you are one to get caught up, Mags.

I didn't see much to get excited about because there was, barring injury, one to two spots open. And those spots would be filled based on little that actually happened during the Spring on the field.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mags I work really hard to not get caught up in the roller coaster, I went into spring thinking we were going to be not very good, as my prediction indicates. Nothing has happened to make me feel good about the team even acheiving my modest prediction. Now that the Brewers have signed Lohse essentially breaking the stalemate that some saw us and them in, I am also having a bit of a downer day.

I really think with the way everything is playing out we will be lucky to win 70 games, but seriously, is it worth it to change my prediction?

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I'm surprised you are one to get caught up, Mags.

I didn't see much to get excited about because there was, barring injury, one to two spots open. And those spots would be filled based on little that actually happened during the Spring on the field.

Hey, element..... my intent always is to pay attention to the facts, seek the full story, look at both sides, engage brain before mouth (or before fingers typing, as the case may be), and enable reason and logic to prevail and guide my emotions..... but I suspect that the Pirates have been too deep in my blood for too long a time. I'm just thankful to have much else in my life (family, friends, good health, comfortable retirement, ongoing learning opportunities, and a lot of interesting things to work on and do, etc.) to help me overcome the chronic disappointment generated by the Pirates for so long. And having other Pirates fans to commiserate with is of major help, as well.

Now, if it wasn't for all this bloody snow.........

Mags I work really hard to not get caught up in the roller coaster, I went into spring thinking we were going to be not very good, as my prediction indicates. Nothing has happened to make me feel good about the team even acheiving my modest prediction. Now that the Brewers have signed Lohse essentially breaking the stalemate that some saw us and them in, I am also having a bit of a downer day.

I really think with the way everything is playing out we will be lucky to win 70 games, but seriously, is it worth it to change my prediction?

Naaah crow..... I don't think it's worth changing your prediction.

I'm with you on the Brewers signing Lohse. I remain happy that the Pirates DIDN'T chase Lohse with a lot of money..... and Milwaukee may be sorry about that contract before it ends..... but it DOES seem to give them a boost at a time when more and more questions seem to be popping up about Pirate pitching.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got enthusiasm from anyone on this board? Most everyone is a realist from what I perceive (yeah a few exceptions) but any discussions have been to polish a turd.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, element..... my intent always is to pay attention to the facts, seek the full story, look at both sides, engage brain before mouth (or before fingers typing, as the case may be), and enable reason and logic to prevail and guide my emotions..... but I suspect that the Pirates have been too deep in my blood for too long a time. I'm just thankful to have much else in my life (family, friends, good health, comfortable retirement, ongoing learning opportunities, and a lot of interesting things to work on and do, etc.) to help me overcome the chronic disappointment generated by the Pirates for so long. And having other Pirates fans to commiserate with is of major help, as well.

Now, if it wasn't for all this bloody snow.........

Yea, I understand where you are at. Last year, there was a point where I actually believed, I started looking at the standings daily, thinking of playoff matchups, thinking of deadline additions. But then they collapsed, that hurt, that was the only time I've been hurt by the Bucs, because it was the only time I truly believed.

It isn't something you can control, it just happens.

Yea, I agree, I'm glad we can talk about everything here. I can't talk to people in Pittsburgh about the Pirates. I feel like they don't know the depth that we talk about here, and it doesn't interest me. I avoid it at all costs in real life, cause it is either a lame joke about the streak or some nonsense about someone Pedro being fat or McKenry's grit.

Anyway, we got a week left till it counts, and Kyle McPherson is currently getting shelled by the Rays. Opening Day can't get here soon enough.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I understand where you are at. Last year, there was a point where I actually believed, I started looking at the standings daily, thinking of playoff matchups, thinking of deadline additions. But then they collapsed, that hurt, that was the only time I've been hurt by the Bucs, because it was the only time I truly believed.

It isn't something you can control, it just happens.

Yea, I agree, I'm glad we can talk about everything here. I can't talk to people in Pittsburgh about the Pirates. I feel like they don't know the depth that we talk about here, and it doesn't interest me. I avoid it at all costs in real life, cause it is either a lame joke about the streak or some nonsense about someone Pedro being fat or McKenry's grit.

Anyway, we got a week left till it counts, and Kyle McPherson is currently getting shelled by the Rays. Opening Day can't get here soon enough.

My sentiments exactly.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Pirate page at MLB.com, Jonathan Sanchez has made the team and will open the season as the 4th starter:

Left-hander Jonathan Sanchez makes Pirates' rotation | pirates.com: News

Given all the circumstances, this is not a surprise. I'm guessing that they'll put Morton on the 60-day DL to make room for Sanchez.

So..... we're down to Locke, Gomez, and McPherson (or an external acquisition) for the final rotation slot.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Locke starts in the rotation (not a surprise).....

.....however, Jeanmar Gomez makes the bullpen??? Is Jeanmar Gomez better than Bryan Morris? I don't think so.

Seems to me that keeping Gomez caps a series of questionable recent roster decisions..... trading for McDonald (instead of keeping DeJesus or Mercer in a backup role), keeping Harrison over Pie or Presley, keeping the thoroughly washed-up Inge (even on the DL).

My disdain for Huntington continues to grow.....

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Locke starts in the rotation (not a surprise).....

.....however, Jeanmar Gomez makes the bullpen??? Is Jeanmar Gomez better than Bryan Morris? I don't think so.

Seems to me that keeping Gomez caps a series of questionable recent roster decisions..... trading for McDonald (instead of keeping DeJesus or Mercer in a backup role), keeping Harrison over Pie or Presley, keeping the thoroughly washed-up Inge (even on the DL).

My disdain for Huntington continues to grow.....

I'm with you Mags. Pie or Presley have to be in on the roster over Harrison. I don't get Gomez in the bullpen. DeJesus seems he could be a longtime middle infield backup if they just give him a shot. I guess maybe they think Mercer can still be a starter? Who knows.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The song remains the same, 2MI types(although Inge doesnt fit that well) and play option games with everyone they possibly can.

Gomez is garbage, but having a longman with a 6 era isnt going to change the w/l record much.

Locke nailing down his place in the rotation would be a huge long term benefit to the Pirates. I just hope he does it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Gomez sucks, but as a guy who is the long man, and doesn't expect to see much action, I understand the reasoning.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My disdain for Huntington is now at an alltime high. He cuts Morris, keeps Gomez and Wilson in the bullpen. There is no reason Wilson should not be starting he is a better oprion than Sanchez and Locke. There is no reason Morris should not be in the bullpen. The trade for McDonald was and is idiotic. Keeping Inge is just as stupid. While I am at it, if you are trying to win, you keep Hanrahan, let him walk after the season, or trade him for 1 prospect that is going to play major league baseball instead of 4 maybe's.

I just don't think he has any idea how to run an organization and his 2 little kronies should have been gone years ago and I honestly hope that they are his undoing in Pittsburgh. It is time for a change at the top to someone that knows what they are doing.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's encouraging that Locke had a nice game against the Yankees today. That should help his confidence heading into the regular season. Sure would be nice if both Sanchez and Locke pitch well (along with the other three, of course).

If the rotation performs, then all we need to worry about is the bullpen, the hitting, the defense, the bench, the baserunning, Hurdle's tactics, etc., etc.